Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Music from the late 60s through the mid 70s

A friend of mine recently said "it was so much better being in your 20s in the 70s than being in your 70s in the 20s".  At age 71, he was correct. I love music and for me the 60s and 70s produced some of the greatest music ever recorded. When I'm alone and  not watching TCM I go to my back porch, fix a cocktail or beer and listen to my old cassettes and CDs from that era.  Chicago, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, Earth Wind and Fire, Fleetwood Mac just to name a few fill the air. I know there is plenty of great music out there today, However,  I'm not a fan of country or hip hop. Over the hour or so I spend re-living my youth, one album/CD/cassette that always ends the session is Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66's Greatest Hits. I don't know why. but that group of songs which came out in the late 60s always takes me to a place of serenity. With all that's going on in the world today it's nice to be able to escape to a special place with great music even if it's only for a couple of hours. Do you have a "fortress of solitude" too?

• Like 2

Taking comfort in the familiar. Most TCM'ers are in touch with that. The past couple of years I've been playing through my old classical guitar lesson books from my college days, only on a much better guitar than I had then. ("You can tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys.")

JZnK8y5.jpg

I listen to the old favorites mainly on You Tube rather than records and CDs, and yes, it's better when alcohol is involved. Still I really enjoy finding newer bands and songs to enjoy. It happens. 

I don't have many regrets, but I do wish I had learned to play the saxophone. I'm really into jazz and the classic rock songs that feature the sax.  My son played in high school and we still have his instrument somewhere in the attic. Occasionally, I think about pulling it out and finding someone to give me lessons. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I don't have many regrets, but I do wish I had learned to play the saxophone. I'm really into jazz and the classic rock songs that feature the sax.  My son played in high school and we still have his instrument somewhere in the attic. Occasionally, I think about pulling it out and finding someone to give me lessons. 

Do it. There are many resources available on the internet for learning music. You could go pretty far into the beginner stage without leaving the house. If you've already got a sax, the biggest expense is already paid. 

Though it's well before my time so I couldn't appreciate it as it was being created, 60s and 70s music IS the best music hands down. My record collection is made up primarily of albums from those times and I'm always falling down the rabbit hole of late 60s psych rock because its all just sooo good. I like to say there's an album for every mood and season when it comes to the 60s and 70s. 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

A friend of mine recently said "it was so much better being in your 20s in the 70s than being in your 70s in the 20s".  At age 71, he was correct. I love music and for me the 60s and 70s produced some of the greatest music ever recorded. When I'm alone and  not watching TCM I go to my back porch, fix a cocktail or beer and listen to my old cassettes and CDs from that era.  Chicago, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, Earth Wind and Fire, Fleetwood Mac just to name a few fill the air. I know there is plenty of great music out there today, However,  I'm not a fan of country or hip hop. Over the hour or so I spend re-living my youth, one album/CD/cassette that always ends the session is Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66's Greatest Hits. I don't know why. but that group of songs which came out in the late 60s always takes me to a place of serenity. With all that's going on in the world today it's nice to be able to escape to a special place with great music even if it's only for a couple of hours. Do you have a "fortress of solitude" too?

When You Speak of "Fortress of Solitude", Are You Solely Speaking of (Sixties & Seventies) Music ? Or Not Neccesarily (?)

I Have Solitude, Unwind, and Decompression Stuff i Listen to (and watch ftm). But, With That Said; That Also Includes A Small Menagerie of Sixties - Seventies Tunes As Well

10 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

When You Speak of "Fortress of Solitude", Are You Solely Speaking of (Sixties & Seventies) Music ? Or Not Neccesarily (?)

I Have Solitude, Unwind, and Decompression Stuff i Listen to (and watch ftm). But, With That Said; That Also Includes A Small Menagerie of Sixties - Seventies Tunes As Well

Not necessarily,  as I listen to a lot of smooth jazz from the 80s and 90s too. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Do you listen to Kenny G?     I ask because at the jazz forum there is a big debate about if his  music is jazz.    Some are saying it isn't even smooth jazz.

