Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let's just chat about our favorite things about Autumn.

Fall is almost here and for some reason I'm more excited about it than I have been in years past. I always say Summer is my favorite season, but when Autumn rolls around I just appreciate the atmosphere a lot more. From pumpkin spice lattes to the leaves changing color it just has such a cozy vibe. 🍂Not to mention Halloween! 🎃What are some of your favorite things about the season? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

The end of the oppressive Texas heat. 90 degrees at 6 a.m. is not livable. 

Oh heck no, that sounds terrible, and I as a Californian thought 90 at midday was bad. Kudos to you for surviving, but yes thank goodness we'll get a cooldown🙏

34 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Hate the leaf raking /blowing.  

I need one of these.

Leaf blowing (or reef blowing in the case of Spongebob) can be a lot of fun! 😆

3 hours ago, SweetSue said:

Fall is almost here and for some reason I'm more excited about it than I have been in years past. I always say Summer is my favorite season, but when Autumn rolls around I just appreciate the atmosphere a lot more. From pumpkin spice lattes to the leaves changing color it just has such a cozy vibe. 🍂Not to mention Halloween! 🎃What are some of your favorite things about the season? 

Pumpkin Pie, While Viewing the Trouble With Harry.

I Dunno Why, But (while i view it other Seasons) That's An Autumn Film in my book.

• Like 3

The sound of swirling leaves in the wind, they fall and crackle beneath your feet.

The full Autumn moon.

Juicy apples, fresh baked gingerbread, the smell of cinnamon and spices.

Reading Edgar Allan Poe while the wind howls.

• Like 5

The smell of the air.  Getting ready for the holiday season.  Knitting/crocheting warm things.  Hot chocolate and apple cider.  Life, in general, seems to slow down a bit.  At least to me it does.  🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lizbeth4 said:

The smell of the air.  Getting ready for the holiday season.  Knitting/crocheting warm things.  Hot chocolate and apple cider.  Life, in general, seems to slow down a bit.  At least to me it does.  🙂

Yes! I agree, everything just becomes cozy and slowed down in the most relaxing way.

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

On a more practical note, the end of lawn mowing season is in view.

YES!!!  DEFINETLY!!! 

This is actually going to sound kind of bad.  I am horrible at mowing my lawn, especially since my front yard has a very steep hill.  It takes me forever and it always looks patchy and uneven.  One day, (when I was a bit tipsy), I went out and mowed my lawn.  PERFECTLY EVEN ROWS!!!   Ever since then, whenever I have to mow my lawn, I drink one or two beers before hand.  (I'm a featherweight when it comes to drinking).  Works like a charm!

2 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

YES!!!  DEFINETLY!!! 

This is actually going to sound kind of bad.  I am horrible at mowing my lawn, especially since my front yard has a very steep hill.  It takes me forever and it always looks patchy and uneven.  One day, (when I was a bit tipsy), I went out and mowed my lawn.  PERFECTLY EVEN ROWS!!!   Ever since then, whenever I have to mow my lawn, I drink one or two beers before hand.  (I'm a featherweight when it comes to drinking).  Works like a charm!

Mowing season doesn't end here until sometime in November - sometimes it drags into December - just depends on when we get our first freeze.  It definitely slows down with the dwindling sun and cooler temps, but you still have to mow.  It picks up again after just 3 months or so.

My grandfather, who lived on the south Texas coast and never saw snow or ice in his lifetime once asked my Dad, after my parents moved to Oklahoma, how he mowed when it snowed.  My Dad told him the grass dies in the winter and you don't have to mow it.  My grandfather then asked isn't it a pain to sod or seed the lawn every year?  He had no concept of plants going dormant in the winter and coming back in the spring.  After he passed away, my grandmother always spent a couple months with us in the autumn to see the leaves turn, and then again in the spring to see the trees and flowers bud/bloom.  She eventually moved to the same town we lived in.

6 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

YES!!!  DEFINETLY!!! 

That was a plan the late George Jones could have definitely got behind. My front yard is flat as a pancake,

but the back yard has a slight incline to it, nothing to worry about.  

Just now, Vautrin said:

That was a plan the late George Jones could have definitely got behind. My front yard is flat as a pancake,

but the back yard has a slight incline to it, nothing to worry about.  

Lol!  Fortunately, (or unfortunately actually), we've been getting hit by a drought.  I only have to mow my lawn maybe twice a month.  I really do hate drinking during the day, but it makes mowing the lawn SOOOOO much easier, lol.

1 hour ago, Lizbeth4 said:

Lol!  Fortunately, (or unfortunately actually), we've been getting hit by a drought.  I only have to mow my lawn maybe twice a month.  I really do hate drinking during the day, but it makes mowing the lawn SOOOOO much easier, lol.

Sorry to hear that. While I wish I only had to mow my lawn twice a month, I wouldn't want a drought

to be the reason. We're about ten inches over normal rainfall so far this year, and I think it was about

the same for 2020. If one can get a little buzz while still being sharp enough to mow the lawn, why not?

Autumnal weather has certainly arrived in New York City, and I will soon go for my morning walk in Riverside Park.

I'm reminded of two great autumn songs: "October Winds," also sometimes called "Castle of Dromore." (The tune is used very effectively in The Last Hurrah.) Also Gordon Bok's "A Tune for November."  

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the mild weather for me.  Mid Spring and Autumn are my favorite times of year.  And since I don't mow my lawn anymore, the hassle of getting the guy who's SUPPOSED to mow it to mow it more often is given a break too.  Plus, HOCKEY SEASON is on!  GO WINGS!! ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I can't provide any pictures, but perhaps this video clip will help illustrate why for decades Michiganders have taken annual pilgrimages to the state's upper peninsula  each autumn to check out the color changes in the foliage up there...  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1