Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Eddie Muller is Hellbound

Le Corbeau

I disagree.  I disagree with any kind of censorship at all.  Now if the forum boys want to oust someone I guess they can.  Go ahead and do it.  Then pretty soon the only posters left will be the ones echoing the powers that be so they don’t get ousted too. 

52 minutes ago, Thompson said:

I disagree.  I disagree with any kind of censorship at all.  Now if the forum boys want to oust someone I guess they can.  Go ahead and do it.  Then pretty soon the only posters left will be the ones echoing the powers that be so they don’t get ousted too. 

Well, I know of what I speak, and I can tell you that "censorship" as you call it is a necessary part of a well-regulated forum which decent people wish to frequent. Consider it like pest control if nothing else. As I described on the previous page of this thread, attempting to allow absolute and unfettered freedom of speech is a recipe for disaster. I've seen such a trainwreck with my own eyes.

When you say "go ahead and do it"- well, I have done it and I am doing it in my own realm, and it's being done here. Imagine a world without a civil authority such as the police; it would be every man for himself. There's a word for that: anarchy. In an anarchistic society (if you can even call a lawless place a "society") the weak get eaten, and stronger factions war with each other until there's only one faction left. That's not a discussion forum; that's the Thunderdome from Mad Max.

As to the last sentence in your post, well, quite simply, you are wrong. You don't have to even look outside of this forum. Are there decent people here? Certainly. Virtually everyone here can be described as decent (unlike the belligerent, confrontational troll I saw a few days ago.) Where is he now? Somewhere else, thanks to the moderators. Are we allowed to speak our mind, assuming we don't become belligerent and vitriolic? Yes. I can attest to this myself regarding this forum. I've brought some sharp, critical opinions along with me regarding TCM and I'm still here.  Any forum with moderator sharks cruising the waters looking for the slightest excuse to gobble any fish of any size- well, that place is self-destructive and won't last for long, and if it does manage to survive, who wants to spend their evenings in a garbage dump?

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:10 PM, TopBilled said:

But let's not over-generalize the long-time posters either. I've been posting here for over ten years and I have always registered strong opinions. But I balance it and offer up constructive criticism.

I suppose then you've been subject to constructive criticism?   I don't know that people would respond to criticism well, however it is characterized.