• CASABLANCA (1942) with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman
  • CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) with Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan
  • THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (1944) with Zacharay Scott and Faye Emerson
  • BETWEEN TWO WORLDS (1944) with John Garfield and Paul Henreid
  • THE VELVET TOUCH (1948) with Rosalind Russell and Leo Genn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice!

Glad to see a character actor get a month-long tribute like this.

I figured they'd stick to his WB output, but in my opinion, his best role is in RUTHLESS, made at Eagle-Lion in 1948.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 5.02.12 PM.jpeg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Nice!

Glad to see a character actor get a month-long tribute like this.

I figured they'd stick to his WB output, but in my opinion, his best role is in RUTHLESS, made at Eagle-Lion in 1948.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 5.02.12 PM.jpeg

There's currently a gap in the schedule at 8:00PM eastern on November 10 (FLAMINGO ROAD starts at 10:00PM), so hopefully RUTHLESS will make it onto the schedule after all. I'm also surprised THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON isn't scheduled here. Greenstreet doesn't have a big role in that one, but TCM has programmed all of his  other films in the Warner library for this series.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

There's currently a gap in the schedule at 8:00PM eastern on November 10 (FLAMINGO ROAD starts at 10:00PM), so hopefully RUTHLESS will make it onto the schedule after all. I'm also surprised THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON isn't scheduled here. Greenstreet doesn't have a big role in that one, but TCM has programmed all of his  other films in the Warner library for this series.

Fingers crossed (and toes crossed too) that they air RUTHLESS.

I realized after my previous post that 95% of his filmography is Warner Brothers-related. THE VELVET TOUCH was done at RKO (also in the Turner Library). RUTHLESS was the only other loan out, but he gives a smashing performance in it as Zachary Scott's business rival...so I hope it does get broadcast and people can see it.

Great to see Sydney Greenstreet as SOTM.     Also happy to see TCM is showing  THAT WAY WITH WOMEN (1947) with Dane Clark and Martha Vickers.

This was a film Warners had Vickers star in after her splash as Carmen in The Big Sleep.    Silly film but fun with Greenstreet playing Vickers' father.

Vickers has a lot of nice outfits (daddy is rich),  and she wears them well:

Martha Vickers – MovieActors.comSydney Greenstreet Martha Vickers Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image |  Shutterstock

• Like 3

Sydney Greenstreet appeared in 24 films between 1941-49; one of them he played himself in 'Hollywood Canteen' and another he had a quickie cameo as himself in "It's a Great Feeling". 

That leaves twenty-two movies where Sydney had a 'regular' part not as himself. 

The only two of those 22 not listed ^above^ are RUTHLESS and THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON.   If there's an 'Open' spot at present in the November schedule there aren't a lot of choices to fill it!

• Like 3

What a great series, so glad one of the best character actors is being honoured.  

Sydney Greenstreet had a rich career on Broadway, beginning with a supporting role in The Merchant of Venice in 1907, when he was 28 years ago. The cast also included Sybil Thorndike.  He later appeared (1938) as Sorin in Uncle Vanya with the Lunts. In 1933, he appeared in Roberta, the musical. He also played Uncle in The Good Earth, a role that was played on screen by Walter Connolly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 9/22/2021 at 7:46 AM, Barton_Keyes said:

'Boots' looks like it's scheduled on 11/25 at 6am EST.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, _Broadway_ said:

Hooray! I am so happy to see a character actor featured as the star of the month. Hopefully more character actors will get tributes like this in the future.

Yea,  especially those under contract with either Warner,  MGM or RKO where TCM has easy access to the films they made while with one of those studios.

• Like 1

So glad to see Sidney Greenstreet as SOTM this November.  I have always hoped TCM would do a month of character actors every day of a month (maybe January) like you do with the bigger film stars in August. There are just so many wonderful and diverse movies with charactor actors such as Eric Blore, Margery Main, Cuddles Sakall, Una Merkle, Dame Mae Whitty, Eve Arden, and on and on.  You get my drift.......

• Like 2
On 11/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, sagebrush said:

This month on TCM: November 2021

Song: "Ride On Time" by The Bamboos

This promo grew on me. If I had a criticism of the promos for 2020ish-2021, it's that the songs were more in a minor key and/or the video and the music didn't match.   And I know that crafting these is by no means easy.  And we are in a pandemic and I know there was a rebrand that happened. I guess I haven't heard/seen many that made me want to add them to the "playlist" from these years with a few exceptions. And in case you're wondering-this one got added. 

• Like 1
On 11/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, sugarpussoshea said:

So glad to see Sidney Greenstreet as SOTM this November.  I have always hoped TCM would do a month of character actors every day of a month (maybe January) like you do with the bigger film stars in August. There are just so many wonderful and diverse movies with charactor actors such as Eric Blore, Margery Main, Cuddles Sakall, Una Merkle, Dame Mae Whitty, Eve Arden, and on and on.  You get my drift.......

May Whitty would be a good choice.

Some leading actors and actresses were usually cast in character roles...like Danny Kaye and Rosalind Russell.