Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Popular movies that you hate

1 hour ago, LoyFan said:

I hate West Side Story with the heat of a thousand suns. The songs, the Romeo & Juliet ripoff, the bratty teenagers...ugh.

It's not a "rip-off",   it's an overt "updating" of the Shakespeare play.  "Rip-off" suggests stealing a story and hoping people won't notice;  West Side Story is a completely open, honest, retelling of Romeo and Juliet, there's no attempt to pretend it's an original story, therefore it's not a rip-off.

As for the songs,  they're fantastic.  If you don't like them,  you clearly don't appreciate good song-writing.  I know this sounds personal and insulting, that's not my intention.  But the songs in West Side Story are just fantastic,  it's ridiculous to say the songs are one of the things about the film you don't like.

On the positive side,  I love your description of hating something "with the heat of a thousand suns".  Just save it for something that deserves such an effective expression.

• Like 2
On 9/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, fxreyman said:

I know that the movies I am going to list are possibly favorites of others here and may run contrary to popular opinion, but I really do not like any of the following films...

The Godfather

The Godfather, Part II

Any of the Lord of the Rings movies

Any of the Matrix movies

Taxi Driver

Apocalypse Now

A Clockwork Orange

The Exorcist

Titanic  (1997)

A Streetcar Named Desire

High Noon

Some Like it Hot

The Misfits

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Saturday Night Fever

Do the Right Thing

Midnight Cowboy

Barry Lyndon

The Fly (1986)

Any of the Halloween movies

Lists are boring, if they're nothing more than just a list of something you like or don't like or whatever.  As I've said before on this thread,  anyone can say they hate a certain film, or even make a list of   -- oh,  what is it,  at least 20 films ? --  without bothering to state WHY they hate them.

I don't care if someone hates a movie I like,  "everyone has a right to express their opinion, blah blah",  but I've always thought of these forums as a discussion site,  and as such,  it behooves us   ( I just like an excuse to use a word like "behooves"  now and then ) to 'splain  the reasons behind why we like or don't like something.   It's easy to spin off a big list of famous movies that you don't like. Fine,  you don't like any of those films.  But maybe instead of taking the time to list 20 movies that you hate,  why not save some of that time to actually talk about  just a few of them,  and to say WHY you hate them  ?  Try articulating what's in your mind about some of them,  that would be a lot more interesting than just knocking off a big list of movies like  that.

Your post doesn't tell me anything at all about those films and why you feel the way you do about them.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2021 at 7:14 AM, nakano said:

Star Wars :i I have seen- the first 3 on their first run,even the first a second time well it was in Hollywood...but no interest about anything regarding the whole thing,the toys,the conventions the other films etc same thing with StarTrek .Went to see the first film when it was released a real bore if i remember well.No interest in the tv series at all,.l hear a lot of 'Trekkies knows all the dialogue  by heart well to each his own .

My my....  well,  most of the Star Trek movies are strictly for fans of the show, perhaps not that great in their own right.

I'm not a huge fan of the original series   ( apologies to the millions who are)  but I love "Star Trek: the Next Generation",  it's a great sci-fi television series,  very smart, well-produced,   and thought-provoking.

30 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

It's not a "rip-off",   it's an overt "updating" of the Shakespeare play.  "Rip-off" suggests stealing a story and hoping people won't notice;  West Side Story is a comopletely open, honest, retelling of Romeo and Juliet, there's no attempt to pretend it's an original story, therefore it's not a rip-off.

As for the songs,  they're fantastic.  If you don't like them,  you clearly don't appreciate good song-writing.  I know this sounds personal and insulting, that's not my intention.  But the songs in West Side Story are just fantastic,  it's ridiculous to say the songs are one of the things about the film you don't like.

On the positive side,  I love your description of hating something "with the heat of a thousand suns".  Just save it for something that deserves such an effective expression.

The thread is about popular movies we can't stand.  West Side Story is a popular movie I can't stand.  If I'm the only one in the world who hates it, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion.  I'm entitled to mine.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

It's not a "rip-off",   it's an overt "updating" of the Shakespeare play.  "Rip-off" suggests stealing a story and hoping people won't notice;  West Side Story is a comopletely open, honest, retelling of Romeo and Juliet, there's no attempt to pretend it's an original story, therefore it's not a rip-off.

Besides that, Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet is not original to him - it's just the best-known version of that story.   He got it from an English poem The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Juliet, which in turn was based on a French translation of an Italian book, Novelle.

