Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Popular movies that you hate

13 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Those are great films and Wilder is my favorite director, are there any just straight comedies without the drama you like ? btw, The Apartment is on my favorite 10 films list.

Unfaithfully Yours, Divorce Italian Style, Trouble in Paradise, Monsieur Verdoux just to name a few. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised at all the negativity about two Roz Russell movies that I love: Auntie Mame and Gypsy.

I think the only movie that I really HATE is Brazil (1985), a revolting, pretentious pile of ....  But it's not really a popular movie.

A popular movie that I dislike and think is wildly overrated is Double Indemnity.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Swithin said:

A popular movie that I dislike and think is wildly overrated is Double Indemnity.

Just could never get over those outward swinging apartment doors, could ya Swithin.

(...or is it all those times MacMurray says "Baby"?) 

;)

• Like 1

I Have A Very Hard Time Liking My Fair Lady. 

While i dont (at all) so much "HATE" These Other Two: the Very (Very) Tail End of North By Northwest has always highly perplexed me. (And) while the first eight innings of the Great Escape are, Well.. Great. Why (Ninety-Eight Percent of) Everyone Gets Slaughtered by said Films End is Beyond me.

Ooooh - I hate to upset people but there are some classic western musicals that just don't do it for me.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Yes - the dancing and choreography in some of the numbers is amazing but the story bothers me.  It's a really sexist story about ill-mannered brothers capturing brides to take care of them.  I don't get the humor and the songs are not memorable for me.

How the West Was Won

This epic film from 1962 is packed with stars and was very acclaimed but it just felt long to me.  I didn't get engaged with the characters.

Paint Your Wagon

Yikes!  Two great actors are in this movie, Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin, but they are used so poorly.  They actually do their own singing.  Ouch.

52 Years Ago, the Biggest Movie Flop in the West Was Filmed in Oregon |  Portland Monthly

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

FORREST GUMP, hands down. Everyone I know gushes over it, including my sister. My mom shares my disdain for it though.

It's a shame, because I really do like Tom Hanks in just about anything he does, but I just was not bowled over by the film. 

Favourite T. Hanks Roles of Mine: Cloud Atlas. News of the World. A Hologram For the King.

*i know this is Off Topic Lisbeth4 so if You Come Across this response and feel it has No Place here, lemme know and i'll try and disappear it.

8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Gypsy and 2001 a space odyssey....

karl malden gushing over Rosalind Russell is simply not believable...like when she rushes over to Herbie and plants a big wet slobbery kiss on him for being such a lovesick fool over her...

he shoulda screamed for help and had her arrested for assault.

:lol:

Movies! TV Network | Everything's Coming Up Gypsy

No Disrespect for those who Love it; but Spot On for 2001. Came Across One Poor Chap Some Years Ago Who Claimed Space Odyssey was the GREATEST film ever..

Couldnt Back It Up.

23 hours ago, Lizbeth4 said:

This thread has probably been started before in the past, but I am curious.  What are some really popular classic movies that you just can't stand?

The biggest one for me has to be "Auntie Mame" (1958).  I was cringing all the way through the movie.  I eventually just shut it off when there were only about 15 minutes left.

Uncut Germs.

Titanic.  ~ PUKE ---

Avengers (98% or so of 'Em)

Close Encounters of the Boring Kind.

Knives Out. (Has GOT to Be One of the Boringest, Most Anticlimactic Final Scenes Ever, in film.)

E.T.

Empire Strikes Back.

Anything, besides White Christmas since that's a "classic", that Danny Kaye has been in irritates me to no end. I don't want to use the word hate because that doesn't seem nice in my context, but I've grown to have a strong loathing towards the man. Granted, I've only sat through like 3 or 4 of his films, but that was enough for me to never want to sit through one again.🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

Favourite T. Hanks Roles of Mine: Cloud Atlas. News of the World. A Hologram For the King.

*i know this is Off Topic Lisbeth4 so if You Come Across this response and feel it has No Place here, lemme know and i'll try and disappear it.

No problem from me!  🙂

• Like 1

I suppose one could say because I've never given it a chance to like it and thus would have no legitimate right to hate it, BUT I've never been able to get past the first 20 minutes or so of A Clockwork Orange.

(...OR, maybe it's just the idea that I've never felt the need to watch such ultra-violence in ANY movie, and so JUST to be introduced to a treatise about the concepts of free-will, psychological conditioning, governmental overreach and the dangers of conformity)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Come on, Dargo, how can you NOT love E.T.?! He's just so darn cute!

Just pulling your leg. You're not the only one who dislikes E.T. A lot of people I know do.

Speaking for myself, it's been a favorite of mine since childhood. I can never watch the ending without feeling weepy-eyed.

I think this comment of yours here Beth, that E.T. has been a favorite of yours "since childhood", might help explain why I have never been all that impressed with this particular Spielberg movie.

Ya see, I was already 30 years of age when it was first released.

(...and remember rolling my eyes when I watched it back then at how it seemed most all of the adults characters in it were portrayed as either clueless or malevolent)

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

I think this comment of yours here Beth, that E.T. has been a favorite of yours "since childhood", might help explain why I have never been all that impressed with this particular Spielberg movie.

Ya see, I was already 30 years of age when it was first released.

(...and remember rolling my eyes when I watched it back then at how it seemed most all of the adults characters in it were portrayed as either clueless or malevolent)

I'm an adult and I still love the film. 

Maybe I'm just an old softie, but I love movies that can touch your heart and E.T. did that for me. My mom was already over 40 when the movie came out and she loved the movie and still does.

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

I suppose one could say because I've never given it a chance to like it and thus would have no legitimate right to hate it, BUT I've never been able to get past the first 20 minutes or so of A Clockwork Orange.

(...OR, maybe it's just the idea that I've never felt the need to watch such ultra-violence in ANY movie, and so JUST to be introduced to a treatise about the concepts of free-will, psychological conditioning, governmental overreach and the dangers of conformity)

Now I can certainly understand your feelings about A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. And I'm one of those who consider it a classic.

It certainly is a difficult film to watch, and Alex DeLarge (Malcolm McDowell) has to be one of the most repulsive characters to be put on film, but as bizarre and terrible as it may sound, he's still one of those characters that you can't take your eyes off of. 

McDowell himself said in an interview that Alex was a wicked SOB. I certainly can't dispute that. Yet he does do a good job in also making Alex human. You're reminded that for all the evil that Alex does in the first half of the movie, he's still a human being. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

My favorite Tom flicks are SPLASH, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, and ROAD TO PERDITION.

• Like 1

I hate GREEN BOOK (best picture Oscar 2018). Here are a few of the many reasons why.

• Once it is established that Tony (Viggo Mortensen) is a racist, the movie becomes just a predictable countdown to Tony's Christmas dinner with and absolution by a black person (Mahershala Ali as Dr. Stanley)
  • Because he is working-class Italian-American, the Tony character is fair game to portray every goombah stereotype (uneducated, bigoted, chain-smoking, gluttonish, mob-affiliated)
  • Because he is an upper income black person, Dr. Stanley has to be an obvious reverse of negative racial stereotypes (he has three Ph.D's and speaks like Leslie Howard)
  • Tony, and many other of the racist characters are portrayed as being perfectly nice, except for their racism (as if being racist was a minor issue that could be corrected by exposure to an extremely unique person of color)
  • Dr. Stanley's arrest in the bathhouse is not a successful teachable moment about LGBTQ intolerance, the scene serves to make Dr. Stanley more submissive and firmly in need of a white savior
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken is the least likely food to be eaten by men dressed in business suits in a moving car
  • Pizza is one of the least likely foods to be eaten by a person laying in bed (Tony) before going to sleep

I have a theory that the KFC product plug was for audiences outside of the US, particularly China (KFC's most important market)

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep, that's how much of the film I saw before walking out of the theater.

19 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

Then you absolutely don't want to see the 1974 musical version, "Mame" with Lucille Ball.  Leonard Maltin rates it as a Bomb.  More like an Atom Bomb.

I wouldn't say that.  An atom bomb has POWER!

Lucy's MAME just fizzles.  ;) 

I also don't care much for TOP GUN.  But seems a lot of people did.

Same with Redford's THE GREAT GATSBY.

And I agree with the person up there who said they thought E.T. was cute.  The little b u g g e r was kinda cute, but definitely NOT as cute as  DEE WALLACE in that leopard skin Halloween costume!  ;) 

And although he seems to be the best at doing multiple roles in movies since Peter Sellers, I thought one viewing of EDDIE MURPHY'S  THE NUTTY PROFESSOR to be multiple overkill.  

OK, I'll bite..   My favorite Hanks movies are ....the oft berated GUMP,  but also  PRIVATE RYAN,  CASTAWAY,  PERDITION,  and his directing/writing job on THAT THING YOU DO.  But this doesn't mean I don't like many of his others.  ;) 

THE PAPER CHASE is one that had a huge following that I couldn't stand.

Same with MYSTIC PIZZA.  

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

I made myself watch the film "A Clockwork Orange" because I read the book for my classic literature book club.  This film is disturbing - especially for me the sexual violence.  I found it a little difficult to sleep after seeing it.  The book is far more violent and graphic.  However, to be repulsed and disturbed by the torture and violence was the point the author (and director Stanley Kubrick) was trying to make.  Kubrick blocked release of the film in Britain fearing it was encouraging acts of violence.  A really controversial film.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, SweetSue said:

Anything, besides White Christmas since that's a "classic", that Danny Kaye has been in irritates me to no end. I don't want to use the word hate because that doesn't seem nice in my context, but I've grown to have a strong loathing towards the man. Granted, I've only sat through like 3 or 4 of his films, but that was enough for me to never want to sit through one again.🤷‍♀️

I have to agree with you about White Christmas!  I think if this movie wasn't about Christmas it would have been forgotten.  I don't understand the humor of Danny Kaye.  That said, as a kid I did enjoy him playing Hans Christian Anderson.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Toto said:

I have to agree with you about White Christmas!  I think if this movie wasn't about Christmas it would have been forgotten.  I don't understand the humor of Danny Kaye.  That said, as a kid I did enjoy him playing Hans Christian Anderson.

Even with it being about Christmas doesn't help it in my case.  I've always been a Danny Kaye fan, even to this day.  But that being said, his being in that movie was a disappointment for me.   I never let a Christmas go by without avoiding it.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Other than THE REVENANT any movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. Particularly, TITANIC. 

Rather than movies I can't stand maybe I should post this in the actors I can't stand thread. 

The Sound of Music

Mary Poppins

Love Story

Cleopatra (1963)

The Jazz Singer (any version)

I agree with the negative regard for Auntie Mame, as well.

I wouldn't say I hate them, but I was never crazy about Some Like It Hot or The Apartment. Same with It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I was also never a fan of the Three Stooges, and their ubiquity on TV has made me loathe them even more. 

On a more recent note, all of the Transformers movies are garbage. Armageddon was abysmal. And while I'm a fan of many of Clint Eastwood's films, some of the better-regarded I don't care for, like Mystic River (to me it was like a grade-C episode of Law & Order), SullyThe Mule. or Cry Macho, the latter of which I thought was a career low point.

• Like 2