Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Eddie Muller is Hellbound

You could see it in his face, and hear it in his voice.

He was really, really sorry he had to introduce the piece of crap that is "Hellbound" to a discriminating audience that is used to the best in film noir.

It's only going to get worse. If it can...

• Haha 1

I get the impression Muller is making most or all of the selections for Noir Alley, including Hell Bound. If TCM has a copy of a particular film and has broadcast rights, and Muller wants to feature it, the film will air on Noir Alley.  I think some of these low budget films make for entertaining viewing. How about Ulmer's Detour? They couldn't even afford a shoestring for the budget. Sometimes, schlock can be the best choice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Le Corbeau said:

He was really, really sorry he had to introduce the piece of crap that is "Hellbound" to a discriminating audience that is used to the best in film noir.

Crow,  I 'm always happy with Eddie's selections on Noir Alley.  That doesn't mean I like every single film he shows. But I've seen a lot of noirs,  and at least on Noir Alley  sometimes I get to view one I've never seen before.  I like that he presents a wide variety of noirs,  some foreign films, some British, some recently discovered languishing in a basement somewhere,  some really classic,  and some kind  of rubbish. Also,  some that it's a bit of a stretch to call them "noir".   You can't have first rate grade A noirs every time.  

Come on.  It's not  "only going to get worse".   It's a checkered program,  some weeks outstanding film noir   ( or is it films noir?)  and some weeks,  something kind of forgettable.  So what?   I'm just glad a program like Noir Alley exists at all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I think the OP is another of those newbie "troll types".  Like 'ootsy'.  The woods are full of these 'types', it seems. 

My only beef with HELLBOUND was the /jerky/ transfer.  I have 40+ year-old VHS tapes that play better than that. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I think the OP is another of those newbie "troll types".  Like 'ootsy'.  The woods are full of these 'types', it seems.

You may be correct. The timing is suspect, what with another member clearly trolling this forum last night and having most of what he posted, deleted. I see that that member went silent suddenly, so I suspect he may have gotten a timeout.

The author of this thread simply may be a fan of the work of French director Henri-Georges Clouzot, but, Clouzot's film Le Corbeau is about the effects of anonymously submitted poison pen letters.   Food for thought.

When you post- or even simply log onto a forum such as this, your IP address is recorded. There are tools available online-  free of charge-  which make it possibe to pinpoint an IP address location down to even zipcode level (in the US).  Usually, the next question people ask is "What if they're using a VPN?" Such services do disguise actual location of the member, but these tools I'm talking about tell you if a VPN  (or proxy server, cloud service, etc) is being employed.  Logging on via your phone service provider is another way of obscuring your location.  A good admin can put together all the clues and ferret out trolls. In my world, I do it all the time.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Exactly. They're full of discontent (malcontents?) and they're goal is to stir up trouble.

As for Muller, we have reached the point where he is now just a TCM host trotting out what's in the TCM library.

He would probably like to show more Universal, Republic and Paramount noir. But I suspect his hands are tied budget-wise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, unwatchable said:

You may be correct. The timing is suspect, what with another member clearly trolling this forum last night and having most of what he posted, deleted. I see that that member went silent suddenly, so I suspect he may have gotten a timeout.

The author of this thread simply may be a fan of the work of French director Henri-Georges Clouzot, but, Clouzot's film Le Corbeau is about the effects of anonymously submitted poison pen letters.   Food for thought.

When you post- or even simply log onto a forum such as this, your IP address is recorded. There are tools available online-  free of charge-  which make it possibe to pinpoint an IP address location down to even zipcode level (in the US).  Usually, the next question people ask is "What if they're using a VPN?" Such services do disguise actual location of the member, but these tools I'm talking about tell you if a VPN  (or proxy server, cloud service, etc) is being employed.  Logging on via your phone service provider is another way of obscuring your location.  A good admin can put together all the clues and ferret out trolls. In my world, I do it all the time.

Then there is the 3rd party "forum provider" which hosts this forum.  They would have access to the server logs, but some astute person on TCM's behalf would first need to realize this.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Le Corbeau said:

I enjoyed it, too bad for you.

18 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

To be fair, there's only so many times the can play "Out of the Past"

Exactly!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

My only beef with HELLBOUND was the /jerky/ transfer.  I have 40+ year-old VHS tapes that play better than that. 

That was you cable providers issue, It was fine for me.

As to "it's only going to get worse if it can"

Things can always be worse. Muller could sever his relationship with TCM and then we would be left with uhh what we woud have left. I don't see that happening right now, but, Le Corbeau asked.

A common complaint is that TCM shows certain films way-too-often,  too many from the main studios of Warner, MGM and RKO,  too much focus on star actors and directors and their big-budget films, and that generally, TCM should open up their rotation.

Eddie does that here with Hellbound;   A United Artist, low budget film with no big name actors (other than maybe Whitman,  who was just starting to make somewhat of a name for himself when this film was made).    

I guess my overall point is there is no pleasing of all-the-people-all-the-time.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

One of the great things about film noir is discovering obscure films which have fallen through the cracks. I love this kind of stuff.

In total agreement there.  Not just for noir, but for the other genres.   One of my favourite parts of Summer Under the Stars was when they showed the star of the day's less well known works.

• Like 2

I don't use many of these online forums. A couple of golf sites and this one. I've found that over time the negative posters eventually find them  and start attacking everything and everybody that posts. My wife is on Facebook and she has to be really careful because there are so many jerks on there. I've left several of the golf sites recently because of these people. It sounds like I'll probably have to leave here too. I hate it, but life's too short to have to deal with negative people.  

I saw the film years ago and I was glad when Eddie programmed it on Noir Alley. A lot of the framing and composition was like the panels of a graphic novel. The location shooting was awesome. Many big budget films don't bother to shoot footage  like that and quite a few  people mentioned  the street car junkyard climax so it did hit a note. A few scenes would have  fit into a David Lynch film. There's a lot of small, noirish crime films shot in the 1950s like Hell Bound and I look for them on other cable stations and streaming sites.

• Like 4

I wonder if Eddie's Film Noir Foundation is considering a restoration and is trying to gauge people's reaction and whether it's worth it.   I think the shots of old San Pedro and trolley car graveyard alone would make it a good candidate.   I love that Hell Bound has garnered many comments, mostly favorable.   And the thread title cracks me up. 😄

• Like 3
1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I get your joke, but I fear a lot of posters on here hate Dave Karger because he's, you know ...

A June Allyson lover?

• Haha 1