Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bansi4

*CANDIDS* 2

That James Brown photo looks like it's from *Rin-Tin-Tin* but he looks much older and harsher than I remember. I think it's the makeup; the lipstick makes his look like a woman's.

I also didn't recognize Virginia Grey but see why she caught Hollywood's eye.

If you've never read Joseph Schildkraut's autobiography, *My Father and I,* you should. I did as a teen and it helped me understand just how vicious anti-Semitism really was. Both were courageous men.

Back at 5:40: Would you believe there's an episode running on *Antenna TV* now and I'm right? You can hardly believe it's the same man. I didn't know there was such a difference in TV and photographer's makeup.

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps6889ec7b.jpg

Director Edward Dmytryk exults at Carroll Baker?s performance in "The Carpetbaggers"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpscd0a26e5.jpg

KENNETH TOBEY (1917 - 2002)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpse294d67f.jpg

JOAN CRAWFORD (1906 - 1977)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsff55df4e.jpg

The photo that made Birthday gal Joan Crawford stay home forever, taken in 1974, with Rosalind Russell. She was 68. (looks like bad lighting to me)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsb544e38a.jpg

Clifton Webb and Gene Tierney perform a scene on the set of "Laura". The balding gentleman behind the camera is director Otto Preminger

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsfaa71670.jpg

STEVE McQUEEN (1930 - 1980)

photo 9d9d33bd-cbab-4f3d-ab54-0d194f676d36_zpsfbe03da4.jpg

VANESSA BROWN (1928 - 1999)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsfdae6583.gif

MURRAY HAMILTON (1923 - 1986)

photo 4b601697-3d80-4ba0-8849-3de0f73045c0_zpsde1ebe5b.jpg

GENE NELSON (1920 - 1996)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsc30effc3.jpg

RICHARD CONTE (1910 - 1975)

mcqueen4.jpg

"King of Cool" and Birthday Boy McQueen walking his Triumph motorcycle to the starting grid during the 1964 International Six Day Trials event held in East Germany that year.

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsee1e7cf1.jpg

Dynamic duo Nick Cravat and Burt Lancaster in a still from "The Crimson Pirate"

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps0191f304.jpg

In "Scarlet Street" Edward G. Robinson plays a meek man, but behind the scenes he has fun with costar Dan Duryea while reverting to his tough guy persona

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsaa8ad33b.jpg

SIMONE SIGNORET (1921 - 1985)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps19acf5eb.jpg

NANCY KELLY (1921 - 1995)

photo 71e42b07-abf4-458a-bced-b4ec9afb27ef_zpsdcc61596.jpg

JEANNE CAGNEY (1919 - 1984)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps4f51b4e3.jpg

JEAN ROGERS (1916 - 1991)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsd1683145.jpg

BINNIE BARNES (1903 - 1998)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps7dea0f4b.jpg

ED BEGLEY (1901 - 1970)

Sorry, can't resist, Joe...

"Yeah Clark. Pappy here DID say he would have liked to have had you and Tom here on board this movie too, but he felt your parts were...ahem...'expendable'."

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps282224c2.jpg

Errol Flynn and birthday gal the late Patrice Wymore on location for "Rocky Mountain"

Joe,

My first thought was what was Robert Montgomery saying to get a look like that from Gable but then looking closer at the pic and seeing how relaxed everyone else is, I realized it was just the angle the photographer had (the side view of Gable) that made it look like Gable look perturbed.

Well Iz, maybe Bob Montgomery DID say what I suggested he said there, and maybe Gable, apparently much like mongo here, wasn't a fan of puns EITHER?!!!

(...and hence the "perturbed" look on Gable's face!) LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo 771b3098-5e6e-44bc-b540-eb07efebf53c_zps3ec388c2.jpg

LEONARD NIMOY is 83 today

photo 81127347-f2fb-488d-a4e5-f1f0343faeb1_zpse5b74d57.jpg

STROTHER MARTIN (1919 - 1980)

photo b6979413-6919-4368-aafc-5f7e5a3def75_zps867a0a49.jpg

STERLING HAYDEN (1916 - 1986)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsb5a34b04.jpg

WILL WRIGHT (1894 - 1962)

photo 9ca5f4ce-6a0c-4eb3-8957-966f3ec78ad3_zpsaf5e60af.jpg

Gloria Grahame leans over a car with birthday boy Sterling Hayden in a publicity still from "Naked Alibi" (1954)

Will Wright was only 68 when he died? I don't believe it; I'd have sworn her was at least 80. But then again I've said he must have been born old as the earliest thing I've ever seen him in he looks about 40. Nice picture of a mostly lovable old grouch.

photo 94295ffd-bf63-4bce-98ae-77c850834113_zps36f46101.jpg

Universal players Gloria Jean and rascals Butch & Buddy visit W.C. Fields and spend time at his pond in 1941.

On March 15 , 1941, the two and a half year old son of actors Anthony Quinn and Katherine DeMille wandered across the street from his grandfather?s home, fell into Field?s backyard fish pond, and drowned. According to Anthony Quinn?s recollection, he and the family were visiting Cecil B. DeMille that Sunday afternoon, and somehow the boy had gotten separated from his nanny. Fields kept a little sailboat in the pond, and that was presumably the attraction. Emergency personnel worked over the child for several hours, but it was hopeless. Following the incident, Fields retreated for three or four days, and wouldn?t talk to anybody. Sad.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsa85bff03.jpg

MICHAEL YORK is 72 today

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps94fbc4ae.jpg

RICHARD DENNING (1914 - 1998)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpsa1c6cd81.jpg

MARY TREEN (1907 - 1989)

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps66e32166.jpg

GLORIA SWANSON (1899 - 1983)

MEET BUTCH & BUDDY

photo ampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zpscddfb999.jpg

Child actors Kenneth Brown (Buddy) and Billy Lenhart (Butch) with W.C. Fields in

"Never Give a Sucker an Even Break".

The duo were in some films of the 1940s at Universal. They were cut ups and usually

rowdy rascals (also in "In the Navy" with Abbott & Costello.

If the bios are accurate, Kenneth (Buddy) is 82 now and Billy (Butch) is currently 83.

Seems like the kids led a good life.

I remember reading some where that Fields was so distraught over the child's death that he had the pond cemented over..