Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

US military admits it killed 10 civilians and targeted wrong vehicle in Kabul airstrike

MovieMadness

US military admits it killed 10 civilians and targeted wrong vehicle in Kabul airstrike

A United States military investigation into a deadly Kabul drone strike on a vehicle in August has found it killed 10 civilians and the driver and that the vehicle targeted was likely not a threat associated with ISIS-K, announced Gen. Frank McKenzie, the top general of US Central Command, at the Pentagon on Friday.

McKenzie told reporters that the strike -- which he said killed seven children -- was a "mistake" and offered an apology.

"This strike was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport, but it was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology," he said.

McKenzie added that he is "fully responsible for this strike and this tragic outcome."

The Pentagon's announcement will likely fuel more criticism of the Biden administration's chaotic evacuation of Kabul and handling of the withdrawal from Afghanistan more broadly. While McKenzie stressed Friday that future strikes will likely be held to a higher standard, confirmation of the civilian death toll also provides insight into the obstacles ahead for military and intelligence officials tasked with fulfilling President Joe Biden's promise to make the terror group "pay" for its deadly suicide attack in Kabul.

The Pentagon had maintained that at least one ISIS-K facilitator and three civilians were killed in what Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley had previously called a "righteous strike" on the compound on August 29. The investigation released Friday found that all of those killed in the residential compound were civilians.

Biden has given us our worst military disaster since Vietnam and now they can't even do a drone strike without picking the wrong targets and then lying about it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Did Biden order the drone strike?  The military who ordered the strike and the people who carried it out were in place when Trump was in office.  So Trump's people did it.

I swear I started to post that! I knew one of you would. 

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Biden has given us our worst military disaster since Vietnam and now they can't even do a drone strike without picking the wrong targets and then lying about it.

Please be more precise. 

1.  Exactly what "military disaster" are you speaking about in Afghanistan?

2.  Exactly how was Vietnam a disaster?  Our being there in the first place, that we left when we did,  the evacuation, the military's performance or what??????????

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

Yeah, **** happens. But dam isn't a LOT of **** happening with Biden?

More would have happened if Trump had still been president or if he had been allowed to carry out his total abandonment of Afghanistan and Americans and Afghans alike.

Why do you guys try to blame Biden for everything?  He carried out the mission he inherited from Trump and even delayed it so it could be done better - and it was.

Biden may be president, but he is not GOD and can't be responsible for everything people in the military and who work for the government do.

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I swear I started to post that! I knew one of you would. 

Only because it is the truth.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ElCid said:

More would have happened if Trump had still been president or if he had been allowed to carry out his total abandonment of Afghanistan and Americans and Afghans alike.

Why do you guys try to blame Biden for everything?  He carried out the mission he inherited from Trump and even delayed it so it could be done better - and it was.

Biden may be president, but he is not GOD and can't be responsible for everything people in the military and who work for the government do.

Only because it is the truth.

Do you work in the administration? Even for a partisan you are so stunningly loathe to say anything the least bit critical of Biden. You should be on his communications team. Seriously you are every bit as stridently on-message as Baghdad Bob. 

2 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Do you work in the administration? Even for a partisan you are so stunningly loathe to say anything the least bit critical of Biden. You should be on his communications team. Seriously you are every bit as stridently on-message as Baghdad Bob. 

I have no problem saying critical things, but you (and a couple of others) try to blame everything on Biden while not holding Trump responsible at all.  I post when Biden has been unfairly blamed for something he had not part in and usually is the result of incompetence on Trump's part.

They call it the fog of war for a reason.  Those in "the trenches" have to make hard decisions fast based on best intelligence they have.  Sometimes it is wrong.  You and your cohorts were criticizing Biden for the "disastrous" evacuation and when the US military (not Biden) erroneously attacked the vehicle you immediately jumped on Biden.

You are the Baghdad Bob type here, and for those who do remember him, he was the foreign affairs minister under Saddam Hussein and told many falsehoods before  Bush's Iraq War.

I do not now nor have I ever worked for any administration nor have I held any position as a member of a political party.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have no problem saying critical things, but you (and a couple of others) try to blame everything on Biden while not holding Trump responsible at all. 

I don't expect you to remember everything I post, but I'm not going to repeat myself. Suffice to say I do not like trump or maga.

And maybe you have been critical of Biden on something (besides some **** critique like "He's too nice!) that I didn't see, but on everything we have discussed so far, you've been the single biggest Biden fan kid I have ever seen on the net. And that includes Twitter.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I don't expect you to remember everything I post, but I'm not going to repeat myself. Suffice to say I do not like trump or maga.

And maybe you have been critical of Biden on something (besides some **** critique like "He's too nice!) that I didn't see, but on everything we have discussed so far, you've been the single biggest Biden fan kid I have ever seen on the net. And that includes Twitter.

You must not be seeing much if I am "the single biggest Biden fan kid."   I just don't like to see him attacked unjustly for things out of his control.  Particularly when not acknowledging the role that Trump played.  

I just respond to unwarranted attacks and you and others just keep posting them over and over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

All the way back to Vietnam, if only that was true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_casualties_from_U.S._drone_strikes
In October 2017, Trump abolished the Obama-era approval system in favor of a looser, decentralized approach, which gave the military and CIA officials the discretion to decide to launch drone strikes against targets without White House approval.[24] This policy reduced accountability for drone strikes.[25] After Joe Biden took office, he halted counterterrorism drone strikes without White House approval and initiated a broad review of U.S. policy on drone use.[24]

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

2.  Exactly how was Vietnam a disaster?  Our being there in the first place, that we left when we did,  the evacuation, the military's performance or what??????????

The My Lai massacre was one of the most horrific incidents of violence committed against unarmed civilians during the Vietnam War. A company of American soldiers brutally killed most of the people—women, children and old men—in the village of My Lai on March 16, 1968. More than 500 people were slaughtered in the My Lai massacre, including young girls and women who were raped and mutilated before being killed. U.S. Army officers covered up the carnage for a year before it was reported in the American press, sparking a firestorm of international outrage. The brutality of the My Lai killings and the official cover-up fueled anti-war sentiment and further divided the United States over the Vietnam War

• Confused 1

There's a big difference between hitting the wrong vehicle by mistake containing civilians and the brutal deliberate massacre of a village.

During war mistakes i.e. friendly fire does happen unfortunately.

I'm glad the US military publicly acknowledge the horrible mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

There's a big difference between hitting the wrong vehicle by mistake containing civilians and the brutal deliberate massacre of a village.

During war mistakes i.e. friendly fire does happen unfortunately.

I'm glad the US military publicly acknowledge the horrible mistake.

And hopefully these things will be less likely to happen now that the Allies are out of Afghanistan and the tensions will diminish.

I'm sure the Taliban will be left with their own car bomb and suicide bomber problem.

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

The tensions between the (absent) Allies and the forces that wished to expel them - if I wasn't clear.

You were clear. I was hoping to direct some attention to those in Afghanistan who may miss the allies. Chickens at the mercy of the foxes. But they're not our problem now 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ElCid said:

Please be more precise. 

1.  Exactly what "military disaster" are you speaking about in Afghanistan?

MovieMadness.

Still waiting for an answer to my questions.