Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bansi4

*CANDIDS* 2

Joe, Thanks for posting my Heartrob Ricky Nelson's photo :)

In that photo of John Archer I see some resemblance to both Ozzie Nelson and a little Dick Powell!

It was my pleasure, Lavenderblue.

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps

On location in Ceylon for "Elephant Walk", Vivien Leigh is unperturbed by a cobra round her neck. February, 1953 (Elizabeth Taylor eventually got the role)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zp

ALBERT FINNEY is 78 today

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_

GLENDA JACKSON is 78 today

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PEDRO ARMENDDARIZ  (1912 - 1963)  suicide

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps

On location in Ceylon for "Elephant Walk", Vivien Leigh is unperturbed by a cobra round her neck. February, 1953 (Elizabeth Taylor eventually got the role)

I'm glad she is so unperturbed.  There's no way I could sit calmly with a cobra or any snake around my neck.

I'm glad she is so unperturbed.  There's no way I could sit calmly with a cobra or any snake around my neck.

Well, OF COURSE you'd be more than a little 'perturbed" if you found a cobra wrapped around YOUR neck sewannie, because YOU apparently are of sound mind and body. But on the OTHER hand, I THINK we ALL know that the beautiful Vivien WASN'T exactly "playin' with a full deck of cards" sometimes back in the day, now don't WE???!!! ;)

LOL

Well, OF COURSE you'd be more than a little 'perturbed" if you found a cobra wrapped around YOUR neck sewannie, because YOU apparently are of sound mind and body. But on the OTHER hand, I THINK we ALL know that the beautiful Vivien WASN'T exactly "playin' with a full deck of cards" sometimes back in the day, now don't WE???!!! ;)

LOL

It was during the filming of "Elephant Walk" that Vivien was terribly ill and didn't have much contact with reality, which is why Elizabeth Taylor was brought in to substitute for her.  Stewart Granger talks about it in a book, saying they went out to her home to see what had happened to her, but she was very wily and difficult to handle, even though she was running around starkers.  They tried to get some meds into her but she was impossible to get hold of long enough.  She saw through all their schemes to pin her down.  Eventually they did get rid of the hangers-on who were taking advantage of her and got her on a plane to England.  I remember Danny Kaye being one of the people who accompanied her back for treatment.  Very tragic situation for someone as delicate and sensitive as she was.

It was during the filming of "Elephant Walk" that Vivien was terribly ill and didn't have much contact with reality, which is why Elizabeth Taylor was brought in to substitute for her.  Stewart Granger talks about it in a book, saying they went out to her home to see what had happened to her, but she was very wily and difficult to handle, even though she was running around starkers.  They tried to get some meds into her but she was impossible to get hold of long enough.  She saw through all their schemes to pin her down.  Eventually they did get rid of the hangers-on who were taking advantage of her and got her on a plane to England.  I remember Danny Kaye being one of the people who accompanied her back for treatment.  Very tragic situation for someone as delicate and sensitive as she was.

Dothery,

Was that the film she fell in love with Peter Finch? She would ultimately consider leaving Olivier for Finch, going so far, I believe, to the airport. Speaking of Elizabeth Taylor, she and Burton starred in a fictional account of the Finch/Leigh affair in The VIPS.

Dargo, thanks for that sensitive explanation regarding the lovely Miss Leigh.

Well Joe, you know ME...always ready, willing AND able to lend a helping hand around here..though of course, AND as always, IN my usual "sensitive" manner! ;)

(...AND even though my post was REALLY more about the concept that ANYBODY, and NOT just the gorgeous AND talented Vivien, who would wrap a freakin' COBRA around their neck, MUST be NUTS!!!) 

LOL

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaa_zps2

Ann Sheridan is given a brief medical examination before donating a pint of blood to the Red Cross. February, 1943

Dothery,

Was that the film she fell in love with Peter Finch? She would ultimately consider leaving Olivier for Finch, going so far, I believe, to the airport. Speaking of Elizabeth Taylor, she and Burton starred in a fictional account of the Finch/Leigh affair in The VIPS.

Yes, it was.  Granger says he was long gone when they were there, though, and hadn't understood her condition at all.  She was completely out of it by that time. 

I saw "The VIPs" again the other day and it didn't bear much resemblance to the Finch/Leigh affair, which occurred nine years earlier, to tell you the truth.  Louis Jourdan was beautifully devoted to her in the film.  Maybe it started out to be about it, but you know movies and how long they take to get made.  I was living in London at the time they made it in 1962-3, and the talk was all about the Burton/Taylor situation.  They were living at the Dorchester Hotel, which is very accessible, and people saw them every day.  I remember Ms. Taylor being quite nice to people who wanted to take her picture and would pose for them. 

Olivier said Vivien had told him years before that she didn't love him any more and wanted out.  She was already into her bipolar condition and really didn't know what she was doing.  Poor thing.  I always felt very sorry for her.

While I concede that that image of Vivien Leigh with a cobra wrapped around her neck is an eye opener, to put it mildly, please don't forget that these snakes can be devenomized. That may well have been the case in this instance. In fact, I have to think that it is almost undoubtedly the case.

Ms Leigh's "bizarre" behaviour may not have been as bizarre as it initially seemed.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

NANCY WALKER  (1922 - 1992)

691515a7-3420-49eb-8fa9-77664dcdd267_zps

CHARLES McGRAW  (1914 - 1980)

FRED ASTAIRE  (1899 - 1987)

Hi bansi4, see the full caption on my Vivien Leigh photo. Seems the cobra was harmless. :)

Hi bansi4, see the full caption on my Vivien Leigh photo. Seems the cobra was harmless. :)

Thanks, Fred. I'm glad that you cleared that up.

Mongo