Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Think Newsom has recall in the bag? Don't be so sure

Think Newsom has recall in the bag? Don't be so sure

If you lean Democratic, as the majority of people who live in California do, you’re likely feeling pretty good about Gov. Gavin Newsom’s chances of staving off the recall in today’s election. Recent polls show that only 38.5% of likely voters support recall while 60.1% are opposed. After months of doom and gloom about Newsom’s chances for survival, the word “landslide” has suddenly found its way into headlines.

But polls have been wrong before.

For those who feel that removing Newsom right now would deal the state a catastrophic blow at a time it can least afford it, as The Chronicle’s editorial board does, there are still some worrying numbers out there.

As of last Tuesday, according to data from the California Secretary of State’s office, only about 6.3 million mail-in ballots had been returned, accounting for a measly 28.3% turnout. For context, more than 5.5 million Californians voted for Donald Trump in the 2020 election.

COVID-19 has shown us what happens when too many citizens fail to do their civic duty. More than 80% of eligible Californians have received at least one dose of the COVID vaccine. And yet the failure of even a modest percentage of Californians to follow suit has helped fuel a deadly surge of the coronavirus’ delta variant.

California democrats completely control this state, including the voting. They will win this easily. The state was lost years ago when republicans allowed all absentee voting so the results could be manipulated as the voting window was open. This is why democrats already know the outcome of this election.

PS This is also why democrats push for all absentee voting across the entire U.S>, because they can use it to guarantee votes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
32 minutes ago, ElCid said:

According to CNN and MSNBC, Newsome has won and Elder has conceded with NO mention of fraud or other improprieties in the election.

Too late. MM has already made him his mind it was rigged. Evidence? Newsom's still in office.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

65/35% - that is voter fraud overachievement don't you think?  Last recall in 2003 you had an internationally known movie star and moderate running for the GOP, and a longstanding issue of corruption in the Democratic governor.  Also, in the last 18 years, you have had a bunch of people who would have voted for Newsom's recall leaving California for lower tax states, 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Democrats easily ensured this victory, there was never any doubt as they control all ballots and all voting in the state.

So let me take a wild guess at your take on all elections now, MM. When Democrats win it's rigged but when Republicans win it's a victory for the people. Is that about it?

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, TomJH said:

So let me take a wild guess at your take on all elections now, MM. When Democrats win it's rigged but when Republicans win it's a victory for the people. Is that about it?

What I don't understand is if the Democrats really could just change votes and encourage fraud, why didn't they just take a supermajority in the Senate and House.  I mean, if you're gonna cheat, go all the way, right?  Why set up all this drama in Congress?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Here in CA for this recall,  the Dems did make it as easy to vote as humanly possible since they mailed out ballots to every registered voter.   Everyone.     Voter turnout was key for Newsom and this tactic worked.     It had nothing to do with Covid-19 and safety.    I.e. Newsom and the Dem Sec of State would have done the same to encourage voter turnout if there was no Covid.   

AND since Trump and the GOP have tainted mail in voting,   a lower percentage of GOPers used mail in ballots than Dems (lower percentage of all registered voters within said party).        

Of course there is an integrity  difference between what I'm calling voter-encouragement versus voter-discouragement (what most call voter suppression).    But don't be fooled:  Dems here in CA would use voter suppression if voter-turnout would favor the GOP.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
4 hours ago, ElCid said:

According to CNN and MSNBC, Newsome has won and Elder has conceded with NO mention of fraud or other improprieties in the election.

Refreshing to see someone admitting defeat and not claiming FRAUD!

• Confused 1

These recalls are ridiculous. All that money wasted. If you don't like someone, isn't that what the ballot box is for? And the election is NEXT YEAR! No need to have a recall election. A normal one would suffice! I could see if he committed a crime or something. Just another GOP stunt. Any group who has the bucks can get enough signatures to qualify for getting on the ballot. All the problems CA has and all that money wasted on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Hibi said:

These recalls are ridiculous. All that money wasted. If you don't like someone, isn't that what the ballot box is for? And the election is NEXT YEAR! No need to have a recall election. A normal one would suffice! I could see if he committed a crime or something. Just another GOP stunt. Any group who has the bucks can get enough signatures to qualify for getting on the ballot. All the problems CA has and all that money wasted on this.

The recall law here in CA isn't some GOP stunt;  It  (the law) was favored by the Dem party which is why after the Terminator won under the same recall laws and rules,   the Dems, with a super majority and the Governorship,  didn't try to change the law;  They wanted it just in case a Republican was to win a future election for Governor.   

From a political POV,  the CA recall is similar to the filibuster in the US Senate or Congress limiting a President's executive powers:   when it is used against a party,  that party complains about it, but when that party is back in power they don't wish to change the process. 

Most likely there will be a ballot initiative to change the recall rules (e.g.  instead of only 12% of those that voted in the last election having to sign-up for a recall the percentage would be 20% or 25%).      I support this type of change. 

PS:  One other change being discussed  is raising the filling fee to be a recall-back-up candidate:  That fee is < 5K.    What is interesting is that in a poll Dems favored raising this (most so than GOPers),  thus making it more difficult for everyday \ non-pols \ non-rich folks to be a candidate.    People tend to answer such polls based on the current situation instead what such changes do to future situations.   

