Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Popular movies that you hate

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I don't hate THE SOCIAL NETWORK, but I also don't grade it as highly as others do.

I'm mixed on David Fincher.....I really like SEVEN, but I can't stand ALIEN 3. The rest of his work is between average and below average or somewhere in between.

Fincher has a unique darkness to his films that i like.  Think many of his films will become cult classics over time (Fight Club, Seven) but my personal favorite is Benjamin Button which i know many people either don't like or only like the first half.  Fitzgerald is my second favorite author and i thought this film was pretty amazing especially given the source material which is pretty weak and vague (not a typical Fitzgerald story).

One film of Finchers that i really don't care for is the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which was decently made, but just didn't need to be made period.  I love the original Swedish film versions of these stories.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been watching a lot of noir the past 6 months. Enjoyed most of the films, even ranked them on a star system.

But I gave The Postman Always Rings Twice zero stars. Found the plot poor especially.

The only good part was Lana Turner's stunning entrance. She was breathtaking.

• Thanks 1

Are there any The Life of Emile Zola fans?  Because given the power and malice of the conspiracy against Dreyfus, the rather bland presentation of it in this movie is just a wasted opportunity.

7 hours ago, skimpole said:

Are there any The Life of Emile Zola fans?  Because given the power and malice of the conspiracy against Dreyfus, the rather bland presentation of it in this movie is just a wasted opportunity.

I thought Joseph Schildkraut did a wonderful job as Captain Dreyfus, but it was indeed a fictionalized biography film. I have read that Jack Warner refused to have the word "Jew" written or spoken in the film in order to  not potentially hurt the film's chances of success in Germany.

There are quite a few  contenders, but the popular film I hate most is Pretty Woman.

Not just because it's a rather stupid film with the unlikely premise of a rich businessman picking up a street prostitute rather than other options, or because of the  way he treats her for most of the movie, but because everyone I knew raved about it and called it a Cinderella story. 

I've loved the Cinderella story all my life and this was, if anything, the Ugly-Stepsister Wins story.  The step-sister and step-mother were the materialistic ones who only cared about clothes and were falsely flirtatious with men for money. They were also lazy and would have done anything rather than menial work.  Well our pretty woman was ready to go with any man who had a few dollars and her biggest dream was to buy the garish bling on Rodeo Drive and be fawned over by the sales women.

A true Cinderella story would have had her working as a janitor in one of Richard Gere's office buildings.  He would have liked her personality as well as her looks, she would have  been shown unable to afford her mother's medicine  and the story would have moved on from there. 

On the other hand,  I loved the Lily James, "Cinderella" and I'm glad some little girls are hearing that it's a good thing to be kind as well as fashionable.

I know Hollywood has always  loved the hooker with a heart of gold story  and I like the old  pre-code ones  with a touch of realism like Baby Face, but Pretty Woman just annoyed me.

• Like 2

I actually liked it more than I thought I would.  But too, never really considered it a "Cinderella" story.  But it was one of those unlikely tales of how the two changed each other for the better.  Usually there's the "she changed him" or He changed her" movies, but combining the two seemed to work for me in this one.  And really......

In "Cinderella" the ugly stepsisters weren't "falsely" flirtatious at all.  They flirted with the prince in earnest.  But it was THEY which was false.  ;) 

I don't know(or can't remember, there's so many pages to this thread)  If I mentioned them already or not, but those TRANSFORMER MOVIES irk the Hell out of me!  

Sepiatone

21 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

In "Cinderella" the ugly stepsisters weren't "falsely" flirtatious at all.  They flirted with the prince in earnest.  But it was THEY which was false

Right.  My writing was false, just as  they were false.  Their flirting was as true as flirting can be, but the impression they were trying to convey, that is, that they really liked the prince, was not true.  The impression that is.   I think.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

There are quite a few  contenders, but the popular film I hate most is Pretty Woman.

Not just because it's a rather stupid film with the unlikely premise of a rich businessman picking up a street prostitute rather than other options, or because of the  way he treats her for most of the movie, but because everyone I knew raved about it and called it a Cinderella story. 