Shakespeare also borrowed other stories from Novelle's author, Matteo Bandello, in particular, Much Ado about Nothing and Twelfth Night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, LoyFan said:

The thread is about popular movies we can't stand.  West Side Story is a popular movie I can't stand.  If I'm the only one in the world who hates it, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion.  I'm entitled to mine.

Of course you are.  Sometimes we just plain don't like something, and that's that.  Ok,  I'll back off on the point about the songs  ( but you must have ears made of cement to not like the songs,  -- ok,  ok.....)

But this is not opinion it's fact,   that something that is a deliberate retelling of a story is NOT a "rip-off".   West Side Story can't be a rip-off of Romeo and Juliet because it is an intentional allusion to the Shakespeare play, no sneakiness or plagiarism involved.

13 minutes ago, LoyFan said:

I had a similar experience in a thread like this many years ago. I said I didn't like Casablanca. Somebody told me I must be too stupid to understand subtleties or I suck at life or whatever. 

Oh. And I agree West Side Story blows. From the first cigarette to the last dying frame.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Besides that, Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet is not original to him - it's just the best-known version of that story.   He got it from an English poem The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Juliet, which in turn was based on a French translation of an Italian book, Novelle.

Shakespeare also borrowed other stories from Novelle's author, Matteo Bandello, in particular, Much Ado about Nothing and Twelfth Night.

Right,  in fact, actually,  almost all of Shakespeare's plays are retellings of earlier stories.  I suppose you can't count the history plays since they're based on,  uh,  history--sort of.   But yes,  pretty much all his comedies, tragedies,  and romances   ( as in fantasies,  like The Winter's Tale,  I don't mean "romances" as in love stories )   are stories that Shakespeare got from earlier sources.

But this hardly means Shakespeare "ripped off" other people's stories-  or, if he did,  good for him.  

5 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I had a similar experience in a thread like this many years ago. I said I didn't like Casablanca. Somebody told me I must be too stupid to understand subtleties or I suck at life or whatever. 

Well, that certainly wasn't me,  and I have never told anyone here that they're stupid or that they suck at life,  those comments would be just as lazy and pointless ( not to mention mean)  as just citing a movie one doesn't like and not saying why.    ( which isn't mean, just lazy.  Which the poster who said they didn't like WSS was not,  because they did say why they didn't like it.  Oh, never mind....)

43 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Oh--I always had the impression Shakespeare was, like West Side Story, trying to do a "modern" Italian-Renaissance resetting of Pyramus & Thisbe, with Italian power-families standing in for warring kings, poison standing in for the lion, and a balcony standing in for the wall.

(And no, the parody in Midsummer Night's Dream was not connected to that.)

30 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Of course you are.  Sometimes we just plain don't like something, and that's that.  Ok,  I'll back off on the point about the songs  ( but you must have ears made of cement to not like the songs,  -- ok,  ok.....)

But this is not opinion it's fact,   that something that is a deliberate retelling of a story is NOT a "rip-off".   West Side Story can't be a rip-off of Romeo and Juliet because it is an intentional allusion to the Shakespeare play, no sneakiness or plagiarism involved.

Rip off was a turn of phrase I tossed off not thinking such umbrage would be taken by its use.  I can't say I'm much of a Shakespeare  fan, either. Perhaps, if the creator of WSS had chosen to update some other famous play, I would have liked it better.

One needs ears of cement to get through "I Feel Pretty".

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Oh. And I agree West Side Story blows. From the first cigarette to the last dying frame.

You made me smile. Thanks!

1 hour ago, LoyFan said:

You made me smile. Thanks!

It's just a gift that I have. Can't really take credit for it. 

Incidentally I read the wiki page on West Side Story to see how well it went over new. (They loved it, of course.) Tonight, 9/26/21, is the 64th anniversary of the Broadway opening.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:28 PM, unwatchable said:

Yeah, I love White Christmas.  I'm certain the title alone is enough to give the PC crowd fits, and I consider that a bonus. 😬

I suspect there are no shortage of "PC" critics who love classic movies, have no trouble with snow at Christmas, especially since they live in New  York, and whose main problem with
White Christmas is that Danny Kaye isn't as good a dancer as Fred Astaire.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, Sepiatone said:

I love it when people say crap like that.  I never understand though, how people can make claims like that which admit they just don't GET it.  Like...

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE was SUPPOSED to be disturbing.  That was the POINT!   And the only disturbing thing I can find about 2001 is it's way too ambiguous ending.  But seeing it in a cinerama theater on a hit of mescaline makes it more enjoyable.  ;) 

And what's with the hate for Andy Griffith?  After growing up seeing him in his landmark TV show, his "Face In The Crowd" performance was astounding!   And again, the "folksy sappyiness" of his tv show was the INTENT.  :rolleyes:

What kind of rock covered candyland do some of y'all come from anyway?