While I favor straight ahead \ bebop jazz,   I'm not that big of a snob where I would say any "jazz" that isn't what I like,   isn't jazz at all,  but that is  what a lot of fellow musicians are doing at the jazz forum.

I very seldom listen to music in my home, except at Christmas maybe.  Primarily listen to it in my cars or when I am outback grilling.

Primary music is from late 50's through 60's, although I have some from 70's and 80's as well.   Classic Rock and Roll, Doo ****, Beach Music (lot of Doo **** there), country, some Jazz and so forth.  But also Percy Faith, Ray Conniff and more.  The Faith and Conniff CD's are covers of songs by others from same time period.

Was thinking of trading in my 11 year old car, but I have over 1500 tracks (songs) downloaded into the hard drive.  It also has a six CD changer.   Would be a lot of trouble to download all those songs to a USB or other device for a new car.

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Do you listen to Kenny G?     I ask because at the jazz forum there is a big debate about if [his] music is jazz.    Some are saying it isn't even smooth jazz.

While I favor straight ahead \ bebop jazz,   I'm not that big of a snob where I would say any "jazz" that isn't what I like,   isn't jazz at all,  but that is  what a lot of fellow musicians are doing at the jazz forum.

Not a jazz aficionado but I can kinda see that. What little I've heard of him used to be called "easy listening." I wonder if he gets the jazz label based on his instrument, the way some people think anything with a string section is classical. If he were playing a harmonica, would he be called a jazz harp player? 

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Not a jazz aficionado but I can kinda see that. What little I've heard of him used to be called "easy listening." I wonder if he gets the jazz label based on his instrument, the way some people think anything with a string section is classical. If he were playing a harmonica, would he be called a jazz harp player? 

Good point;    Don't worry,  if I find you playing Variations on a Spanish Theme on a Gibson L-5,  I'm not going to call you a jazz guitarist!

I tend to view genre classification mostly as a marketing tool;    In those good-old-days  that meant what section one would  find an artist at Tower Records.

(with the oddest one being "alterative" for bands like The Cure).

3 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Good point;    Don't worry,  if I find you playing Variations on a Spanish Theme on a Gibson L-5,  I'm not going to call you a jazz guitarist!

I tend to view genre classification mostly as a marketing tool;    In those good-old-days  that meant what section one would  fine an artist at Tower Records.

(with the oddest one being "alterative" for bands like The Cure).

That "Spanish theme" exercise is based on "Leyenda" (which most people have heard even if they don't know it) by Isaac Abéniz, written originally for piano. I've never heard the piano version but it translates so well to guitar, I always assumed it was written especially for it.

I would think Kenny G could be played by Toots Thielemanns on a harmonica and it would sound very natural, but I wonder how many would call it jazz, since harmonica isn't generally associated with jazz.

Does Kenny do a lot of improv? And isn't that sort of a hallmark for jazz soloists? Like a defining characteristic? I don't know. 

53 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

That "Spanish theme" exercise is based on "Leyenda" (which most people have heard even if they don't know it) by Isaac Abéniz, written originally for piano. I've never heard the piano version but it translates so well to guitar, I always assumed it was written especially for it.

I would think Kenny G could be played by Toots Thielemanns on a harmonica and it would sound very natural, but I wonder how many would call it jazz, since harmonica isn't generally associated with jazz.

Does Kenny do a lot of improv? And isn't that sort of a hallmark for jazz soloists? Like a defining characteristic? I don't know. 

Kenny G.  does improvise but unlike straight-ahead jazz it isn't the main focus of the music.    But I still view  what he is doing as "jazz",  based on the harmony he is playing over,  as well as him playing jazz standards every so often (in his own style of  course).    Not my bag, but I see no reason to bag on him (like what is  going on at the jazz forum).

Big Toots Thielemanns fan.    He could  play guitar as well.    I remember seeing him on Johnny Carson and he was funny and entertaining.    Very good musician.    He played a chromatic harmonica and since that isn't a limited instrument like the standard one-key harmonica, I view that as a jazz instrument.

