Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash Part Deux--Now Alicia Is Spinning

Twokeets

Just when I had resigned myself to the slow motion eternal creeping of Ben's background  (I close my eyes when it's on), they dig their heels in and do the same thing to Alicia's intro. I was so grateful that the background didn't keep moving pointlessly behind Alicia and Mr. Karger. But now I see my worries will not be assuaged! I can't tell you how much I hate this new effect. I will not give up on the channel because my love of classic film is deep and everlasting. However, I can't watch the moving background. I will just have to keep closing my eyes, I guess.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 9/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, Twokeets said:

Just when I had resigned myself to the slow motion eternal creeping of Ben's background  (I close my eyes when it's on), they dig their heels in and do the same thing to Alicia's intro. I was so grateful that the background didn't keep moving pointlessly behind Alicia and Mr. Karger. But now I see my worries will not be assuaged! I can't tell you how much I hate this new effect. I will not give up on the channel because my love of classic film is deep and everlasting. However, I can't watch the moving background. I will just have to keep closing my eyes, I guess.

Yes, just noticed that with Alicia, too.  It's as though they don't want you to watch the intros!  Unmotivated camera movement is idiotic.  And, since I'm sure they bring the hosts in to do dozens of intros at a time, there is no hope that this might end anytime soon.  TCM Nouveaux continues . . . If there's something they can screw up, they will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They should do a Robert Osborne virtual hologram like they did for Elvis.It would cure the problem and Robert would do all the intros in this virtual manner,TCM should check into it,they might save a lot of nmoney...

• Like 1

Doesn't anyone at TCM remember the Letterbox short that ran for years and years?  "I get the heebie-jeebies thinking of   (insert name of host here)   panned and scanned."   I should think that one just doesn't play fast and loose with the Gospel According to Pollack.  But I do wonder if anyone now at TCM knows who Sydney Pollack was?!   Oh, quel dommage. Quel dommage. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nakano said:

They should do a Robert Osborne virtual hologram like they did for Elvis.It would cure the problem and Robert would do all the intros in this virtual manner,TCM should check into it,they might save a lot of nmoney...

Here's a cool one.  This isn't a hologram either, just creative color channel mixing/blending, to match the original.

https://countryfancast.com/elvis-presley-martina-mcbride-blue-christmas/

Considering all the changes TCM just made - I think it's fair to say - they are absolutely catering to a younger audience. The constant camera pan back and forth in the intros are purely there to capture the younger crowd -- which these days has a very short attention span. The movement kind of tricks your brain into being less bored when looking at a still/static shot of someone talking. Personally, I hate it. They also added it to their in-between movies "commercials" showing what's coming up on the schedule. The background has squiggly lines moving in the background. I'm truly disappointed in most of the changes. I do like the new sets. I love classic movies -- so I'll have to be grumpy and bare it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lydecker said:

Yes, just noticed that with Alicia, too.  It's as though they don't want you to watch the intros!  Unmotivated camera movement is idiotic.  And, since I'm sure they bring the hosts in to do dozens of intros at a time, there is no hope that this might end anytime soon.  TCM Nouveaux continues . . . If there's something they can screw up, they will.

It does feel like they don't want you to watch the intros. I just can't deal with the randomly moving backgrounds. So, at first I started closing my eyes. Now my attention wanders. Next I won't care if I see the intros or not, which is a huge, sad shift for me. 

• Haha 1

Thinking of Sydney Pollack back a while ago, now I'm reminded of "Tootsie." (Wait a minute! That's the movie I was trying to think of for the thread about popular movies that one doesn't like!  Everyone likes "Tootsie," but I don't really care for it all that much.  I'll have to jog over across the boards to see if that thread is still going)

OK, sorry about that, folks.  Just derailed myself momentarily, but I've regained a calm and collected demeanor.  Yes, "Tootsie" when Dustin Hoffman is auditioning for the soap opera role with Dabney Coleman as the director.  Coleman is giving directions to the cameramen as to where to go, which way to turn, how far back to go, etc.   Hoffman thinks the director is talking to him so keeps asking, "My right? Or your Right?  Left, what?"  Getting a weird feeling that Dabney Coleman is now at TCM putting together these intro's and outro's.  And we the audience are stupefied, and all we can say is, "What? TCM, nobody's listening to you."  

Hey, everybody, have a great day!

21 hours ago, nakano said:

Perhaps, a hologram would intrigue young viewers, too.  Win-win.

DABNEY COLEMAN is still alive at age 89 so he could be staying busy doing some TCM intros!  Gotta do somethin', right?  As long as yer breethin' ye may as well stay busy!  

(I noted Dabney Coleman's ex-wife, JEAN HALE, died recently.  How's that for a 'segue' to nowhere!).  🙃

• Like 2

I've told young directors for years to avoid just this sort of dreck.  I "get it" that breaking the rules can be seen as fun or "awesome," but it's mostly not.  A friend of mine worked on Mindhunter, and if you watch that series, you'll see how precise and limited the camera movement is.  The camera moves when it needs to and it doesn't move otherwise.  That a channel that caters to classic film lovers is doing this is absurd.  It's like watching some stupid sports set with 8 macho guys talking smack about football, while the camera roams the set.  But to do it when there is only ONE presenter is just mind-numbing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, overeasy said:

That a channel that caters to classic film lovers is doing this is absurd.  It's like watching some stupid sports set with 8 macho guys talking smack about football, while the camera roams the set.  But to do it when there is only ONE presenter is just mind-numbing.

Overeasy, today, you are my champion.

• Like 1

Glad to see others feel the same way. Last night Alicia's background was randomly creeping from side to side again. It's so distracting! And it has an artificial feel to it, as if someone left the controls running while they went out to lunch.

• Like 1

It's either shipboard on a Victory at Sea shoot or a severely inebriated camera man. Although it could be both.

22 hours ago, Tamara58 said:

...they are absolutely catering to a younger audience.

A different audience for sure, if they're shooting for younger they've missed.  Changing the food bowl wont increase Fido's appetite for the same old kibble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings