Find results in...

Popular movies that you hate

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Sound of Music

Mary Poppins

Love Story

Cleopatra (1963)

The Jazz Singer (any version)

I agree with the negative regard for Auntie Mame, as well.

I wouldn't say I hate them, but I was never crazy about Some Like It Hot or The Apartment. Same with It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I was also never a fan of the Three Stooges, and their ubiquity on TV has made me loathe them even more. 

On a more recent note, all of the Transformers movies are garbage. Armageddon was abysmal. And while I'm a fan of many of Clint Eastwood's films, some of the better-regarded I don't care for, like Mystic River (to me it was like a grade-C episode of Law & Order), SullyThe Mule. or Cry Macho, the latter of which I thought was a career low point.

I agree with everything and kudos for :    'I  was also never a fan of the Three Stooges, and their ubiquity on TV has made me loathe them even more. '

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, nakano said:

I agree with everything and kudos for :    'I  was also never a fan of the Three Stooges, and their ubiquity on TV has made me loathe them even more. '

I remember those days, too, in the late 70's, when you just didn't admit you watched the Stooges on TV, and since they mostly showed the cheap dopey Shemp shorts or the public domains (which were mostly Shemps anyway), nobody wanted to.

The Curly Shuffle changed all that in the mid 80's, and just in time for home video.  B)

I have to agree with you about White Christmas!  I think if this movie wasn't about Christmas it would have been forgotten.  I don't understand the humor of Danny Kaye.  That said, as a kid I did enjoy him playing Hans Christian Anderson.

Anyone who immediately identifies Danny Kaye with HCA has clearly never seen "The Court Jester".  Please remedy immediately.

My hatred of White Christmas just goes beyond wanting to strangle people who have never heard of Holiday Inn in their lives, and just watched this one instead because it was in color and had the song in the title...It goes to a frustration with the waning late-50's days of the Decline of the Musical, when 40's nightclubs and big Broadway shows had to be replaced by television (it's a big TV show in this one), and old-school musicals bravely trying to laugh off the rise of Beatnik culture (although Funny Face was okay, and Danny is funny as a Beatnik "choreographer")

And, of course, the neurotic 50's fondness for GI comedy, by men in their 30's who just couldn't take ten years of domestic life back in suburbia after WWII, and wished they could go back to Korea and have a reunion with all the boys...It's the stuff that made "It's Always Fair Weather" so uncomfortably disturbing, and here, we're supposed to think it's a good thing that they're all singing buddy songs with their old sarge.   🙄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I largely avoid this problem by not watching movies that have plots I have little interest in.

TGSOE. A circus flick, not interested. I saw a bit of Auntie Mame once. Somewhat humorous,

but not watching the whole thing. TCM seems to run a lot of 1930s movies in the afternoon

about wealthy Americans traveling to Europe meeting a maid who was once the Queen of England

or meeting a Duke who used to run a all nite diner in Cleveland. No thanks.

18 hours ago, Swithin said:

I'm surprised at all the negativity about two Roz Russell movies that I love: Auntie Mame and Gypsy.

I'm with you on this Swithin. I love Auntie Mame.

I love White Christmas, Danny Kaye ? The Court Jester is hilarious, one of the funniest films ever, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Hans Christian Anderson, all great films. I'm glad I get enjoyment out of these.

• Like 3

I can't think of any old classics that I can't stand or are especially overrated, but I could give you actors & actresses who I'm not fond of. Of a later generation of films, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's always heralded as brilliant. WHAT?! They went over-the-top stupid a few times, like the back alley fight scene, for instance. I saw the story and thought it had a chance to be a classic in much better hands. It could, and should, have been done playing the absurdity of the actual events straight, more like a Curb You Enthusiasm way. I'm a great fan of stupid humor, when it's done intelligently, but when you take it well past the humor, sometimes almost explaining your own jokes, or appealing to the unthinking, lowest common denominator, you lose me. I've waited forever to vent about this movie. lol. Thanks for listening.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Anyone who immediately identifies Danny Kaye with HCA has clearly never seen "The Court Jester".  Please remedy immediately.

