Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The sad, slow death of TCM.

You won't recognize TCM three months from now.

10? Rage? The Hot Rock? Super Cops?

These "classics" never would have been shown on the old TCM, but on the new TCCM, HEY! Anything goes! Just call it "Classic". 

It's only going to get worse.

TCM is dead. Long live TCM!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, ootsy said:

You won't recognize TCM three months from now.

10? Rage? The Hot Rock? Super Cops?

These "classics" never would have been shown on the old TCM, but on the new TCCM, HEY! Anything goes! Just call it "Classic". 

It's only going to get worse.

TCM is dead. Long live TCM!

Actually, 10 has been shown 4 times on TCM.

The Super Cops?  It's been shown 9 times.  It's even been introduced by Robert Osborne.

Is TCM changing?  Sure.  Always has been.  As we creep into the future, what is now considered "classic" (if you can get agreement on that) also creeps forward a bit, year by year, and newer films find their way onto the channel.  TCM never said they would only show films made before 1968 (or whatever cut-off year desired here).   From the first day, they said more recent films would be shown.  You can see that here in Robert Osborne's very first introduction on TCM:

Do I think the films you listed are "classic?"  No, not to me.  But they might be to someone else, and still might be influential, or just entertaining to some.  I don't think the "Maisie" pictures with the great Ann Sothern are "classic" either, but they can be entertaining, and I'm glad TCM shows them.   Otherwise, they'd rarely see the light of day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

This network went from being one of the Greatest ( particularly thanks to Robert Osborne) to becoming a globalist manifesto for people who know absolutely nothing about film; and further have the worst taste in movies. Cows who join wine clubs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

In my opinion, the problem with TCM is not the films they're airing; the problem is the hosts (with the exception of Muller) and the silly attempts to atract "younger viewers."

I happen to like films like The Super Cops. I'll take films like that over another women-are-so-special-no-really-they-are-and-here's-why "documentary" any day.

"Cows who join wine clubs"? Ouch 😆

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Do I think the films you listed are "classic?"  No, not to me.  But they might be to someone else, and still might be influential, or just entertaining to some.  I don't think the "Maisie" pictures with the great Ann Sothern are "classic" either, but they can be entertaining, and I'm glad TCM shows them.   Otherwise, they'd rarely see the light of day.

If I wasn't grateful to TCM for anything else, I'd love them for showing a 1993 film which I somehow missed when it was released: The Age of Innocence.  It's now one of my top ten favorite movies of all time, and if TCM stuck to some hard and fast rule about dates, I'd probably never have seen it. (I don't care if it was made in 1993. It's a "classic" to me!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know we don't like to think about it, but the '70s happened a looooonnnng time ago.   Salutes to the golden age of Hollywood like "That's Entertainment".  or "The Cheap Detective"?  Those were about 'old" films that were maybe 30-40 years old!  Terminator 2 is a 30 year old movie now.  We all have movies that are maybe not the greatest examples of the flimmaker's art, but we love them all the same because we caught them at a certain time of our lives, and there are adults walking around who's happy childhood memories were formed at the dawn of the 21st century.    TCM's been around for a while, and as they say, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I love all the old films they show on TCM, even the not so classic classics, and I hope they continue to show them, but if they ever decide to show "Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" I will not complain.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I concur:  The 1970s is no longer "the recent past".   Even the movies I grew up watching in the 1980s as a pre-teen and then a teenager are not 'recent' anymore. 

I remember watching THE SURE THING (1985) way back when.  John Cusack was 17 when he filmed "The Sure Thing".  He's 55 now.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

THE HOT ROCK (1972) airs all the time on the Fox Movie Channel.  Nothing wrong with it airing on TCM, too, is there?   

It's already been mentioned about THE SUPER COPS (1974) having aired a number of times on TCM so I don't see what the problem is -- other than the OP enjoys being a TROLL!    😁

• Like 1

What's Up Doc?  (1971) is still one of my favourite comedies, and a fine salute to the screwball comedies of the pat.

I would like to add that I would be just fine with TCM showing more recent films still still have TCM relevant content.   Hugo springs to mind.  and that recent biopic about Laurel and Hardy would also be a good choice, I think.

• Like 3

TCM started in 1994 and, at the time, said that 1968 was the 'cut-off' year of the films they [mostly] intended to air -- do I have that right?  (I wasn't watching TCM back in '94; I didn't tune in to Turner Classic until 2002 or so). 

Now it's 2021 and so, if the same notion was followed, 1995 would be the 'cut-off' year for films mostly shown on TCM.   

