Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lois Smith wins Tony Award tonight, 9/26/21, aged 90!

I've posted this in the LGBT thread, but I'm thrilled that The Inheritance, which I saw in London a few years ago, won four Tony Awards this evening: Best Play, Director, Actor, and Featured Actress. The Broadway production closed due to Covid  before I could see it, but I did see the two-part, seven-hour play in London several years ago, with Vanessa Redgrave in the featured part played by Lois Smith. However, I had the pleasure to work with Lois Smith a couple of times and found her to be a lovely, talented, and very special woman, who made her Broadway debut in 1952. She is now the oldest person ever to win an acting Tony Award.

Her film career includes the role of Annie in East of Eden, in 1955.

15TONYS-SMITH-1-articleLarge.jpg?quality

Lois Smith in The Inheritance

maxresdefault.jpg

James Dean, Lois Smith in East of Eden

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Swithin changed the title to Lois Smith wins Tony Award tonight, 9/26/21, aged 90!

Daytime TV fans remember Lois Smith from countless roles on soap operas over the years. 

Her most memorable turn was as Eleanor Conrad on The Doctors from 1975-77. For 253 episodes she played a woman released from a psychiatric institution who came home to rebuild her life. Her husband was having an affair and wanted out of the marriage. So she retaliated by hooking up with a young gigolo! 

In the soap genre she specialized in offbeat women who did outrageous things.

CC73902B-5D89-4274-8810-C4D5EFA0FAE2_4_5005_c

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In the soap genre she specialized in offbeat women who did outrageous things.

Isn't that every character in a soap opera? ;)

Lois Smith is an ensemble member  of Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre.

Her two prior Tony nominations were for performances in Steppenwolf productions that transferred to Broadway: THE GRAPES OF WRATH (she played Ma Joad) and BURIED CHILD.

GW432-1024x749.jpg

BC101.jpg

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Fedya said:

Isn't that every character in a soap opera? ;)

Not exactly. They all do outrageous things on soaps. But not all of them are offbeat. She had that down to a tee.

She was very good on The Doctors. It's a shame the character didn't last longer. She was a casualty of a regime change (new producer and headwriter).