My hatred of White Christmas just goes beyond wanting to strangle people who have never heard of Holiday Inn in their lives, and just watched this one instead because it was in color and had the song in the title...It goes to a frustration with the waning late-50's days of the Decline of the Musical, when 40's nightclubs and big Broadway shows had to be replaced by television (it's a big TV show in this one), and old-school musicals bravely trying to laugh off the rise of Beatnik culture (although Funny Face was okay, and Danny is funny as a Beatnik "choreographer")

And, of course, the neurotic 50's fondness for GI comedy, by men in their 30's who just couldn't take ten years of domestic life back in suburbia after WWII, and wished they could go back to Korea and have a reunion with all the boys...It's the stuff that made "It's Always Fair Weather" so uncomfortably disturbing, and here, we're supposed to think it's a good thing that they're all singing buddy songs with their old sarge.   🙄 

As I mentioned above I love The Court Jester, it's hilarious and a favorite. The pellet  with the poison in the vessel with the pestle has to be one of the funniest routines on film. So many other great moments in this one.

Believe me, I probably saw Holiday Inn before I watched White Christmas and I love them both,. Holiday Inn is great. It is possible to love both films. I have a special fondness for Sisters, the Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen routine since my sister and I when we were little girls  would get up and do that song together during the movie. Vera-Ellen and her Mandy dance and the song, is great. It's just an uplifting sweet film. 

• Thanks 1

hate's a strong word, but I'm pretty baffled by the popularity of the following:

moulin rouge (2001)

the music man (1962)

the rocky horror picture show (1975)

THX-1138 (1971)

gunga din (1939)

the right stuff (1983)

my own private idaho (1991)

• Like 1
On 9/22/2021 at 1:12 AM, Dargo said:

I've never been able to get past the first 20 minutes or so of A Clockwork Orange.

It's brutal. I knew the only way I could get through this movie (after reading about it for years) was to see it in a theater. I absolutely hated the first part -you're supposed to- it's all just a grand set up for the rest of the story. Totally worth watching, at least I thought.

Yes, this thread has been made before...I notice several "common" threads started every few years. My answers have already been stated by others: I absolutely hated Dr Zhivago,  a long drawn out story of adultery.

I can barely stomach Tom Hanks but since everyone loved Gump, forced myself to watch it. Once. What a horrible horrible movie. Talk about cliché...sounds like The Green Book is another stereotype cliché, too bad.

And yes, 2001 A Space Odyssey IS a great movie and I CAN completely back that up. Just look for an old thread about it, haha. There have been several threads, most likely in YOUR FAVORITES discussing  2001.  It's unusual that much is told visually and the viewer has to actually participate to understand it. Kubrick shows you instead of tells you, the complete opposite of Stephen Spielberg who spoon feeds a story like the viewer is a baby.

Gypsy, Seven Brides, The Music Man.....they are all similar: Technicolor stagey musicals. Mr Tiki loathes them, I love them. Next time Seven Brides comes to a theater, MarkP2/me/MrTiki are all going. While he thinks lumberjacks singing & dancing is weird, he's going to enjoy the actual story line, which of course, I can't spoil for him.

• Like 2

2001 A Space Odyssey was all downhill for me after the apes left the film. I originally saw it at the show with  friend who called it his favourite film of all time. By the time I got to the end with Keir Dullea aging and grey haired I was completely baffled - and bored. A slow, cold film lacking any sense of human warmth. Closest thing to it is a computer.

Someone said you have to read the book by Arthur C. Clarke to understand the ending. Well, if that it the case, what does that saying about Kubrick's deficiencies  as a filmmaker? Okay, I liked Also sprach Zarathustra playing on the soundtrack, as well. That and the apes. That's all, folks!

