Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mongo dear, Oops! Apologies to those I contradicted, when it appears they were right about the Kim Hunter picture, and I was late to the party.

I saw "Beyond the Rocks" a couple of times during the last year or two. I love Valentino when he's being the sheik but also when he's being the man of the world. This was not a bad picture at all, melodrama or not. Elinor Glyn really knew her onions, and her drama, didn't she ?

That is a great photo of Robert Easton. I used to see him in many old Westerns and Civil War type films, such as The Red Badge of Courage. He had a great regional accent which could sound either Southern or "Yankee", or Western, and he was always a menorable character, because of his looks and his voice.

In your photo, he looks like he walked right out of the early 19th Century. :)

John Dehner, another great character actor. He started out as a animator for Walt Disney. He created the role of Paladin on the radio version of "Have Gun-Will Travel". The radio version debuted after the TV series was on. A rare thing. He lost the lead to on the TV series to Richard Boone because he was under contract to Warners and was working on the series "The Roaring 20's"...

Thanks, Fred. The reason Easton was at the event for Jane Froman was in connection with her bio movie "With a Song in My Heart' with Susan Hayward. He had a part in the film.

Fredbaetz, thanks for the info on character actor John Dehner.

;) I love that phonograph as well. From that huge dial I assume it was also a radio. I remember a couple of breadbox shaped radios, one light and one dark brown with those same dials in front, in our house during the 50's.

Grandma also had a phonograph that only played 45's. in addition to 331/3 LP's they made albums that came in five 45 records you'd play them all on one side then flip to hear the rest. I was on my own before I got one that handled LP's as well as single 45's-you added an attachment to the spindle and switched speeds to play those. More trouble and less portable than today's music makers but oh, my was what we heard ever better. Thanks from me too, Mongo!

Like that picture of Kathryn Grant Crosby, Mongo ... I always admired her. Bing told the story once of her reaction when he stood her up at the altar ... twice! ... and then wrote to tell her he was ready to marry her any time, any place, after she refused to take his calls or have anything further to do with him. After they were married she framed the letter and hung it on their bedroom wall. A girl with grit.

Crosby left the the young Grant on hold while he conquered other eye candy in Hollywood.

He relented at the time he was 32 years older than her, although he was a good singer and actor.

Lousy first time father, good 2nd time father.