Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's Jacqueline Stewart awarded MacArthur Fellowship

Why not just "overlooked film makers"? Why does everything have to be about race?

This kind of thing, despite its stated purpose, serves to divide us as a people. It's a form of segregation.

The same holds true when we emphasize "women filmmakers". It's divisive.

We're not going to make any actual progress as a society until people get past this identity nonsense. This assumes, of course, that everyone wants to get past it and not wallow in it, and that, unfortunately is not true.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Why not just "overlooked film makers"? Why does everything have to be about race?

This kind of thing, despite its stated purpose, serves to divide us as a people. It's a form of segregation.

The same holds true when we emphasize "women filmmakers". It's divisive.

We're not going to make any actual progress as a society until people get past this identity nonsense. This assumes, of course, that everyone wants to get past it and not wallow in it, and that, unfortunately is not true.

Well I noticed many things in the last year or two, several posters are getting tired of the 'lecturing' (I may have not the right term) about the race issue.The other night Mr Karger and Mrs Stewart were presenting Citizen Kane,they were mentionning the original annoted screenplay was available at the museum there and she mentionned  the screenplay of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was there also. I like the movie with Gregory Peck very much, but I feel this was not necessary comment regarding Citizzen Kane,we all know what To Kill a Mockingbird'is about.This is my opinion.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Seriously? It's the filmmakers themselves who were involuntarily segregated during the entire "classic" era, and even in the 70s and 80s were largely obligated to work outside the mainstream. Their work was of necessity directed primarily at a black audience, which inevitably limited its exposure, and thus its ability to be considered an integral part of standard film history. She's not the one "segregating" anything. On the contrary, she's trying to integrate these films back into mainstream consciousness.

More to the point, this subject matter is her particular area of expertise and has formed the primary basis of her life's work. Would you be saying the same thing if Eddie Muller had won a MacArthur fellowship to explore and encourage the appreciation and understanding of film noir? The films she's interested in have been much less thoroughly studied than those (even less so than many mediocre films noirs). So why, exactly, shouldn't she focus on them? As the MacArthur link says, her work "fills critical gaps in the history of American media."

Also, your presumption that the mere act of focusing on these films is tantamount to wallowing in and thus perpetuating racial animus is not borne out by any evidence.  If you've ever seen the TCM short film about the history of blackface, for example, you'll note that her approach to the topic is remarkably objective and clear-headed: she understands it in a larger historical context and argues strenuously against any efforts to censor such material.

As the saying goes, "the only way out is through." (This also applies to your admirable goal of a post-racial society, by the way.) 🙂

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Seriously? 

I couldn't be more serious.  Oh, and she's leaving TCM? Or is that just a rumor? Are we taking guesses as to who her replacement might be? It would probably be easier to take a good guess at who it won't be.

If she does leave, I doubt I'll notice for a while, if at all. I've listened to some of her intros. Hey, there's an idea for her replacement! The intern(s) who write her scripts.

But, please, do continue on with the divisive identity nonsense.  I've no delusions about dissuading anyone who has fallen for that stuff. It's tantamount to a religion with that crowd, so I'm just a heretic.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I must admit:  I didn't know Gen. Douglas MacArthur HAD a 'Fellowship' Award named after him.  

Live and learn.    🙃

Does this fellowship promote Japanese films? 

3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Will she be giving TCM notice? I like her as a host, but if this was unexpected I wonder if she'll be leaving. 

She holds down at least 3 jobs, though I believe she's on sabbatical from her position at The University of Chicago, I presume due to the time commitment required at the Academy.

58 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

She holds down at least 3 jobs, though I believe she's on sabbatical from her position at The University of Chicago, I presume due to the time commitment required at the Academy.

I believe that she's also on the board of the National Film Registry. I was reading through Ms. Stewart's bio on TCM's website and she has a very impressive list of accolades.

https://www.tcm.com/host/8/Jacqueline Stewart/

When you think about it, the founding generations were the original practitioners of identity

politics. They identified certain groups of people as their inferiors which made it easier to

enslave and exploit them. Now it's time for a little payback. Loving it.

• Like 1

There actually is a General Douglas MacArthur Fellowship. Every year the chosen recipient

receives a gold plated corncob pipe, a pair or aviator sunglasses, and a dugout canoe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

There actually is a General Douglas MacArthur Fellowship. Every year the chosen recipient

receives a gold plated corncob pipe, a pair or aviator sunglasses, and a dugout canoe.

But will he return?

No, sadly, he will just "Fade away."  

And didn't know the founders of the MacArthur Foundation were ground zero for identity politics. Oh, the surprising things I learn around here! 

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

But will he return?

Highly unlikely. The MacArthur Fellowship was put in motion by the same guy whose foundation

is often listed as a sponsor on PBS programs. Plus the recipients get a nice pile of cash with no

restrictions on how to spend it. If I were Jackie I'd get a new Jag,

The MacArthur fellowships have long been touted through good PR as "genius grants." However, as many people have pointed out over the years, political correctness seems to play a large role in the selections, despite denials from the foundation. Of course, they have the right to give away their money however they choose. Jacqueline Stewart seems like a worthy grantee.