Toots wrote Bluesette,   a really nice song in 3\4 time.        Here is Charlie Byrd and  Herb Ellis doing it.    If you hadn't heard Charlie Byrd you might really like him.  He finger picks and has a very light and mellow sound.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Hogan, Brazil 66 played at my college homecoming when I was a freshman. It's hard to believe now that kids in college would have that much taste that they would hire such a legitimate music combo like that one.

Looking back it's funny because the mini skirts had turned into midi skirts and they were doing their renditions of old songs from a group which had broken up, but had been big in the 60s, The Beatles.

You mentioned all that's going on now. At the time the Vietnam War was going on and we had a lot going on on campus all about it. But the music is still soothing in its own special way.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hogan, Brazil 66 played at my college homecoming when I was a freshman. It's hard to believe now that kids in college would have that much taste that they would hire such a legitimate music combo like that one.

Looking back it's funny because the mini skirts had turned into midi skirts and they were doing their renditions of old songs from a group which had broken up, but had been big in the 60s, The Beatles.

You mentioned all that's going on now. At the time the Vietnam War was going on and we had a lot going on on campus all about it. But the music is still soothing in its own special way.

Wow, I bet that was really special.  They were very talented. The girl that sang "So Many Stars" was fantastic. 

You're right. Things were happening in the world back then too. I got drafted in 1972, but luckily the  war ended before I got out of basic training so I stayed in the states.  I think things just seem worse now because of cable news and social media.  Music is a nice diversion then and still today. I'm sure you remember Woodstock. My buddies and I were going but we got sidetracked in Virginia.  Maybe I shouldn't admit this but we met some girls that had some killer weed so we spent the weekend with them.  Frankly, I'm not sure how I survived the late 60s. Like Robin Williams once said if you remember the 60s, you probably weren't there. 

14 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I Like A Lot Of Stuff. I'll Try And Keep It To (Older) Jazz and Rock-like Stuff.

Am Particularly Fond Of Sunshine of Your Love (Cream). Very Much Enjoy the Wind Cries Mary. LOVE, the Opening of VooDoo Child but, really weird; dont care for the second act of said tune. I Adore Bill Haley & His Comets, Dave Clark Five, along with the Coasters. Gretchen Parlato (sp), Is A (Relatively Speaking) Newer Vocalist that i Enjoy. Am Also A HUGE Fan of Louis Prima. Along with the Likes of Charlie Parker and Charlie Barnett (sp.). Who i Often Accidentally Juxtapose Quite A Bit

I think most folks have a bias toward the music of their youth, which is understandable. I don't listen

to much contemporary stuff, but I'll guess it's as good as other periods of pop music. I do enjoy still

listening to music from the late 60s to early 70s era, mostly the usual suspects--Beatles, Rolling Stones,

Cream, Who, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, CCR, Eagles, et al. 

While I didn't mention The Beatles, they obviously changed everything in the 60s. I was a huge fan and still have all of their albums. I also left out the Beach Boys. Their evolution from surfing music to Pet Sounds was amazing. God only knows where we would be without them.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

While I didn't mention The Beatles, they obviously changed everything in the 60s. I was a huge fan and still have all of their albums. I also left out the Beach Boys. Their evolution from surfing music to Pet Sounds was amazing. God only knows where we would be without them.  

Never cared for the Beatles.  I do have a CD of the Beach Boys' greatest hits and it is entertaining, but don't play it very often.  

On 9/16/2021 at 11:18 AM, JamesJazGuitar said:

Do you listen to Kenny G?     I ask because at the jazz forum there is a big debate about if his  music is jazz.    Some are saying it isn't even smooth jazz.

When I was a wedding photographer, Kenny G was the first thing played by the DJ during the dinner hour.  Thought he was boring to begin with, but after 300+ weddings of hearing that guy just run scales on that soprano sax, I got to really hating him!

Anyway....

