Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Hats Off to TCM

We all seem to know how to let TCM know when we're displeased, to put it mildly, with their hosts, schedules, aspect ratios, features, and, of course website. Here's a spot to let TCM what we think they're doing right from time to time. On reflection, I think that most of us watch their programs and come to this website because we're intrigued and pleased with their work, rather than peeved at something they've done. Like most moms said at least once, "if you can't say something nice..." I don't want anyone to stifle their voice in the least--I'd just like to create a peaceful little thread where good stuff gets recognition.

To kick this off, I'd like to praise the recent broadcast between the movies of more brief features in praise of particular, and often neglected performers. It seems to me that there have been some new and more varied mini-documentaries added to the rotation lately. I've recently seen appreciations of the great Claude Rains,(narrated by no less than John Gielgud), Rags Ragland, Fritz Lang, S.Z. Sakall, Edward G. Robinson, Ida Lupino and Hattie McDaniel, to name a few. I love this stuff!! Keep it coming, please!!

moira, how right you are. Kudos also to the wonderful "Crime Wave" series of films played all this week, commercial free, uncut and uninterrupted.

Just swell. Delicious black and white gems.

I also got a peek at the "August Under the Stars" movies with a great movie star featured every day. I'm especially looking forward to my gal Barbara Stanwyck all day long. Good stuff from TCM indeed.

Mongo

Absolutely, bansi.

At the risk of sounding too treacley, and since I'm usually one of the first to complain, I'd like to say again how 'swell' this crime wave spate of movies is.

And how pleased I am to see a company promise to fix something and then fix it. That don't happen that often in New York, so I'm quite a cynic.

TCM, whatever you do, DON'T let Rainbow Media or Clear Channel buy you.

thanks tcm for the crimewave series these precious

black & white film gems are like a gourmet meal with

all the trimmings yummy!.......thanks ever so much for this week its super! lolite

I've been quite liberal with my praises for TCM all over the boards, but it's also nice to be allowed to do it again in this thread. So, thanks for all you are, all you do, and all you air for us, your fans, every month! Good job! :)ML

Ain't that the truth, lolite. Imagine how 91 films, for the most part 50 years and older, are giving SOOOO much pleasure to SOOOO many people.

Just think. Fast forward 50 years. Picture TCM still in business..........HAH! Cablevision will have bought them and turned them into a Shopping Channel.

Where was I? Oh yes, fast forward 50 years. TCM will have to come up with NINETY ONE 50 year old films of quality that don't have gaggles of computer generated effects, gratuitious sex, and mindless violence.

Then again, maybe the aforementioned WILL qualify as quality. Who knows.

Unless my head is still here, a la Dennis Potter, I'll be dead.

Great thread moira, especially given all the other stuff I've just weeded through to get to this. Boy, take a few days off and it's hours catching up;- ) But, these are great boards with (few exceptions) a lot of great contributors, which makes it worth the effort!

I was just looking over my WATCHED ON TCM list and noticed that, thanks to TCM, I've seen (and reviewed?) over 300 films in the past year. And, most of these were for the first time ever vs. watching something I'd viewed previously.

All uncut, all commercial free, mostly in letterbox - what more could a classic films fan ask for???

Hats Off indeed, even if it does burn my head;-)

Good move TCM--you've finally started showing some of the pearls from your treasure trove of Warner Brothers' "Merrie Melodies" cartoons. Out of the vault came some sparkling vintage pieces between a couple of movies of late. After The Invisisble Man the other night, you chose a delightful cartoon depicting the shenanigans of all the characters from books coming to life in a library after all the people have gone--H.G. Wells' Invisible Man included, of course!

Just today, prior to The Fighting 69th, TCM played "The Fighting 69 1/2" about the war over a picnic between the red and black ants. I really enjoy these little masterpieces of humourous animation. Please continue to include these films. (No offence, but those travelogues that you guys sometimes show between the flick are really a bore--mixing it up is more fun).