Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Eddie Muller is Hellbound

19 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I think the OP is another of those newbie "troll types".  Like 'ootsy'.  The woods are full of these 'types', it seems. 

My only beef with HELLBOUND was the /jerky/ transfer.  I have 40+ year-old VHS tapes that play better than that. 

I would bet most everybody has posted a criticism of TCM or a specific showing or intro, either in an OP or a comment on one. I think "troll" may be a little harsh, assuming they have motives of stirring up the membership. It was certainly on the negative side, and most of us disagree that it was awful and that Noir Alley is heading south, but, apparently, Le Corbeau thought Hellbound wasn't worthy and wanted to vent about it. I'm guessing he/she thought it'd get some support on that. A miscalculation, obviously. Usually, OP's that don't thrill us don't get much attention. That's the answer for consensus overly negative posts. Don't dignify it. This did, however, get more attention than many of you thought it deserved.

16 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I don't use many of these online forums. A couple of golf sites and this one. I've found that over time the negative posters eventually find them  and start attacking everything and everybody that posts. My wife is on Facebook and she has to be really careful because there are so many jerks on there. I've left several of the golf sites recently because of these people. It sounds like I'll probably have to leave here too. I hate it, but life's too short to have to deal with negative people.  

IMDB shut off their message boards because the trolls had taken over and were really brutal.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2021 at 12:23 AM, Le Corbeau said:

You could see it in his face, and hear it in his voice.

He was really, really sorry he had to introduce the piece of crap that is "Hellbound" to a discriminating audience that is used to the best in film noir.

It's only going to get worse. If it can...

I didn't see that at all. He's shown plenty of films of this type. Apparently you weren't watching.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I don't use many of these online forums. A couple of golf sites and this one. I've found that over time the negative posters eventually find them  and start attacking everything and everybody that posts. My wife is on Facebook and she has to be really careful because there are so many jerks on there. I've left several of the golf sites recently because of these people. It sounds like I'll probably have to leave here too. I hate it, but life's too short to have to deal with negative people.  

That's what the ignore button is for. I have quite a few posters on ignore.

16 hours ago, David Proulx said:

I would bet most everybody has posted a criticism of TCM or a specific showing or intro, either in an OP or a comment on one. I think "troll" may be a little harsh, assuming they have motives of stirring up the membership. It was certainly on the negative side, and most of us disagree that it was awful and that Noir Alley is heading south, but, apparently, Le Corbeau thought Hellbound wasn't worthy and wanted to vent about it. I'm guessing he/she thought it'd get some support on that. A miscalculation, obviously. Usually, OP's that don't thrill us don't get much attention. That's the answer for consensus overly negative posts. Don't dignify it. This did, however, get more attention than many of you thought it deserved.

Well, when a poster does this with only a few posts to their name or its their first post, it definitely seems trollish..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jameselliot said:

IMDB shut off their message boards because the trolls had taken over and were really brutal.

There's  a solution for that kind of thing, and it doesn't involve punishing guiltless members by taking away the forum. The admin comes in with a scythe and he cleans house. He doesn't do it surreptitiously. He doesn't wish the troublemakers into the cornfield, he doesn't send emails informing them of their banishment. In the open forum, for all to see, he wrecks every last one of them. In any given forum, this type of things is necessary usually only once.    Been there. Done that.

15 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

There's  a solution for that knd of thing, and it doesn't involve punishing guiltless members by taking away the forum. The admin comes in with a scythe and he cleans house. He doesn't do it surreptitiously. He doesn't wish the troublemakers into the cornfield, he doesn't send emails informing them of their banishment. In the open forum, for all to see, he wrecks every last one of them. In any given forum, this type of things is necessary usually only once.    Been there. Done that.

That's why I found it so puzzling that they did what they did.  That and the resources available to them through the extreme wealth of a little known company called AMAZON, which would make it child's play to upgrade their text file-based forum and bring it into the database age.

22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, when a poster does this with only a few posts to their name or its their first post, it definitely seems trollish..

I don't see where the title of the thread was necessary:   poor eddie muller is hellbound.       Ok,  I see the pun,  but that type of negativity is over-the-top to me.

Then the posters goes on with the assumption he knows what Muller was really feeling;    NOT.   I.e. none of us have a clue with regards to that.

So yea,   definitely seems trollish sound on-target.

5 minutes ago, Movie Collector OH said:

That's why I found it so puzzling that they did what they did.  That and the resources available to them through the extreme wealth of a little known company called AMAZON, which would make it child's play to upgrade their text file-based forum and bring it into the database age.

It sounds as if they cut their losses because they didn't really care about that forum. This is one of the advantages of privately-owned discussion forums; someone has invested the time to build a place where like-minded people can gather, and even those who don't agree with the way a place is run, can see the love from which the place has emanated, and members can have faith that when they go to log in the next day, the place will still be there..

• Like 1

Amazon also shut down the very active discussion boards on the Amazon site for reviewers, consumers, readers, movie lovers, just about everyone.  There was no troll problem, but they weren't forthcoming about reasons. Speculation still abounds but no place to complain or discuss it. 😁

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

It sounds as if they cut their losses because they didn't really care about that forum. This is one of the advantages of privately-owned discussion forums; someone has invested the time to build a place where like-minded people can gather, and even those who don't agree with the way a place is run, can see the love from which the place has emanated, and members can have faith that when they go to log in the next day, the place will still be there..

Theoretically.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:34 AM, TopBilled said:

Exactly. They're full of discontent (malcontents?) and they're goal is to stir up trouble.

