Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm in Australia (asleep when most of these replies are posted) I thought it was

Glen, but the straight black hair from the back made me think of a young Robert Wagner

but looking again Glen is a little more "solid" than Robert at this stage (sorry Glen).

Thank you, Dothery for this picture of Mustin. It is amazing to me how little he changed from young man to old. I can recognize him easily in the picture you posted. And all the info on Walter Brennan is interesting, too. I love this kind of information.

I had English Lit as a minor in college - took a whole course in Shakespeare. Yet, I can't tell you anymore about it than the basic stuff everybody knows. But, you ask me about classic cinema or television trivia, and I can tell you all kinds of information. I remember things from movies that my aunt took me to see when I was a child of six years old. I can remember watching Mr. Peepers, Ernie Kovacks, Your Show Of Shows, and Life Of Riley with my parents. I can remember plays that I watched on the Armstrong Circle Theater and Playhouse 90. I guess it all comes down to what you really enjoy and I always loved show business.

Thanks Mimi. My "gut reaction" was Glen Ford when I first looked, but you know how young guys hunch over with their hands in their pockets walking, and the picture was from 1952 when Robert Wagner was very young.......should have stuck with the gut reaction! ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo 00000annama_zps26d68e5c.jpg

ANNA MARIA ALBERGHETTI is 77 today

photo 00000aut_zps8dd971ac.jpg

URSULA THIESS (1924 - 2010)

photo 00000adowl_zps32ec127c.jpg

DORIS DOWLING (1923 - 2004)

photo 00000ajos_zps35f1fedf.jpg

JOSEPH WISEMAN (1918 - 2009)

photo 00000amason_zpsdf628cb1.jpg

JAMES MASON (1909 - 1984)

photo 00000ada_zpse269125a.jpeg

TOM D'ANDREA (1909 - 1998)

photo 00000ajc_zps832ef3fe.jpg

JOSEPH COTTEN (1905 - 1994)

I was lucky enough to be living in New York when Your Show of Shows was in production. I had a friend who had a friend who was an assistant director on the show, and he used to get us tickets for the balcony of the theater where it was telecast, which was prized seating, since you could actually see the actors performing. If you were in the orchestra you could only see the backs of the cameras and had to watch the show on the big screens placed around the theater. (I once met Imogene Coca's mother-in-law while we were waiting to go inside. How's that for classy?)

Wally Cox was a favorite of mine. Mr. Peepers was top of the line for us in those days. A brilliant show. Tony Randall told a story about their watching the dailies and Tony being disappointed with his own performance. He said, "Does that look like acting?" And Wally saying, "Yeah; it looks a lot like acting." For some reason that convulsed Tony. What a wonderful show it was. Ernest Truex played the heroine's father. He called her his little brown-eyed bobolink.

To see a television show in production, especially when the shows were live, must have been wonderful. I bet watching Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Carl Reiner, and Howard Morris in action was a real treat. And I loved Mr. Peepers! Don't you love to hear Tony Randall's stories about working with Wally Cox?

There has never been anything to equal those live television shows from the early days of television with the exception of The Carol Burnett Show. We need more of this type of comedy on TV now.

And also in movies. There are so few truly comic movies made now. The ideas that those actors along with Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, and even Cary Grant and Bob Hope brought to entertainment seem to have been cast aside. Now, everything has to have a message. I don't enjoy the new movies or the comedies on TV. Maybe I am just living in the past. But, you know what - it was a much happier place in which to live.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo 00000acraiga_zpsb13fdde6.jpg

YVONNE CRAIG is 76 today

photo 00000acarey_zpse3b3f020.jpg

HARRY CAREY JR. (1921 - 2012)

photo 00000amarga_zps23d0a8e5.jpg

MARGARET SULLAVAN (1909 - 1960)

photo 00000afonda_zpsb4129282.jpg

HENRY FONDA (1905 - 1982)

photo 00000agordona_zps96c567f2.jpg

MARY GORDON (1882 - 1963)

photo 00000aholmesa_zpsf2600f24.jpg

TAYLOR HOLMES (1878 - 1959)

photo 00000aaewa_zpsedb89044.jpg

Gower Champion, Esther Williams, Howard Keel, Marge Champion and Richard Haydn get into a game of Scrabble on the Sky Valley, California, location of "Jupiter?s Darling"

Wow. When I first saw this last photo, I thought it was Robert Culp!!! Striking resemblance in profile to Gower Champion, I think. Thanks for posting it. I LOVE Howard Keel in a beard. I thought in *Kiss Me Kate* in those tights(LOL) and beard, he was one of the sexiest, handsomest guys on the screen. :)

Far more like Trevor Howard than Richard Haydn - I even looked up the cast to see if there had been a mistake. But no - Trevor Howard is not listed. I have never seen even heard of this movie before. The cast seems to like each other enough to play Scrabble together - that's a good sign, I guess.

So Henry and Margaret were not only each other's first spouses out of five but shared the same birthday? This keeps getting weirder and weirder. Peter Fonda and Bridget Hayward, two of their respective children, were also involved until, like her mother, Bridget took her life-as had Peter's mother. And Bridget's sister, Brooke, was the first wife of Dennis Hopper, Peter's *Easy Rider* cohort. This is quite a contrast between Henry's onscreen persona and real life. Brooke's book, *Haywired,* is a good read.

I LOVE Howard Keel in a beard. I thought in *Kiss Me Kate *in those tights(LOL) and beard, he was one of the sexiest, handsomest guys on the screen. :)

I thought so too. My favorite number in it was "Where is the Life that Late I Led," done on the runway of the theater in "Kiss Me Kate." He had such a great voice and was such a presence on screen.

The whole score is a favorite of mine. The film is one of my favorite musicals. Where Is the Life Of Late I Led, a great song. I pretty much know the words by heart, I've always loved it. I'm so glad you agree about Howard Keel. Since I was a teenager I've thought Howard Keel was Gorgeous in *Kiss Me Kate* ;)

I too love Howard Keel!! I was lucky enough to see Howard Keel & Jane Powell in 1978 touring with a stage production of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers in Dallas. It was incredible!!! He didn't even need a microphone. His voice was so pure & strong & beautiful. And so handsome!!! I love ALL his movies but, if I had to choose, my favorites are Seven Brides, Calamity Jane & Showboat. He was such a gift!!