Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Couple Days (and change) belated but Better That Than Not AtAll..

No Longer With Us.. In Person; but Happy Birthday to that Incredibly Distinctively Identifiable and Unique Madam,  Reta Shaw. Born: September Thirteenth. 1912. South Paris; Paris Maine.

Would Be A Incredible Whopping One Hundred and Nine. 🎨

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Would Be A Incredible Whopping One Hundred and Nine. 🎨

And why not?  She WAS an incredibly whopping character actress.  One of my "Fab Four"  favorites, that include;

DORIS PACKER

KATHLEEN FREEMAN

THELMA RITTER

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who can argue with this?  A whopping character actress indeed.  

Sepiatone, I'll have to refresh my memory on Doris Packer, but along with Kathleen Freeman and Thelma Ritter, Reta Shaw is most definitely in my top picks, too.  Just the little, delicate gestures she manages when doing an ensemble dance number command my attention.   One of those people without whom the movie business would be sorely deficient.

38 minutes ago, brianNH said:

Who can argue with this?  A whopping character actress indeed.  

Sepiatone, I'll have to refresh my memory on Doris Packer, but along with Kathleen Freeman and Thelma Ritter, Reta Shaw is most definitely in my top picks, too.  Just the little, delicate gestures she manages when doing an ensemble dance number command my attention.   One of those people without whom the movie business would be sorely deficient.

Doris Packer's most famous role is probably Mrs. Rayburn, the principal of Grant Ave. Grammar School on Leave it to Beaver.   She was also Chatsworth's mother, on Dobie Gillis  and had a short run on The Beverly Hillbillies as a trend-seeking society matron.

• Thanks 1

Oh, oh, got it!  The name slipped my mind.  What I remember her from, then, is as the hostess at the yacht club dance in "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation."   

"On the third stroke of the bass drum...."

• Like 1
13 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Doris Packer's most famous role is probably Mrs. Rayburn, the principal of Grant Ave. Grammar School on Leave it to Beaver.   She was also Chatsworth's mother, on Dobie Gillis  and had a short run on The Beverly Hillbillies as a trend-seeking society matron.

She also had a recurring role as Mrs. Somers, wife of a giant shoe magnate on the old GEORGE BURNS and GRACIE ALLEN SHOW.   in the mid '50's

Sepiatone

31 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

She also had a recurring role as Mrs. Somers, wife of a giant shoe magnate on the old GEORGE BURNS and GRACIE ALLEN SHOW.   in the mid '50's

Sepiatone

So, his business specifically catered to the footwear needs of clowns and NBA players perhaps???  ;)

• Haha 1