• Like 1

I can think of a western, a much beloved western many on here consider an all time classic, but which I loathe with a passion, and consider it a cure for insomnia.....wait for it.....

1953's SHANE. 

Sorry, but it just didn't appeal to me, and it still doesn't. 

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

2001 A Space Odyssey was all downhill for me after the apes left the film. I originally saw it at the show with  friend who called it his favourite film of all time. By the time I got to the end with Keir Dullea aging and grey haired I was completely baffled - and bored. A slow, cold film lacking any sense of human warmth. Closest thing to it is a computer.

Someone said you have to read the book by Arthur C. Clarke to understand the ending. Well, if that it the case, what does that saying about Kubrick's deficiencies  as a filmmaker? Okay, I liked Also sprach Zarathustra playing on the soundtrack, as well. That and the apes. That's all, folks!

Yeah well, I read the book and STILL don't get the ending.  But I do like the rest of it.  Not LOVE it, but I don't mind looking in on it every so often.

But I thought of another that many people are just "ga-ga" over(in here too) that really bores me to the bottom of my bowels....

BLADE RUNNER

An excellent  movie mystery in that it's a mystery to me why this swill is so popular.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, hutz said:

hate's a strong word, but I'm pretty baffled by the popularity of the following:

moulin rouge (2001)

the rocky horror picture show (1975)

Back in 1975, there were "no such things" as gay people, and we actually talked about audiences flocking to dress up, gad about onstage, and cruelly heckle Rocky Horror as if it was because "They love bad movies!"  Even a generation of straight teens believed that too, until they sat down and watched the movie on video without an audience.  Desperate movie producers used to sell their own low-budget goofy-bad movies as "If you loved Rocky Horror...!"   (Even in the iconic scene from 1980's "Fame", which is supposed to be crucial character-development, we thought "Oh, quit picking on him, he just wants to see the midnight movie!")

But that was before Grease tried to do a 20th-anniversary audience-participation "Sing-Along" re-release in '98, to cash in on the Star Wars 20th-anniversary nostalgia, and discovered what kinds of audiences audience-participatory "Sing-Along" screenings of Grease and Sound of Music tend to attract.   And why, if you see one today, it's more likely to be Rent, Mamma Mia, Frozen, or...Moulin Rouge.  🙄

I know that the movies I am going to list are possibly favorites of others here and may run contrary to popular opinion, but I really do not like any of the following films...

The Godfather

The Godfather, Part II

Any of the Lord of the Rings movies

Any of the Matrix movies

Taxi Driver

Apocalypse Now

A Clockwork Orange

The Exorcist

Titanic  (1997)

A Streetcar Named Desire

High Noon

Some Like it Hot

The Misfits

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Saturday Night Fever

Do the Right Thing

Midnight Cowboy

Barry Lyndon

The Fly (1986)

Any of the Halloween movies

• Like 1

Giant (1956)

giant-1956-007-james-dean-horse-car-hous

I really want to spend two hours of my life staring at a dead grass landscape. And that's when its not just dirt and oil pumps 🥳

It seems all the actually interesting parts could have been truncated into about 15 minutes of dialogue. Works great as a travelogue, I guess. But, not for me as a movie.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Giant (1956)

giant-1956-007-james-dean-horse-car-hous

I really want to spend two hours of my life staring at a dead grass landscape. And that's when its not just dirt and oil pumps 🥳

It seems all the actually interesting parts could have been truncated into about 15 minutes of dialogue. Works great as a travelogue, I guess. But, not for me as a movie.

GIANT isn't one of my favorites either, still it's not one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Wasn't this James Dean's last film? 

On 9/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm with you King and Dargo on this. I walked out of the theater too. A Clockwork Orange,  I shudder thinking about that one.

only Stanley Kubrick would think audiences would like a middle aged british prison guard looking up McDowell's **** with a pen flashlight.

