Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

13 WASHINGTON SQUARE (1928)

Presented in a 4K restoration from Universal Pictures, 13 Washington Square is a romantic comedy in which a meddling aristocratic mother tries to stop her son from eloping with a grocer’s daughter. So Mrs. De Peyster (Alice Joyce) dons a working class disguise and goes on a mission with her maid (an uproarious Zasu Pitts) to track down the lovers and block their illicit vows. But instead she crosses paths with a charismatic thief named Pyecroft (Jean Hersholt) who has plans to rob De Peyster’s home. All of them end up at her home on 13 Washington Square where their lies hilariously come to light.

https://www.kinolorber.com/film/13-washington-square

• Like 1
On 9/23/2021 at 4:45 AM, UMO1982 said:

13 WASHINGTON SQUARE (1928)

Presented in a 4K restoration from Universal Pictures, 13 Washington Square is a romantic comedy in which a meddling aristocratic mother tries to stop her son from eloping with a grocer’s daughter. So Mrs. De Peyster (Alice Joyce) dons a working class disguise and goes on a mission with her maid (an uproarious Zasu Pitts) to track down the lovers and block their illicit vows. But instead she crosses paths with a charismatic thief named Pyecroft (Jean Hersholt) who has plans to rob De Peyster’s home. All of them end up at her home on 13 Washington Square where their lies hilariously come to light.

https://www.kinolorber.com/film/13-washington-square

Thank you for creating this discussion section.

Did you get a review copy of 13 Washington Square? According  to the Kino Lorber site, the Blu-ray won't street until Tuesday, September 28.

I recently acquired the Kino Lorber Blu-ray Disc of The Web, starring Edmond O'Brien. For me, the selling point of this disc is the sterling commentary by "Professor and Film Scholar" Jason A. Ney.  He reports that this 1947 Universal-International production is considered a mediocre movie by Victoria Price (daughter of Vincent, who appears in The Web) and (I think) Vincent Price biographer Lucy Chase Williams. I'm inclined to agree.

Nonetheless, Ney's engaging delivery of fascinating facts regarding the movie and its stars greatly contributes to elevating the appeal of this Film Noir thriller. He entertainingly treats listeners to a bio on star O'Brien, who was (to me, amazingly) hugely popular with American audiences and erotically exciting to (some) women.* I found Ney's enthusiasm infectious and rewarding. To wit, he made me satisfied -- indeed, delighted! -- with my purchase**.

* "Edmund O'Brien's magnetic appearance and personality most fully stir women's imaginative impulses. We're all agreed that he has more male magnetism than any of the 60,000,000 men in the United States today." -- Young Women's League of America in 1949.

** By contrast, the derisive and derogatory commentaries by Emma Westwood and Cerise Howard on the Arrow Films Blu-ray Disc of The Giant Claw strikes me as a real drag.