Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Popular movies that you hate

This thread has probably been started before in the past, but I am curious.  What are some really popular classic movies that you just can't stand?

The biggest one for me has to be "Auntie Mame" (1958).  I was cringing all the way through the movie.  I eventually just shut it off when there were only about 15 minutes left.

• Like 1

FORREST GUMP, hands down. Everyone I know gushes over it, including my sister. My mom shares my disdain for it though.

It's a shame, because I really do like Tom Hanks in just about anything he does, but I just was not bowled over by the film. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

FORREST GUMP, hands down. Everyone I know gushes over it, including my sister. My mom shares my disdain for it though.

It's a shame, because I really do like Tom Hanks in just about anything he does, but I just was not bowled over by the film. 

I watched it somewhat recently and was wondering why it was loved so much.  seems rather silly to me now.

• Like 2

Forest Gump bothers me for personal reasons (I had a **** brother and most movies tend to show higher functioning individuals were mental/physical disabilities).

I hated the Leonardo/Kate version of Titanic.    Prefer the Clifton Webb/Barbara Stanwyck version.

A lot of people gushed over The Greatest Showman (didn't like that either).

• Like 1

Well, those mentioned so far are fairly recent flicks.  But, in the "classic" vein, well....

Everyone here knows I just can't stand BRINGING UP BABY.  

Another one is THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.   And for some reason I just couldn't get into MRS. MINIVER.  And although I loved the novel, and am too a huge fan of PAUL MUNI,  the '57 film adaptation of THE LAST ANGRY MAN was a huge disappointment to me.  And let's not even mention THE SILVER CHALICE!  :rolleyes:

As for those mentioned earlier,   I wonder what kind of brother a ****brother is.  :blink:  Pleas clarify Chaya.

I liked(and still do) FORREST GUMP much better than the book.

And thought  the Leonardo/Kate version of TITANIC was OK.  Certainly better effects and d storyline than the old Webb/Stanwyck flick, but I still like that one too.

And if THE WAY WE WERE is considered a "classic", I fail to get the why of that also.  BOOOOOO-rinnnnng!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Off the top of my head- I'm gonna have to go along with Elaine Benes- The English Patient

Avatar as well. It made a gajillion dollars worldwide, but it was boring and ridiculous. Bubblegum for the mind.

The Sixth Sense. I see dumb people

Classic films? Wuthering freaking Heights.  Kill me now. I don't care about Heathcliff. I don't care about Cathy. Get off the screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gypsy and 2001 a space odyssey....

karl malden gushing over Rosalind Russell is simply not believable...like when she rushes over to Herbie and plants a big wet slobbery kiss on him for being such a lovesick fool over her...

he shoulda screamed for help and had her arrested for assault.

:lol:

Movies! TV Network | Everything's Coming Up Gypsy

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

This thread has probably been started before in the past, but I am curious.  What are some really popular classic movies that you just can't stand?

The biggest one for me has to be "Auntie Mame" (1958).  I was cringing all the way through the movie.  I eventually just shut it off when there were only about 15 minutes left.

Then you absolutely don't want to see the 1974 musical version, "Mame" with Lucille Ball.  Leonard Maltin rates it as a Bomb.  More like an Atom Bomb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Avatar. Didn’t get the appeal of it. Most super hero movies seem ridiculous and so predictable. And boring. 

Kate/Leo version of Titanic was ok, but the effects were the reason to watch. Barbara and Clifton had a far superior story. Would love to see a fusion of the effects from Kate/Leo with the story from Barbara/Clifton. That would be a movie I’d stand in line to see. 

17 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

Hey, me too !  I can't stand  "Auntie Mame".  I only saw it once, and that was enough  (although yes,  I did stick it out til the very end.)  And I usually like Rosalind Russell.  Actually, it isn't her fault the film is rubbish.   It just has no continuity,  years go by in seconds,   you never get a handle on what Mame is all about,  it's not funny  ( and I think it's supposed to be )  and it's not engaging.

I've actually read the Patrick Dennis novel it's based on.  The book is a lot better.  (although not exactly the Great American Novel.)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

Doctor  Friggin'  Zhivago .  Which TCM loves to show, it seems every other week.   I cannot understand why this looong  over-wrought film is so popular with so many.   It's too long,  I get sick of all the snow,  and I get sick of Lara's long-suffering smile.   Oh,  the poor dears,  having an affair in the middle of a revolution,  it's so hard to meet.  Every time I hear that "Somewhere My Love" theme,  I want to whack a samovar over the besotted couple's heads.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Pinocchio. Hailed by some as Disney's masterpiece. Great animation, I know, but the story and characters have always left me cold.

And, no, I'm not lying.

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Doctor  Friggin'  Zhivago .  Which TCM loves to show, it seems every other week.   I cannot understand why this looong  over-wrought film is so popular with so many.   It's too long,  I get sick of all the snow,  and I get sick of Lara's long-suffering smile.   Oh,  the poor dears,  having an affair in the middle of a revolution,  it's so hard to meet.  Every time I hear that "Somewhere My Love" theme,  I want to whack a samovar over the besotted couple's heads.