Since getting a computer back in '99, I learned to "burn" CDs and made some compilation discs of various songs I liked from a variety of other CDs I have.  Then I discovered both a brother in law of mine and my daughter were involved in the "shareware"   thing(Napster, Limewire, etc.)  and I got them to make compilations of just about every tune from the 50's, '60's and into the '70's that I could recall and that I also didn't have on any other medium source.  I currently have almost two dozen of those discs, and on weekends I'll put six chosen at random discs into my 6 disc CD player, put in on "random", hit "play" and go about my business.  ;) 

Back to Kenny-----

My wife liked him a bit, but for fun, I'd tell her I thought his FATHER was a better musician.  She'd ask, "Who's his Father?"  and I'd wink and say, "why, DADDY "G", of course!"  ;) 

For the kiddies, DADDY "G" (Gene Barge) was supposedly a well known session sax player and often mentioned in various old '50's rock tunes .

Sepiatone

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Wow, I bet that was really special.  They were very talented. The girl that sang "So Many Stars" was fantastic. 

You're right. Things were happening in the world back then too. I got drafted in 1972, but luckily the  war ended before I got out of basic training so I stayed in the states.  I think things just seem worse now because of cable news and social media.  Music is a nice diversion then and still today. I'm sure you remember Woodstock. My buddies and I were going but we got sidetracked in Virginia.  Maybe I shouldn't admit this but we met some girls that had some killer weed so we spent the weekend with them.  Frankly, I'm not sure how I survived the late 60s. Like Robin Williams once said if you remember the 60s, you probably weren't there. 

Hogan, I think I said that about the late 70s.

9 hours ago, ElCid said:

Never cared for the Beatles.  I do have a CD of the Beach Boys' greatest hits and it is entertaining, but don't play it very often.  

Cid, I think you're older than us Beatlemaniacs, you're probably in my older brother's generation.

Yet despite being a Beatlemaniac, The Beach Boys are still my favorite group.

But you must have liked pop music before the Beatles ever came on the scene. Who did you like? Were you an Elvis fan?

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Cid, I think you're older than us Beatlemaniacs, you're probably in my older brother's generation.

Yet despite being a Beatlemaniac, The Beach Boys are still my favorite group.

But you must have liked pop music before the Beatles ever came on the scene. Who did you like? Were you an Elvis fan?

Beatles came on the scene while I was in high school.  I think I like a lot of Pop/Rock music from the 50's and early 60's because that is what I grew up listening to.  Also the local radio station and others we could get played a lot of "oldies" from the 50's.

I really didn't have any favorites - liked most of them and still do.  Didn't really care for Elvis - he was from my 9 year older sister's generation.   Looked at some of my CD's and most of them are actually compilations of various artists from late 50's and 60's.  Do have some Country compilations and artists.  Classical, instrumental, martial - lots of stuff.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:50 AM, ElCid said:

As most here know(and are probably tired of reading) , my wife was 10 years my senior.  She once told me she didn't like The Beatles at first, thinking because her kid sister was so crazy about them, that they too, were just a band of punk kids.  She later claimed surprise that they were all around her age(Ringo and John actually around a year older than her) .  She eventually got around to liking some of their tunes, and though like many, thought Paul was "cute",  she thought George Harrison was more handsome.  And also liked Ringo's big blue eyes.  ;) 

And I always liked The Beach boys AND the Beatles, at the same time too!  :) 

Me?  I like music of all kinds from the 1700's to the 1990's.  Except for some jazz and blues, nothing this century captures my attention. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

As most here know(and are probably tired of reading) , my wife was 10 years my senior.  She once told me she didn't like The Beatles at first, thinking because her kid sister was so crazy about them, that they too, were just a band of punk kids.  She later claimed surprise that they were all around her age(Ringo and John actually around a year older than her) .  She eventually got around to liking some of their tunes, and though like many, thought Paul was "cute",  she thought George Harrison was more handsome.  And also liked Ringo's big blue eyes.  ;) 

And I always liked The Beach boys AND the Beatles, at the same time too!  :) 

Me?  I like music of all kinds from the 1700's to the 1990's.  Except for some jazz and blues, nothing this century captures my attention. 

Sepiatone

I'm impressed if you have music from the 1700s.