• Thanks 2

I meant the current recall was a GOP stunt. Other states dont have this or its skewed with a high bar to make it happen. Seems like in CA its too easy a bar and subverts the Democratic process. What's the point in having elections every 4 yrs then? So much money wasted. I agree, the percentage should be higher. I could see if crimes were involved, but just because you don't like the guy? I don't know much about Newsom to have an opinion one way or another, but with an election one year away, what's the rush? Seem like a recall would favor the GOP as they are outnumbered in CA 2 to 1. Easier to get rid of the gov. than in a regular election.

• Like 2

Satire from the Borowitz Report

Not the news.

They chose to leave rather than put up with a governor who oppressively follows science.
1:15 P.M.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I meant the current recall was a GOP stunt. Other states dont have this or its skewed with a high bar to make it happen. Seems like in CA its too easy a bar and subverts the Democratic process. What's the point in having elections every 4 yrs then? So much money wasted. I agree, the percentage should be higher. I could see if crimes were involved, but just because you don't like the guy? I don't know much about Newsom to have an opinion one way or another, but with an election one year away, what's the rush? Seem like a recall would favor the GOP as they are outnumbered in CA 2 to 1. Easier to get rid of the gov. than in a regular election.

I still don't view the recall as a GOP stunt.  I'm not a member and I supported the recall.    

The biggest stunt was pulled by Newsom,  who told  all other major Dems in the state NOT to run as his back-up.       E.g.  The Lt. Governor.    

Newsom is a selfish elitist that doesn't care about the Dem party here in CA but only his own personal political career. 

58 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I still don't view the recall as a GOP stunt.  I'm not a member and I supported the recall.    

The biggest stunt was pulled by Newsom,  who told  all other major Dems in the state NOT to run as his back-up.       E.g.  The Lt. Governor.    

Newsom is a selfish elitist that doesn't care about the Dem party here in CA but only his own personal political career. 

Why would he risk that? It didn't work the last time. I think people who signed up for the recall should help pay the cost of it. Total waste of time with the election just a year away. If they want to recall him fine. Then they should have a separate election for those running to replace him. The way its set up now. Someone can win who has 20% of the vote. Whole thing is screwy.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Why would he risk that? It didn't work the last time. I think people who signed up for the recall should help pay the cost of it. Total waste of time with the election just a year away. If they want to recall him fine. Then they should have a separate election for those running to replace him. The way its set up now. Someone can win who has 20% of the vote. Whole thing is screwy.

It appears you changed topics;    I agree that the way CA conducts a recall is  screwy,  but what you fail to understand is that this is the way Dems in power want it.   Yes, DEMS in power.     I explained this but it appears you just ignored that.     Again,  after the Terminator won a recall,   the Dems  had a super-majority in the state house and a multiple term Dem Governor (Jerry Brown).    The Dems did NOT try to change how the recall worked because they wanted it in their back-pocket in case a Republican became Governor.

As I already said there should be a few  changes made to the CA recall process,   but that being said it wasn't the GOP that didn't try to make these changes (again, they have lacked the political power to do so since the Terminator's term was over in 2011).      Dems have ALL the power in the state and  did NOT try to change the recall process.

All indications are Newsom was losing this recall until the last week, when the democrats mobilized all their votes and miraculously achieved a very high turnout in the last second with "absentee" ballots. This is the same trck with Biden which was used to win the presidential election. it was all the "absentee" ballots that won it for democrats (wink wink). That's why they want the entire country to go with absentee ballot voting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
15 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

All indications are Newsom was losing this recall until the last week, when the democrats mobilized all their votes and miraculously achieved a very high turnout in the last second with "absentee" ballots. This is the same trck with Biden which was used to win the presidential election. it was all the "absentee" ballots that won it for democrats (wink wink). That's why they want the entire country to go with absentee ballot voting.

I put it down to a lone 400 pound boy sitting on his bed in his mother's basement carefully and expertly forging tens of thousands of ballots in the recall election.  And Hillary Clinton picked up the tab for the postage.  That's how it was done.  Many, many people have told me.  The proof will be revealed on a Wednesday.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Hibi said:

Why would Newsom support a solid alterative candidate on the ballot?     Uh,  because it would have shown that he cared about CA and the CA Dem party;  I.e. that the MAIN goal was to ensure continued Dem leadership.     Instead he put CA as  risk with a Trumper being the possible Governor due to the screwy CA recall process.

So you're correct:  Newsom didn't "risk that",  since,  as  I stated,  all he cared about was his own political career.     

I'll be working hard to defeat Newsom in the next primary.   AGAIN,  I still would like a moderate Dem to be Governor,   but NOT Newsom.     My understand is that most that voted  to keep Newsom did so only because they didn't want a Trumper (NOT because they actually favor Newsom).

15 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

It appears you changed topics;    I agree that the way CA conducts a recall is  screwy,  but what you fail to understand is that this is the way Dems in power want it.   Yes, DEMS in power.     I explained this but it appears you just ignored that.     Again,  after the Terminator won a recall,   the Dems  had a super-majority in the state house and a multiple term Dem Governor (Jerry Brown).    The Dems did NOT try to change how the recall worked because they wanted it in their back-pocket in case a Republican became Governor.

As I already said there should be a few  changes made to the CA recall process,   but that being said it wasn't the GOP that didn't try to make these changes (again, they have lacked the political power to do so since the Terminator's term was over in 2011).      Dems have ALL the power in the state and  did NOT try to change the recall process.

From what I've read they need to have a 2/3  majority vote and then it's sent to the voters. Do the Dems have the votes to do this?