If I could I would have checked LIKE besides the laughing one. I agree completly. I saw Doctor Zhivago in a theater when it was first released, once was enough. There are some beautifully filmed scenes but the film is so long, so tedious and the fate of both Yuri and Lara so depressing., Not a favorite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Can't really say I "hate" the following film here, but like some have mentioned about Forrest Gump, I just could never understand why the movie about THIS little guy HERE is so beloved by so many people...

mzm.oyufnaxp.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Come on, Dargo, how can you NOT love E.T.?! He's just so darn cute!

Just pulling your leg. You're not the only one who dislikes E.T. A lot of people I know do.

Speaking for myself, it's been a favorite of mine since childhood. I can never watch the ending without feeling weepy-eyed.

1 minute ago, BamaDillert said:

While “hate” doesn’t quite fit, Some Like It Hot loses its appeal for me after about one hour in, and then there’s still over an hour to go.

I like SOME LIKE IT HOT, but my mom hates it with a passion and she usually loves Jack Lemmon. She just doesn't go for the guys-in-drag type flicks.

I usually don't post in the "hate" threads but . . .

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (as others have mentioned:  I'm glad Julie Christie was awarded her Oscar for DARLING (which I like a lot) and not for DOCTOR ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

FORREST GUMP (as others have mentioned):  I'm not a Tom Hanks fan,  but this one is a whole other level of hate.

• Like 1

It's weird, watching the movies that a video generation thinks are "classics", on the fandom for YouTube Reactor recommendations:
Imagine going back to 1999, and telling everyone that audiences loved The Green Mile, because they wanted to confuse it with Shawshank Redemption.  Or go back to 1987, and try to get a conversation started about what future instant classics The Goonies or The Monster Squad are going to become.

Oh well, at least I lived long enough to see the first Shrek not age well, along with the others.  Maybe if I stick it out another ten years, The Lion King will finally start to annoy them.

Pinocchio. Hailed by some as Disney's masterpiece. Great animation, I know, but the story and characters have always left me cold.

I tend to feel the same about Sleeping Beauty, since that one didn't have Jiminy Cricket in it.  I'm no fool, no-siree...

51 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Can't really say I "hate" the following film here, but like some have mentioned about Forrest Gump, I just could never understand why the movie about THIS little guy HERE is so beloved by so many people...

Well, the "why" is Steven Spielberg and John Williams, but it still wasn't enough to make me not find Melissa Matheson's all-adults-are-bad fantasy condescending.

As for Forrest Gump, there are many ways it could have gone wrong, but casting Tom Hanks wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

We're all entitled to our opinions. however, I have to say, Some Like it Hot and Auntie Mame  ( especially if you mean the Roz Russell film  ) yikes! Couldn't disagee more with those 2 choices. Cant help but wonder what films you do like? 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

We're all entitled to our opinions. however, I have to say, Some Like it Hot and Auntie Mame, yikes! Couldn't disagee more with those 2 choices. Cant help but wonder what films you do like? 

It’s not like Auntie Mame is considered an all-time masterpiece.  A lot of people find it very obnoxious. I know I’m in the minority on Some Like It Hot, though. It just doesn’t work for me. Hands down my favorite Billy Wilder movie is Ace in the Hole.  After that probably either The Apartment or Sunset Boulevard.

One particular Disney movie I've no use for is FANTASIA (1940).  Meh.  Couldn't get through it.  I did not find it interesting in any way.   In short, I hate it.

FORREST GUMP is ok, but if I never saw it again -- and I probably won't -- I won't lie on my deathbed someday thinking "If only I'd watched "Forrest Gump" again my life would be complete". 

→ SAGE WISDOM:  LAHF IS LAHK A BOX O' CHOKOLITTS . . . YA NEVER KNOW WHICH OF THEM THERE PAPER SACKY-THINGS THE RABBIT DONE SHAT IN!  HELL YES! 

HEY, THIS TASTES LAHK SHEE-IT!  DURN RABBIT!  I'M GONNA USE HIS HAHD (Hide) FER TARGIT PRAC-TISE!"

---------------------------------

2001:  A SPACE ODYSSEY should have been 'sold' to moviegoers back in '68 with a box of 'No-Doz' when entering the theater.   Cos you'll need 'em to stay awake . . .

I don't hate BEN-HUR or LAWRENCE OF WESTERN SLOVENIA but every time these 2 movies come on TCM I turn the channel 'Off'.  They don't interest me.  It matters little how well-made they are -- I'm not interested. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BamaDillert said:

It’s not like Auntie Mame is considered an all-time masterpiece. A lot of people find it very obnoxious. I know I’m in the minority on Some Like It Hot, though. It just doesn’t work for me. Hands down my favorite Billy Wilder movie is Ace in the Hole.  After that probably either The Apartment or Sunset Boulevard.

Those are great films and Wilder is my favorite director, are there any just straight comedies without the drama you like ? btw, The Apartment is on my favorite 10 films list.

• Like 1