Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone remember the name of a movie where the cook was trying to figure out how to divide, I believe,  3 squabs for dinner among the too many guests & then the hostess informed her they'd be 2 more for dinner? It might've been a musical comedy.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, Kandis said:

Does anyone remember the name of a movie where the cook was trying to figure out how to divide, I believe,  3 squabs for dinner among the too many guests & then the hostess informed her they'd be 2 more for dinner? It might've been a musical comedy.

Hi Kandis, I haven't seen it in many years, but in the Oscar-winning film Babette's Feast (1987), quail in puff pastry is one of the dishes being prepared for 11 guests (who suddenly expand to 12 with the last-minute addition of a military general). Not a musical comedy by any means, but a film with many moments of gentle humor. Perhaps not what you had in mind, but it's the closest thing I could think of. (The quail can be seen before cooking, from 0:40-0:54 in the clip below.)

• Like 1

the 'not enough squab' must be a popular plotline---the Thanksgiving episode of the old Our Miss Brooks tv show used the exact same thing...only there was only one squab, and a lot of people showed up expecting turkey.

Hi, Yes I know the film.  it is EVERYBODY SING (1938) with Judy Garland, and the cook (Olga) was played by FANNY BRICE.    Judy Garland fans love this film because its 'early Judy' and she's in almost every scene.  Not a bad film, and Judy was in great voice!

Thank you all for your responses! It's  one of those things you get in your mind & you go nuts trying to figure it out. I'm now going to see & enjoy Everybody Sing again.

4 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Haven't seen squabs on a menu at a restaurant in some years. 

The last time I ordered squab was over 3 years ago in France.   Don't see it here in So Cal.