Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mongo, that tale took place in Orson Welles' early slim days on the Hollywood scene. If he had tried sitting on Williams back then, Big Boy might have punched him into orbit.

Glad you liked the anecdote. Errol Flynn really knew how to tell a tale well.

The greys have it again. William Hopper was much more "interesting looking" after his dark hair began to turn. *The High and the Mighty* or *Perry Mason* bear that out.

I knew Lawrence Tierney and Scott Brady were brothers but never really noticed how strong the resemblance was before. I thought that was Brady with Anne Jeffreys before I saw the caption. As for the waistlines, it's always seemed to me the actresses of the 50's were "meatier" than the matchsticks they're expected to be today and looked more realistic. There was no "size zero", average was 10 or12 rather than 8 yet many a pin-up found its way to guys' lockers, bunks or bedrooms and girls still wanted to look like their favorite star. We never heard of "anorexia" back then either.

Actually, Mongo, I'm not so certain that Lawrence Tierney's waist is slimmer than Anne Jeffreys'. If I had a woman looking like that sitting in front of me on the beach, I'd be sucking in my stomach too.

>Tracy, Elizabeth Allen is not related to Montgomery and Agnes Moorehead played her mom on "Bewitched".

I know Agnes Moorehead was Endora. EM's mother was an actress named Elizabeth Allen and since this one looks like her, I wondered if it was her. So I looked her up and she would have been far too young to be EM's mom.

Just to backtrack a little here...

>I know Agnes Moorehead was Endora. EM's mother was an actress named Elizabeth Allen and since this one looks like her, I wondered if it was her. So I looked her up and she would have been far too young to be EM's mom.

I believe I know where this "confusion" came from here, tracey.

If that picture of birthday gal of a few days ago, Elizabeth Allen, doesn't look almost exactly like Elizabeth Montgomery when we played her "evil twin" Serena in "Bewitched", than I don't know what does.

photo ampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsa24e7d00.jpg

Triangle: Franchot Tone, Barbara Payton and birthday boy Tom Neal

In 1951, in a dispute over the on-again / off-again affections and the wavering allegiance of notorious actress / "party girl" Barbara Payton, he mixed it up with Payton's paramour, the aristocratic actor Franchot Tone. The former college boxer Neal inflicted upon Tone a smashed cheekbone, a broken nose and a brain concussion. Hollywood essentially blackballed Neal thereafter, but he would come to find a livelihood in gardening and landscaping.

photo ampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps634731f8.jpg

I remember this well. Barbara climbed in the window of the hospital room to see Tone when he was there after his nose and cheekbone were broken. They were married, but it only lasted a couple of months before she left him. She toured with Neal in some plays here and there. They were supposed to be married, at least she said so, but it never happened.

Barbara did not come to a good end, sadly. She was an alcoholic and was arrested for prostitution at one point. She died while living with her parents.

Mongo, that was probably close to the last time that big bowl of butter would have been on the table, depending on which end of the year it was. After 1941 butter was as scarce as hen's teeth, as well as sugar, meat of any kind, rubber, shoes and cloth. I remember a bus driver saying, "Move to the rear of the bus; there's a pound of butter on the back seat." Ration points were the big item. We had a large family, so we were okay, since the baby got as many points as Grandpa or the other adults. When I looked at the picture the old reflex kicked in and I thought, "Put that butter away!"