Sepiatone

Excellent Points!  

I have seen A Clockwork Orange only a few times since it was released.

It is THAT disturbing to me.  However, it is a good piece of cinema. It takes 'Energy' to view it.

For example the film Reservoir Dogs is a 'Good Film' (Not a great film...just a good one) but that one is so disturbing I just do not have the 'Energy' to watch it again.

As 'For a Face in a Crowd' that too is a well made film.  I actually never heard of it until a few years ago.  So of course I was taken a little back to see Andy Griffith in such a role.

Far from his TV Show persona.   As for 'The Andy Griffith Show' for me it is the first 5 years that are priceless.  (B&W episodes with Don Knotts)  Andy was the 'straight man' to Don Knotts (and others of course). 

My wife and I believe that Ron Howard was one of THEE best child actors of all time as Opie.  

Now after the 5th season of The Andy Griffith Show it went to color and Don Knotts did not renew his contract.

Those two things in my opinion killed off  the charm of the show.  It should of NEVER went to color.  Don Knotts wanted to get a film career going...

• Like 2
13 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Lists are boring, if they're nothing more than just a list of something you like or don't like or whatever.  As I've said before on this thread,  anyone can say they hate a certain film, or even make a list of   -- oh,  what is it,  at least 20 films ? --  without bothering to state WHY they hate them.

I don't care if someone hates a movie I like,  "everyone has a right to express their opinion, blah blah",  but I've always thought of these forums as a discussion site,  and as such,  it behooves us   ( I just like an excuse to use a word like "behooves"  now and then ) to 'splain  the reasons behind why we like or don't like something.   It's easy to spin off a big list of famous movies that you don't like. Fine,  you don't like any of those films.  But maybe instead of taking the time to list 20 movies that you hate,  why not save some of that time to actually talk about  just a few of them,  and to say WHY you hate them  ?  Try articulating what's in your mind about some of them,  that would be a lot more interesting than just knocking off a big list of movies like  that.

Your post doesn't tell me anything at all about those films and why you feel the way you do about them.

So I guess you don't appreciate any of my other lists threads either, correct?

Maybe that is why you never comment on any of those threads???

Oh, well, can not fault thinking like that. Although I had thought that this thread was just a thread that could show which films people did not like. Apparently I have to do a better job at not only listing the film but also give reasons why I don't like them.

I am not sure I can do that. There are many reasons why films appear on MY lists. If I were to list all of the positives and or negatives about why I selected a certain film, that is all I would be doing with my online time. I don't just come online everyday and stay at TCM City. I like many other websites as well.

Suffice it to say, I just do not have the time to sit here and explain to people why I like or dislike a film. But maybe I could give a brief explanation in the future......  NOT.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

So I guess you don't appreciate any of my other lists threads either, correct?

Maybe that is why you never comment on any of those threads???

That's right,  fx.   Just a list of something, with no actual comments about whatever's on the list,  isn't very interesting to me .  

1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

Oh, well, can not fault thinking like that. Although I had thought that this thread was just a thread that could show which films people did not like. Apparently I have to do a better job at not only listing the film but also give reasons why I don't like them.

I am not sure I can do that. There are many reasons why films appear on MY lists. If I were to list all of the positives and or negatives about why I selected a certain film, that is all I would be doing with my online time. I don't just come online everyday and stay at TCM City. I like many other websites as well.

Suffice it to say, I just do not have the time to sit here and explain to people why I like or dislike a film. But maybe I could give a brief explanation in the future......  NOT.

Ah well,   just as you don't have time to elaborate on your list choices,  I don't have time to just read a list that tells me nothing about the list-maker's thinking.   Chaque on  a son gout.

• Like 1

I FEEL PRETTY . . . OH, SO PRETTY . . . 😍

Ok, I don't actually feel pretty.  Or witty.  Instead, I feel snarly and gnarly.  😈

There are a fair number of 'Popular Movies' I simply have not seen for one reason:  They're so long.  Never seen James Cameron's TITANIC; I *have* seen the 1958 movie A NIGHT TO REMEMBER.  That was quite good, I thought.  Ergo, no need for me to watch the '97 movie.  

Never seen THE GODFATHER, THE GODFATHER 2, SCHINDLER'S LIST, SHAVING RYAN'S PRIVATES,  oops, I mean SAVING PRIVATE RYAN [I'd have let him get blown away, but I guess that would've negated the plot of the movie], et cetera.  