I've loved the Cinderella story all my life and this was, if anything, the Ugly-Stepsister Wins story.  The step-sister and step-mother were the materialistic ones who only cared about clothes and were falsely flirtatious with men for money. They were also lazy and would have done anything rather than menial work.  Well our pretty woman was ready to go with any man who had a few dollars and her biggest dream was to buy the garish bling on Rodeo Drive and be fawned over by the sales women.

A true Cinderella story would have had her working as a janitor in one of Richard Gere's office buildings.  He would have liked her personality as well as her looks, she would have  been shown unable to afford her mother's medicine  and the story would have moved on from there. 

On the other hand,  I loved the Lily James, "Cinderella" and I'm glad some little girls are hearing that it's a good thing to be kind as well as fashionable.

I know Hollywood has always  loved the hooker with a heart of gold story  and I like the old  pre-code ones  with a touch of realism like Baby Face, but Pretty Woman just annoyed me.

i like the film- there's some clips from the film that will always be remembered, but i would like to see the darker, original script get made.

In regards to movies about "Cinderella" don't forget the 1977 adult-oriented version of CINDERELLA starring Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith, Kirk Scott, Brett Smiley and Sy Richardson.

It's a comedy that's rated [R] or 'Unrated' depending on which version you get hold of.  One version is dirty; the other is dirtier.  

Notable '70s tackiness not likely you'd see in 2021:  Black male actor SY RICHARDSON plays "The Fairy Godmother" and queens out royally; instead of turning pumpkins in to a carriage for Cindy he gathers up watermelons.  Yes, friends, it's that kind of movie.   🍉🍉 

But, hey, if you're tired of watching bland "Cinderella" movies then check this version out.  Directed by actor Michael Pataki.  The late Cheryl Smith plays it straight as "Cinderella" while everyone else seems to camping and/or hamming it up. 

• Like 1

'98's EVER AFTER, with DREW BARRYMORE is a pretty good version of the Cinderella story.  But of course, we know ANDREA meant something else by her "Cinderella story" tag on PRETTY WOMAN.

Another example might be ROCKY('76) which I've always liked.   Or any other "rags to riches" movie story.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'll repeat from my thread that one popular movie that I hate(and always have) is...

THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY which was on at the time I made the thread as it being on at the time reminded me of the fact.  ;) 

And had no use for that stupid theme music that became popular too.  In fact(with flame suit on) I pretty much felt all of Morricone 's Eastwood "spaghetti Western" scores blew chunks.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
On 10/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, AndreaDoria said:

Mostly because corporate 90's Disney TOLD them to.  It's Shaw's "Pygmalion".

(Even with Shaw's ambiguous  ending in the original script that Disney steamrollered, turned into a happy ending, and scribbled their own IP property references over in the dialogue.)

I don't know(or can't remember, there's so many pages to this thread)  If I mentioned them already or not, but those TRANSFORMER MOVIES irk the Hell out of me!  

Francis Ford Coppola's advice for young screenwriters was, "Write your most perfect screenplay, and then rip out Act 1."

If you don't understand what he meant, watch Michael Bay tickle himself with almost an HOUR of moronic TV-sitcom relief before anything remotely robotic shows up in the stories.  😣

(And I may have said that too, but since it's now Four Weeks Later, I didn't want to bother to check.)

Yeah, I never understood the popularity of those spaghetti westerns either.  And to top it off, most of them were loooooong, or maybe just felt like it.   I did like Duck, You Sucker! with Rod Steiger as I recall, but not enough to watch it again.

9 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Citizen Kane. I found it dull and taxing for the majority of the runtime, and was left with the feeling of "that's it?" once I had finished watching it. 

That was my first reaction. It's an acquired taste for many. 

• Like 3

The Maltese Falcon.

Love all of  the actors in the film, Love the director, Love a lot of the aesthetic elements in the film. The movie as a complete presentation does nothing for me.

I would rather watch Bogey in Key Largo 5x straight than sit through the Falcon.

Just one man's opinion.

• Like 1