Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> to me she doesn't look like the offspring of two english parents.

Hmmmm...well remember James, not ALL Brits look like Terry-Thomas(could never understand that whole hyphen thing there???) and/or Margaret Rutherford, dude!!! ;)

LOL

Great photo of Steve Forrest. From his bio, he was a really decent and likable guy as well as a good actor. My favorite role of his was in *Rogue Cop.*

I'm still in awe of that Raymond Burr photo and that Bill Williams and he had the same birthday. At least Barbara Hale only had one date to remember.

Merle Oberon was not born in England, but in Bombay. And as far as her parents are concerned, she wasn't exactly sure where her mother was born nor was she sure who her father actually was. I think Joan Collins background was a whole lot different than Oberon's. And in that picture, it is not only the makeup that makes her look like she was part Indian but even her skin color is darker (maybe suntan?)

Thanks for that correction on Merle. What I meant to say was that Merle was known as a British actress to American audiences, but one could see that her ethnic background wasn't 100% British. So when I saw that picture of Joan I wonder if she had a similar type background. Appears she didn't but the look she has in that picture made me wonder. Now I wonder if that picture had a purpose. e.g. did her agent have her take it to try to promote her for exotic roles? She was tested for the role of Cleopatra (of course Liz got it!), but that type of role calls for a certain type (well that is only somewhat true because if Gene Tierney can play Asian roles, anything is possible in Hollywood).

Right James. And I think you are probably right about that photo. I can just imagine her agent suggesting that type of makeup in order to promote her for a role like Cleopatra. I also think that Joan hoped for bigger roles in films than what she ended up with. She wasn't a bad actress, but somehow to me she was missing something. Maybe if Elizabeth Taylor hadn't been around, some of her roles would have gone to Joan. I can't see her cast as Maggie in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, but I can certainly see her in Butterfield 8.

I've read that *Cleopatra* was supposed to be a much smaller scale production than what we ended up getting. Joan Collins would have been Cleo with Stephen Boyd as Marc Antony and Peter Finch as Caesar. Hollywood history would have been so much different had this occured. Hopefully Joan would have had better makeup than in *Land of the Pharaohs* and based on her work there I think she might have pulled it off with the right direction. I don't think the final result was all that good; perhaps less might have equaled more.

A great picture of James Arness, Mongo. I remember a story Doc Stone told us about his having helped him get the contract he wanted from CBS, who were trying to stiff him for a raise. Arness was so angry he was disrupting shooting, until Doc took him aside and told him he was attacking the wrong people. He told him to disappear at the end of the season ... just go away and not let them find him, not even tell his agent where he was going. Arness took his advice, and when they were on hiatus he went to Tokyo and to Norway and every time the network rep caught up with him he was off somewhere else. Finally they gave up and gave him what he wanted. Doc knew they wouldn't let him go. Without him "Gunsmoke" would have been nothing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo 000000aaaloua_zps9087d432.jpg

LOUIS GOSSETT JR. is 77 today

photo 000000aaachrisa_zps5908ab0d.jpg

CHRISTOPHER LEE is 91 today

photo 000000aaawba_zpsff65aa3e.jpg

WILLIE BEST (1916 - 1962)

photo 000000aaavpa_zpsefe48c5e.jpg

VINCENT PRICE (1911 - 1993)

photo 000000aaalwa_zps9a96cb3b.jpg

LUCILE WATSON (1879 - 1962)