:o

I absolutely cringe when A Face In The Crowd comes on. I utterly detest Andy Griffith and especially how he plays that role in that film. I have been told hating Griffith is on par with hating apple pie, parades and everything else proudly American, I don’t really care.  And don’t get me started on his overrated folksy (sappy) t.v. show.

28 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Not a fan of Andy G. either.

A Clockwork Orange is very disturbing and 2001 is also very disturbing.

I love it when people say crap like that.  I never understand though, how people can make claims like that which admit they just don't GET it.  Like...

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE was SUPPOSED to be disturbing.  That was the POINT!   And the only disturbing thing I can find about 2001 is it's way too ambiguous ending.  But seeing it in a cinerama theater on a hit of mescaline makes it more enjoyable.  ;) 

And what's with the hate for Andy Griffith?  After growing up seeing him in his landmark TV show, his "Face In The Crowd" performance was astounding!   And again, the "folksy sappyiness" of his tv show was the INTENT.  :rolleyes:

What kind of rock covered candyland do some of y'all come from anyway?

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 9/21/2021 at 6:42 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Doctor  Friggin'  Zhivago .  Which TCM loves to show, it seems every other week.   I cannot understand why this looong  over-wrought film is so popular with so many.   It's too long,  I get sick of all the snow,  and I get sick of Lara's long-suffering smile.   Oh,  the poor dears,  having an affair in the middle of a revolution,  it's so hard to meet.  Every time I hear that "Somewhere My Love" theme,  I want to whack a samovar over the besotted couple's heads.

Oh God, thank you! I thought it was just me. 

I should love this movie because it checks off just about everything on my favorite stuff list.  I'm a huge history buff, it's got that. I love romance, it's there.  I like big sweeping epics and David Lean is the master of that.

But holy cow! It's so boring! I truly wished Stalin would have taken over early so Doc could've been caught up in his purge and this thing could have ended quicker.

It's a little ironic that an hour into this "classic" movie with it's atheist communist subplot had me saying, "Jesus Christ! Is it ever going to pick up?"

• Haha 2
On 9/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, Toto said:

I have to agree with you about White Christmas!  I think if this movie wasn't about Christmas it would have been forgotten.  I don't understand the humor of Danny Kaye.  

On 9/22/2021 at 12:05 PM, Sepiatone said:

Even with it being about Christmas doesn't help it in my case.  I've always been a Danny Kaye fan, even to this day.  But that being said, his being in that movie was a disappointment for me.   I never let a Christmas go by without avoiding it.

Sepiatone

??   don't like "White Christmas"  ?  What's with you guys?  It's an utterly charming, entertaining,  enjoyable movie.  And you don't even have to be someone who  celebrates  Christmas to like it.

Let me count the ways it's good: 

It's fun and good-natured. It doesn't ask you to take it seriously,  it's shamelessly unrealistic and silly,  like most movie musical plots are.  I don't ask for or even necessarily want seriousness in a musical .  ( ok, lots of exceptions to that...West Side Story,  Cabaret,  even Oklahoma has its dark moments.....but most musicals are fluffy and fun,  and there's nothing wrong with that.)

The 4 leads are likable and talented. Bing and Rosemary are fantastic singers,  Danny can sing and dance and make us laugh,  and Vera-Ellen dances the pants off everyone .   That number near the beginning,   "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing",  is so delightful to watch, truly good dancing,  great, fun choreography,  and such a catchy, sweet tune.

Which brings me to the main reason "White Christmas" is a wonderful movie:  The music.  all the songs are by the great Irving Berlin,  one of the best songwriters of the 20th century.  And the dances they devise to go with this great music are a perfect match.  Musicals are all about the quality of the music, which in the case of "White Christmas" is first -rate,    followed closely by the cleverness and skill involved in the dance numbers,  ditto for "White Christmas".   Plus, as I said,  it's fun and unabashedly light and frothy.   Truly a "feel good" movie,  I think anyone who doesn't like it probably doesn't like musicals,  period.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1