Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The sad, slow death of TCM.

Here's what I wish would happen, and even though I know that the chances of it actually happening are zilch, zero, nada.

I WISH any of these smiling faces (yeah yeah, nasally Ben needs to work on his) pictured below in this shot here...

HostsRefresh_HPT.jpg

...would FOR ONCE come on these boards, yes THESE very boards that their EMPLOYER set up on the internet years ago for the express PURPOSE to discuss TCM and its fare, would read through this thread IN PARTICULAR, and THEN post THEIR reponses to what has been said in it. 

Now, my guess would be that their responses would be of a higher caliber than mere "mediocrity", as I consider ALL of them to possess an intelligence level at least commensurate to their stations in life, if not higher.

Yep, I'd LOVE to read their replies to some of these (for want of better word) "accusations" which have be levied against them in this thread. Yep, I'd LOVE it!

(...too bad this will never happen, as I'm sure even IF any of them WOULD actually somehow stumble across this thread IN once again TCM's VERY OWN WEBSITE, they'd probably feel there'd be nothing at all to gain by replying in or to it, and thus THIS is what I FEEL is the REAL "shame" of this all!!!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Here's what I wish would happen, and even though I know that the chances of it actually happening are zilch, zero, nada.

I WISH any of these smiling faces (yeah yeah, nasally Ben needs to work on his) pictured below in this shot here...

HostsRefresh_HPT.jpg

...would FOR ONCE come on these boards, yes THESE very boards that their EMPLOYER set up on the internet years ago for the express PURPOSE to discuss TCM and its fare, would read through this thread IN PARTICULAR, and THEN post THEIR reponses to what has been said in it. 

Now, my guess would be that their responses would be of a higher caliber than mere "mediocrity", as I consider ALL of them to possess an intelligence level at least commensurate to their stations in life, if not higher.

Yep, I'd LOVE to read their replies to some of these (for want of better word) "accusations" which have be levied against them in this thread. Yep, I'd LOVE it!

(...too bad this will never happen, as I'm sure even IF any of them WOULD actually somehow stumble across this thread IN once again TCM's VERY OWN WEBSITE, they'd probably feel there'd be nothing at all to gain by replying in or to it, and thus THIS is what I FEEL is the REAL "shame" of this all!!!)

It's recently been a matter of dispute on what the "C" in TCM might stand for.  I think it is clear what the "M" stands for.  "Mum's" the word.  Looks like them's the commands from top-down, lock-step avoidance of this forum, lest somebody break rank.  Just my impression over the years.  This is not anything new.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Movie Collector OH said:

It's recently been a matter of dispute on what the "C" in TCM might stand for.  I think it is clear what the "M" stands for.  "Mum's" the word.  Looks like them's the commands from top-down, lock-step avoidance of this forum, lest somebody break rank.  Just my impression over the years.  This is not anything new.

Interesting here, MCOH.

Have to say this idea of any "command" sent from corporate to avoid any interaction with us "peons" (my word here, not yours of course) is news to me, anyway.

I DO know that years ago when Eddie Muller attempted a dialogue around here, he was met with a slurry of less-than courteous postings by a former board member, and was thereafter never to heard from again...Eddie that is.

But like I said, if what you've surmised might be the true, I suppose this could explain their absence from these board.

(...and so now my question would be: Why then does it seem corporate doesn't frown on their useage of Facebook, Twitter and the other social media sites out there?)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Interesting here, MCOH.

Have to say this idea of any "command" sent from corporate to avoid any interaction with us "peons" (my word here, not yours of course) is news to me, anyway.

I DO know that years ago when Eddie Muller attempted a dialogue around here, he was met with a slurry of less-than courteous posting by a former board member, and was thereafter never to heard from again...Eddie that is.

But like I said, if what you've surmised might be the true, I suppose this could explain their absence from these board.

(...and so now my question would be: Why then does it seem corporate doesn't frown on their useage of Facebook, Twitter and the other social media sites out there?)

I remember when he came by, just a handful of posts.  Not sure what else anyone might have posted before that.

To address your last point - they might not want to represent what their people say while off-camera.  Typical corporate PR nonsense - everything must go through a designated official spokesperson.  Off-site though, they are free to be their own people.  That is just a working theory, that's what it looks like to this outsider, not much else at this point.

After all, mum's the word.  T. C. Mum.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

This would be awesome, Dargo, but let's face it, these message boards are a fairly antiquated technology, and TCM's focus, as far as I can tell, is much more on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. I fear that the TCM hosts long ago dismissed the TCM message boards as a place for the kooks. I can't confirm this, but I swear somebody on here once posted that Robert Osborne, who's very much venerated by the posters on here, was once asked about these message boards, and that he had to roll his eyes and give  a heavy sigh  before replying. I'm reasonably sure the attitudes of "them" toward "us" hven't changed much since then.

• Thanks 2

They never even recommend this board to viewers who may want to converse with other fans in more depth than twitter allows.   We don't exist. 

I looked at Eddie's twitter feed once.  It was buried under tons of pics of actresses who weren't even known for noir. "Happy 125th Birthday to Greta Garbo!"   "The Beautiful Katharine Hepburn"  "Elizabeth Taylor, the sexiest actress ever!"  I don't know how Eddie stands it?

3 hours ago, Katie_G said:

They never even recommend this board to viewers who may want to converse with other fans in more depth than twitter allows.   We don't exist. 

I looked at Eddie's twitter feed once.  It was buried under tons of pics of actresses who weren't even known for noir. "Happy 125th Birthday to Greta Garbo!"   "The Beautiful Katharine Hepburn"  "Elizabeth Taylor, the sexiest actress ever!"  I don't know how Eddie stands it?

That's the point.  Other "newer technologies" don't allow for real long-form discussion, they are basically like fa rt ing in the wind in front of a bunch of anonymous passers by.  At least that is my impression of Reddit which I am on, and the others presumably to an even lesser extent.  Much less useful in function, other than the fact they are the flavor of the month and people old and young mindlessly tend to gravitate towards them these days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This would be awesome, Dargo, but let's face it, these message boards are a fairly antiquated technology, and TCM's focus, as far as I can tell, is much more on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. I fear that the TCM hosts long ago dismissed the TCM message boards as a place for the kooks. I can't confirm this, but I swear somebody on here once posted that Robert Osborne, who's very much venerated by the posters on here, was once asked about these message boards, and that he had to roll his eyes and give  a heavy sigh  before replying. I'm reasonably sure the attitudes of "them" toward "us" hven't changed much since then.

I'm beginning to think those are just thoughts put into people's heads by the Marketing and PR depts of the social media giants.  Keep in mind that, at their core, they are giant data mining operations with huge budgets, the ability to subsidize and the incentive to collect and potentially regulate as much information as possible.  Somebody like that "would" be motivated to call this "antiquated technology".

At the end of the day it's all just 0s and 1s however you want to look at it.  As long as it runs on modern equipment,  a modern OS and receives current security updates, then I don't see a problem.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dargo said:

HostsRefresh_HPT.jpg

I think I recognize the look on the Mankman's face. It's that of a bartender who has to put up

with a bunch of drunks all night long.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, Kikiki said:

As long as the comments remain polite and constructive. No need to stink up the joint. 

For me the main rub is that beautiful logo that just was cast aside for something relatively meaningless. Entities spend millions every year developing recognizable identities; maybe a brand new logo works, but most of the time it doesn’t.  And, the content has seemed to shift ever so slightly since the roll out of the “changes”. I hope the wonderful films of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s aren’t sacrificed for the sake of 70s and 80s films that are shown everywhere else. What has made TCM (or “Tom” as we call it since the new logo) so unique is being able to see films that weren’t readily available anywhere else. It would be a shame to lose that. 

Agreed.  There's nothing disrespectful about helpful criticism. A lot of the regular viewers are very unhappy with the "new TCM" and are glad to have a space with other like-minded viewers to share their thoughts and feelings. TCM used to have a really unique position on cable, and now it's just another movie channel with a lot more commentary. The commentary is nice, but it's the movies we come for. These day-long marathons of silent movies and foreign films I suppose have their audience, but that audience is not me. I love an OCCASIONAL silent and foreign movie, but not a constant diet. Silent Sunday nights can be fun, but more than a few in a row and I need a break.

And don't get me started on these newer trashy movies. Just who is considering these a "classic" by any stretch of the imagination?