• Like 2

One of the twelve labors of Hercules was to kill the Hydra, a monster with nine heads on serpent-like necks and venomous teeth ravaging the countryside.  He cut the heads off one by one and they dropped dead at his feet.  The monster was destroyed, but the ninth head was immortal, and would remain a danger.  So he buried it under a big rock.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

10 has been on 4 times before this year.

Yep, I was well aware 10 had aired long before now, as it would be listed very high alphabetically on MCOH's database. I probably can't say when it first aired, since a recent airing will remove all older information from said databse. But, yes, thank you, another indication on here that the original poster on a thread had no idea what the hell he (?) is talking about.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I concur:  The 1970s is no longer "the recent past". 

Hey, let's not get crazy here! 😄

Seriously, half a century is probably getting close to that mark, at least.

And if a human being can be born and grow to adulthood since a movie first came out, then that's an old movie.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

10 has been on 4 times before this year.

Super Cops just had its 9th airing on the channel.

Yes, I remember recording SUPER COPS back in 2014 or 2015. It's an MGM film in the Turner library...so yeah, they're going to broadcast it. 

And they should...it's a very engaging movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sad, slow death of TCM . . .

. . . is ridiculously and presumptuously anticipated, not to mention deplorably and tiresomely wished by whiny, cranky, crochety old fogies on The TCM Message Boards.

I'm certain that there must be some psychological study that would explain why some folks are resistant, and unwilling, to . . . at least, accept, if not embrace, change . . . which is inevitable. Is it biological  . . . neurological -- some sort of chemical reaction inside the brain or the gut -- that causes actual physical pain when something NEW is encountered . . .

"TURN DOWN that #%+&$!! NOISE!! You young punks! You don't know what good music is! TURN OFF that $&+%#!! garbage!! &#$%@*?!! ADD MORONS with your woke,
      Hip-Hop,  BLM, gender-fluid, hermaphrodite, Marvel Universe, Masked Singer $h*t!! GEEEE-ZUS H. KRIST! You got NO TASTE! No foundation for an appreciation of . . . CLASS!
      Not like when I was your age! THANK GOD I was raised 
on The Classics!"

. . . Or is it a virus? Some kind of generational contagion, contracted like a social disease?

I know that more than a few board members are of my g-g-g-generation ("Boomers"). What happened to some of you geezers? What the hell is w-r-o-n-g with you? Why did you turn out like this? When -- and more importantly, w-h-y -- did you become your parents? Your grandparents? Why are you such a . . .

DRAG?!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I may have enraged a few Millenials by pointing out that film,  and suggesting that as much as they rage against the boomers, they're looking at their future.

Personally, I like that they didn't stop making good films after a certain date, and  that good films continue to be made.   Time will tell if some of them are actually great films.

• Like 2

Okay...OKAY! I've just taken the time to get an average year of release of the movies TCM will be showing in the next four days.

Yeah yeah, THAT'S right! I must have WAY too much damn free time on my hands, huh! LOL

Well ANYWAY, here's the year that I ended up with after doing this little calculation:

And sooooo, the NEXT damn time somebody, ANYBODY, comes on here and starts complaining that "TCM doesn't show 'classic' movies anymore" AND/OR "TCM is moving in the 'wrong direction' since Robert Osborne died and went to that big screening room in the sky" AND/OR "TCM has forgotten that they should only show movies that were made before I was born" AND/OR "TCM should only show movies made before 'America went to hell' and so I can be reminded of 'better times'", I'M gonna REpost THIS very post of mine HERE in the damn thing!!!

(...NOT of course that THIS would change their freakin' misconceptions, as it seems NOW DAYS the FACTS of and about ANYTHING don't seem to matter to most people once they've made their minds up about something!!!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

That must be the reason that a slight smell of decomposition comes from my TV every time it is

tuned to TCM. At least get one of the hosts to fumigate the place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TCM pretty much still sticks to the routine of showing the films from the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's during the daytime hours. 

I have noticed they have started airing movies from the 70's and upward a little more often nowadays, but I have no problem with it. There have been great films in recent years as well. 

So I think it's premature to say that TCM is dying. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay...OKAY! I've just taken the time to get an average year of release of the movies TCM will be showing in the next four days.

Yeah yeah, THAT'S right! I must have WAY too much damn free time on my hands, huh! LOL

Well ANYWAY, here's the year that I ended up with after doing this little calculation:

Is that the mean, median, or mode?

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Is that the mean, median, or mode?

I dunno, Rich. You tell me. You're the old math teacher here, not me.

I'd say it's probably one of the first two. "Median", maybe?

(...and considering that I didn't put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it, and so it can't be the last one)

• Haha 1