Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Willie Garson (1964-2021)

Actor Willie Garson, who was a regular in HBO's "Sex and the City" comedy series and co-star of the two feature films based on the show, died Tuesday at the age of 57. The cause was pancreatic cancer.

1567590368_Willie-Garson-Wife-Son-Friends-Height-Net-Worth-Age.jpg

Garson  reprised the role of Stanford Blatch, the gay talent agent and friend of Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker, pictured below with the actor), in the upcoming SATC reboot for HBO Max, "And Just Like That..."

“The Sex and the City family has lost one of its own. Our amazing Willie Garson,” series creator and executive producer Michael Patrick King said in a statement. “His spirit and his dedication to his craft was present every day filming 'And Just Like That...' He was there – giving us his all – even while he was sick. His multitude of gifts as an actor and person will be missed by everyone. In this sad, dark moment we are comforted by our memory of his joy and light.”

The New Jersey-born actor, whose birth name was William Garson Paszamant, is survived by his adopted son Nathen.

Willie Garson: Sex and the City star dies aged 57 - BBC News

Garson portrayed the presumed presidential assassin Lee Harvey Oswald three times -- twice in 1992.

In a two-part episode of the NBC sci-fi/fantasy series "Quantum Leap," Garson's Oswald (pictured below with series co-star Dean Stockwell)  came close to killing someone other than President Kennedy on November 22, 1963.

Also that year, Garson appeared as Oswald in "Ruby," the feature film about Jack Ruby, the Dallas nightclub owner who shot and killed the murder suspect on November 24, 1963. Danny Aiello starred as the title character.

In 1995. Garson appeared as Oswald in a "MADtv" sketch on FOX.

See the source image

Garson played several different characters during the seven-year run of the ABC sitcom "Boy Meets World" (and he even directed an episode of the2015 spinoff, "Girl Meets World"). But he was a key presence at the wedding of series sweethearts Topanga Lawrence (Danielle Fishel) and Cory Matthews (Ben Savage). The Season 7 episode, titled "It's About Time," originally aired on Nov 5, 1999.

See the source image

From 2009 to 2014, Matt Bomer and Garson played friends who also were adept con men in the USA drama series "White Collar."

White Collar' Star Matt Bomer, Creator Jeff Eastin Remember Willie Garson:  “You Were the Best Of Us” – Deadline

In the 2010 feature film "Sex and the City 2," Carrie's best gay friend married Anthony Marentino (Mario Cantone, pictured below right) -- the best gay friend of Charlotte York Goldenblatt (Kristin Davis). Liza Minnelli officiated the wedding.

Which Sex and the City Bride Are You? - Over The Moon

I love you forever Willie Garson. Rest in peace my friend.

pY-eIQWA_bigger.jpg
Willie Garson's son posts tribute on IG: "I will always love you, but I think it’s time for you to go on an adventure of your own."

DFIkqFON_bigger.jpg

So deeply, deeply sad we have lost @WillieGarson. We all loved him and adored working with him. He was endlessly funny on-screen and and in real life. He was a source of light, friendship and show business lore. He was a consummate professional— always.

Thank you, Willie Garson, for this final tweet.

t3fEWjhL_normal.jpg

Willie Garson Flag of United States
@WillieGarson
· Sep 4
BE KIND TO EACH OTHER......ALWAYS. LOVE TO ALL. APPROACH KINDNESS.
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

He had a small role but a great scene when they were divvying up Jimmy Fallon's Red Sox season tickets in FEVER PITCH. I always watch that movie when it's on. I love the Red Sox. Also, Jimmy Fallon can't act....but Gerson could. RIP. Pancreatic cancer. Horrible disease. 

• Like 1

Executive producer Michael Patrick King:

"The Sex And The City family has lost one of its own, our amazing Willie Garson". "His spirit and his dedication to his craft was present every day filming And Just Like That... ." 

"He was there — giving us his all — even while he was sick". "His multitude of gifts as an actor and person will be missed by everyone. In this sad, dark moment we are comforted by our memory of his joy and light."

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

No.

Thanks for the honest answer. I didn't think he was a classic film actor.

We've reached a point where any Hollywood death merits a thread on a classic film message board???

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
Just now, unwatchable said:

I don't see the harm in it.   The death of Norm MacDonald was announced here, and this is where I learned of it.  I suppose that was wrong as well.

I think your putting the word 'harm' into the conversation is a bit strong.

This is a classic film board.

My guess is people do not watch TCM to see a Willie Garson movie. So giving him a thread like this seems a bit out of context to me. I did not say it was harmful. LOL

• Confused 1

I'm glad this thread was posted. Willie Garson was a terrific actor. He did not have to be an actor in the classic time frame to be honored by comments. He had enough credits and his work was well known and respected . Thanks for posting about his untimely and very sad passing. Shame on anyone having a problem with posters showing their respect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I hate to see so much hatred on the board.

I remember seeing  Willie Garson on Tiffany Amber Thiessen's cooking show.  She was Tim DeKay's wife on the show.  They talked about whether people eat Chinese food out of the carton (Like on Law & Order).  He talked about how his family owned an Italian restaurant (I think).

Please don't hate me or get angry, but while I find his passing very sad (and no cause was given nor does it need to be), but it isn't the same as losing someone you know or love (and you read about it in your local obit column in your newspaper).  I recently lost someone I loved very much.  I'm sure, especially with COVID/the pandemic, many of you have experienced the same thing.

I think it's a nice thing that a recognizable, if not very well known, character actor gets a thread of his own upon his death on the TCM message boards. Isn't it the least we can do? 

I, for one, thought it was a nice gesture to give Willie Gerson a bit of a shout out. 

• Like 2
On 9/22/2021 at 11:34 AM, unwatchable said:

I as well, Swithin. One redeeming characteristic I possess is that I don't seem to be able to stay mad at another person for very long, even after my own solemn proclamation to stay the course.  :)

^A DASHING, Jolly Goode Attribute if i may (billy-goat like), buttinsky in and add. That Many/All Could Benefit from.

*Including this weirdo.

"👋"

On 9/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, filmnoirguy said:

Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News had a very nice tribute to Willie Garson tonight.

jlk1k6MF_bigger.jpg

On 9/22/2021 at 10:21 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm glad this thread was posted. Willie Garson was a terrific actor. He did not have to be an actor in the classic time frame to be honored by comments. He had enough credits and his work was well known and respected . Thanks for posting about his untimely and very sad passing. Shame on anyone having a problem with posters showing their respect.

I wholeheartedly agree with this quote's sentiment. 

Threads are started all the time that actually belong in "Your Favorites" or other sub-forums. Threads are fleeting, just like this talented man's life. Who's it hurting?  

I had never heard of Willie Garson, nor seen any of his roles. I'm very glad someone posted this, giving me & others an opportunity of discovering him, sadly now that he's gone. Apparently he is not only beloved by the public but by his colleagues as well. RIP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I had never heard of Willie Garson, nor seen any of his roles. I'm very glad someone posted this, giving me & others an opportunity of discovering him, sadly now that he's gone. Apparently he is not only beloved by the public but by his colleagues as well. RIP

It wasn't the first time I saw him, but I never paid attention to him before watching White Collar (2009-2014) on USA. He was great, like the role was written for him.

You'd probably like the series if you gave it a try. It's available on Roku's free channel through your browser (https://therokuchannel.roku.com/details/0ad1597f1a5455d0b188f6820cbfe191/white-collar) and on IMDbTV (but I think you need to create an account). The series is bright and funny, and there's good fashion and architecture throughout. It's about crime, but the urbane kind which shuns guns and bloodshed.

• Thanks 1