Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Emperor of the North

I’m new to this website but not TCM last time I saw emperor of the north was >10 years please bring it back when you celebrate Ernest Borgnine every one shows Marty but he made some other good ones THANK YOU VJH

One thing I remember about EMPEROR OF THE NORTH was the filmmakers were daring enough to show Lee Marvin with horrible teeth.  Very few movies show their lead actor with awful choppers.  → Usually no matter how grubby the surroundings are the actors still have pearly whites to flash toward the camera. 

I reckon most filmmakers/studios figure they don't want to repulse their audience by showing too many rotten choppers on-screen!  🦷

Have another dentin → 🦷

1 hour ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, an unusual film.   Hobo hype. No less true than the type of things people put into their resumes these days.

I had to look up the storyline for this film and hobo-hype fits to a T.      Marvin and Carradine in competition for hobo of the year.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

One thing I remember about EMPEROR OF THE NORTH was the filmmakers were daring enough to show Lee Marvin with horrible teeth.  Very few movies show their lead actor with awful choppers.  → Usually no matter how grubby the surroundings are the actors still have pearly whites to flash toward the camera. 

I reckon most filmmakers/studios figure they don't want to repulse their audience by showing too many rotten choppers on-screen!  🦷

Have another dentin → 🦷

Where the teeth actually his,  or did the costume department use artificial teeth to achieve a more realistic hobo?

I wish I knew, James.  I just don't remember if Lee's real teeth were intentionally made to look 'nasty' or if he wore a fake set o'choppers. 

I know Peter Sellers wore a fake set of teef (sic) in THE OPTIMISTS (1973-UK). 

→ In the 1975 British musical movie THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP (aka:  "Mr. Quilp")  Anthony Newley stars and he wears a set of 'bad teeth' throughout the film --  except for 1 musical sequence where he forgot to put 'em in.   I figure it was not worth the time, trouble and expense to go back and re-film it with his fake icky choppers put back in . . . so in this scene Anthony's teeth look good cos they're his own!