The worst part of it all is that I don't think this is TCM's doing. I think everyone who works at TCM has their heart in the right place. It's all Discovery/ATT that's causing this channel to collapse. This has all the fingerprints of a corporate board/management that has absolutely no clue about the value of its talent or possession. What a shame. I'd almost prefer it go independent and have commercials but be back to its old format that the new crap they're showing now. I used to watch TCM almost exclusively. I think I've watched maybe three films the whole of the month of September.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bgwh888 said:

A lot of the regular viewers are very unhappy with the "new TCM" and are glad to have a space with other like-minded viewers to share their thoughts and feelings.

More like a drop in the bucket.

4 hours ago, bgwh888 said:

And don't get me started on these newer trashy movies. Just who is considering these a "classic" by any stretch of the imagination?

Only for people with miniscule imaginations.

There are classics in all kinds of Genres, some "Trashy" movies are also Classics.

5 hours ago, bgwh888 said:

What a shame. I'd almost prefer it go independent and have commercials but be back to its old format that the new crap they're showing now.

This has been proved over and over by the folks who keep track of it to be BS.

Quit spreading it

• Like 1

I don't think the hosts have anything to gain by coming into the forum with a bunch of anonymous posters.  Think there's too much that could go wrong and their image could only be tarnished.  If it were verified accounts where people went under their real names, maybe that would be different, or if there was a mod in charge of approving the comments from members before they were added to a thread, that might work.  Although that was basically what the on-line meet and greet for the last classic film fest was. the conversation is controlled that way, and you still get real responses, but not really what i think people on here want.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Dargo said:

HostsRefresh_HPT.jpg

They could at least pop in to tell us where they stand on Don Ameche, Brian Aherne, or George Brent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

I don't think the hosts have anything to gain by coming into the forum with a bunch of anonymous posters.  Think there's too much that could go wrong and their image could only be tarnished.  If it were verified accounts where people went under their real names, maybe that would be different, or if there was a mod in charge of approving the comments from members before they were added to a thread, that might work.  Although that was basically what the on-line meet and greet for the last classic film fest was. the conversation is controlled that way, and you still get real responses, but not really what i think people on here want.

Agreed.  I have participated on such forums and they work very well.  Forgoing the anonymity and adding mods that actually participate also cleans up the noise.  People stop saying things that they wouldn't say to each other's faces in person.   Then they aren't all afraid to meet up, and they actually do and share pictures from it.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Forgoing the anonymity and adding mods that actually participate also cleans up the noise. 

Yes, in terms of moderation of such venues, a human presence is always better. Otherwise, the impression is, one is dealing with a machine. By their very presence in a forum, moderators can quell problems at the outset. They can intervene in a dispute before it goes too far. These open exchanges between moderator and member are seen by all who read a problem thread. In this way, the forum at large may benefit, by knowing where the boundaries are, rather than continuing along a bad trajectory until they hit the electric fence.

I've seen an admin put out potentially huge fires in  threads, merely by posting one single character in the thread- a period. This says "I am aware of what's going on. I am here and watching." Rather effective (and efficient) as long as the moderator or admin has established a reputation in their forum for being willing to do whatever it takes to maintain order. What is his name? It's right on the tip of my tongue. 😛

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, in terms of moderataion of such venues, a human presence is always better. Otherwise, the impression is, one is dealing with a machine. By their very presence in a forum, moderators can quell problems at the outset. They can intervene in a dispute before it goes too far. These open exchanges between moderator and member are seen by all who read a problem thread. In this way, the forum at large may benefit, by knowing where the boundaries are, rather than continuing along a bad trajectory until they hit the electric fence.

I've seen an admin put out potentially huge fires in  threads, merely by posting one single character in the thread- a period. This says "I am aware of what's going on. I am here and watching." Rather effective (and efficient) as long as the moderator or admin has established a reputation in their forum for being willing to do whatever it takes to maintain order. What is his name? It's right on the tip of my tongue. 😛

Harvey?  😁

• Haha 2

I would like to say that I think Eddie genuinely admires Katharine Hepburn. I have a vague memory of him discussing her with admiration in an introduction to some film, I think in a conversation with Ben. So at least any references by him to her in a TCM promo I don't think are corporate dictation to talent to shoehorn in performers with many works in the library. I think that's something he genuinely feels.