As for Muller, we have reached the point where he is now just a TCM host trotting out what's in the TCM library.

He would probably like to show more Universal, Republic and Paramount noir. But I suspect his hands are tied budget-wise.

It is worth pointing out that these reactions do seem to be the modus operandi for this forum.  New members join and such people may be inspired to join because they have a complaint.  That does not make a complainer a troll. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

It is worth pointing out that these reactions do seem to be the modus operandi for this forum.  New members join and such people may be inspired to join because they have a complaint.  That does not make a complainer a troll. 

True.    It is more about how they complain.     Often,  like we see here,   the complainer is misinformed and way over the top.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Personally, I never check the resumes of the posters, so I take them at face value, purely reading the content. I'm beginning to gather that many have been on here for years and have come to look at this as a bit of a community, which I really like, by the way. I'm pretty new to it, since August, I think, but I have noticed that when a newbie comes in strong or starts with a negative OP, there is a suspicion among the core group to dismiss them quickly as a troll (I've seen it once before this one). I think my first one was a criticism of Alicia and what I thought was a overly gushing passing comment about Marilyn Monroe. I guess I'm saying that, if someone's first OP is a negative one and maybe with some passion, maybe that's ALL it is, and that irk they felt, unpopular as their take might be at times, is what motivated them to get their feet wet in the forum. In this case, I looked at his OP as a bit pessimistic with just a hint of jerk, but hardly over the top. That's why I was so surprised at the reaction and dismissal as "troll". One man's opinion.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, David Proulx said:

Personally, I never check the resumes of the posters, so I take them at face value, purely reading the content. I'm beginning to gather that many have been on here for years and have come to look at this as a bit of a community, which I really like, by the way. I'm pretty new to it, since August, I think, but I have noticed that when a newbie comes in strong or starts with a negative OP, there is a suspicion among the core group to dismiss them quickly as a troll (I've seen it once before this one). I think my first one was a criticism of Alicia and what I thought was a overly gushing passing comment about Marilyn Monroe. I guess I'm saying that, if someone's first OP is a negative one and maybe with some passion, maybe that's ALL it is, and that irk they felt, unpopular as their take might be at times, is what motivated them to get their feet wet in the forum. In this case, I looked at his OP as a bit pessimistic with just a hint of jerk, but hardly over the top. That's why I was so surprised at the reaction and dismissal as "troll". One man's opinion.

This is an interesting comment and yes, not every new poster is going to be a troll. Obviously.

But let's not over-generalize the long-time posters either. I've been posting here for over ten years and I have always registered strong opinions. But I balance it and offer up constructive criticism. 

24 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This is an interesting comment and yes, not every new poster is going to be a troll. Obviously.

But let's not over-generalize the long-time posters either. I've been posting here for over ten years and I have always registered strong opinions. But I also try to balance it and offer up constructive criticism. 

I wasn't trying to generalize, but I could see how it came out that way. I did somewhat characterize the group as a community. You could speak to that more than I could. I did seem that almost immediately, disagreement on the context was thrown aside, and a discussion about the already decided-to-be "troll" had taken over. I think someone might have even mentioned that they'd left the group. I think I might've too, given that welcome.

I will say, though, since I have you here, that I appreciate your effort to keep things positive, and your comments are good. I'm a fan. I do think, however, that one man's negativity is another man's waranted criticism, and still another's start of an interesting discussion/debate (as long as it stays respectful).

• Like 1

I found the streetcar graveyard scene in Hellbound fascinating as a snapshot of a particular point in time,  and it shows why old movies are worth watching regardless of what you think of their merits as a piece of art.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, jameselliot said:

This is absolutely true. I had mentioned it on these boards before, though as I recall, my comments were dismissed with many a "what do you know about it anyway, and what kind of proof do you have?" debunking.

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

This is absolutely true. I had mentioned it on these boards before, though as I recall, my comments were dismissed with many a "what do you know about it anyway, and what kind of proof do you have?" debunking.

I don't see why you were doubted. Any forum with any traffic at all will get overrun by troublemakers if there is not competent, active moderation.

I had a colleague who started his own forum about a decade ago. He was trying to be noble and open-minded by telling members that the forum woud have no moderators and no moderation, and no one would ever be banned. Utter foolishness.  When I heard about this, I told him that he was begging for trouble, because there are people out there who would take his high ideals about absolute freedom of speech as a challenge and cram those ideals down his throat, and that's exactly what happened. Inside of two weeks of launch, he had a staff of a half dozen moderators and posted rules which outlined behaviors which would get a member banned.

2 hours ago, unwatchable said:

I don't see why you were doubted. Any forum with any traffic at all will get overrun by troublemakers if there is not competent, active moderation.

I had a colleague who started his own forum about a decade ago. He was trying to be noble and open-minded by telling members that the forum woud have no moderators and no moderation, and no one would ever be banned. Utter foolishness.  When I heard about this, I told him that he was begging for trouble, because there are people out there who would take his high ideals about absolute freedom of speech as a challenge and cram those ideals down his throat, and that's exactly what happened. Inside of two weeks of launch, he had a a staff of a half dozen moderators and posted rules which outlined behaviors which would get a member banned.

yup, sounds sorta familiar...  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

If that story sounds familiar to you, it's possible that you and I know each other from a different place and under different web personas.

I'm just having some fun with this.  It does sound like a boilerplate recipe for disaster though, where slightly different details or setting might perfectly describe someone else's situation just the same.