• Like 1

@FXREYMAN:  Greetings.  → Why not offer up a few nuggets of why some of the movies on your list are not enjoyable viewing?  Doesn't have to be an expansive list of complaints; could be something as simple as "This movie runs so long I lose interest and get bored" or "the subject matter doesn't interest me in the least". 

That's why I don't fancy LAWRENCE OF ARABIA:  It's so long + the desert doesn't interest me enough to watch a 3½-hour movie.  If it were 100 minutes I'd give it a go.  Like the 1965 movie SANDS OF THE KALAHARI seems interesting enough, but it doesn't run 215 minutes either so I'd be willing to watch that should it pop up on TCM (or maybe it already has and I've just missed it). 

• Like 2

Do we have to have a reason to dislike a film ? I'am not into musicals at all but i have seen many because I complete certain actors. Do I have to explain why I dislike them? Why boring other pollsters about an essaie on film,to each is own,if somebody like to explain details fine for them,,I do not read reviews  anywhere anyway'for fear of spoilers, When I Review a film here on the board   it is 2 lines I have no interest  to be a columnist on film.And I do not like highcaps.I do not like coconut the fruit (not the film titled coconuts) since childhood ,it is very popular but I cannot explain why I do not like it,sorry.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Never seen James Cameron's TITANIC

You've missed nothing, believe me.  With a smaller budget, it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see as an HBO original. James Cameron actually said that the only reason he made this film was as an excuse to dive on the wreck of the Titanic. The balls on this guy! And his film wins best picture, over the likes of L.A. Confidential. This tells me everything I need to know about "The Academy" 👎

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I FEEL PRETTY . . . OH, SO PRETTY . . . 😍

Ok, I don't actually feel pretty.  Or witty.  Instead, I feel snarly and gnarly.  😈

There are a fair number of 'Popular Movies' I simply have not seen for one reason:  They're so long.  Never seen James Cameron's TITANIC; I *have* seen the 1958 movie A NIGHT TO REMEMBER.  That was quite good, I thought.  Ergo, no need for me to watch the '97 movie.  

Never seen THE GODFATHER, THE GODFATHER 2, SCHINDLER'S LIST, SHAVING RYAN'S PRIVATES,  oops, I mean SAVING PRIVATE RYAN [I'd have let him get blown away, but I guess that would've negated the plot of the movie], et cetera.  

With such a short attention span you might try to stick to Laurel and Hardy or Buster Keaton shorts.  None of them would be too long for you to keep up with.  ;) 

14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

It's not a "rip-off",   it's an overt "updating" of the Shakespeare play.  "Rip-off" suggests stealing a story and hoping people won't notice;  West Side Story is a completely open, honest, retelling of Romeo and Juliet, there's no attempt to pretend it's an original story, therefore it's not a rip-off.

My only issue here is with the perpetuation of the misuse of the term "rip-off".  Originanlly coined in the late '60's drug culture as a reference to the perpetration of a fraud(ie;  selling vitamin C tabs as some recreational hallucinogen  or such)  it has been corrupted over time to refer to ANY basic theft. 

But, to keep on track...  I like West Side Story, despite my not basically liking musicals in general.  Of course though, it's not a case of watching it at every opportunity.  Only when the mood, on not frequent occasions,  strikes me.   But I can see how someone else might not like it much.  Or at all.

Sepiatone

I think it's the 21 years of brain damage that has made my attention span shorter than it used to be.  🤪 → Plus, one's brain ages anyway without the 'benefit' of hitting one's head good and hard on plastic sun visors and windshields.  But, hey, I can still think some of time!  🧠

But long movies are a real chore for me to stay •focused• on unless the subject matter really interests me.  A PASSAGE TO INDIA (1984) *is* one such long movie that interests me so I can watch that one. 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:35 PM, LuckyDan said:

That's what the internet does to people-uncalled for aggression because they are anonymous. They'd never say it to your face.

I too am underwhelmed by CASABLANCA. I've seen it a few times and simply don't care for it. I dislike Ingrid Bergman's charactor especially.

I'm also not a fan of of Myrna Loy as Nora Charles. She strikes me as smug & pompous. Unpopular sentiments.

As for West Side Story '61, I only saw it once on TCM and didn't care for it.  A few years later my Movie Buddy called to ask if I wanted to go see it at the theater. Hrumph. I gave it a chance and it was WHOLLY ENJOYABLE on the big screen. Why? I don't know, but I've found that to be true with other movies I didn't care for. Seeing THE BIRDS on the big screen with an audience was far better than watching it at home alone on TV. He talked me into seeing The Giant Claw at the theater & that was especially better seen with others!

Do I have to close post with this is just "my view" or "my opinion" or is that clearly obvious?

• Like 1