*CANDIDS* 2

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ampampampampampampampampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

JACQUES BERGERAC is 87 today

JAMES ARNESS  (1923 - 2011)

JOHN WAYNE  (1907 - 1979)

It was while she was at the Hollywood Canteen in 1943 and with baby,that  a female Marine who had been quarantined with German measles left the hospital because she had to meet her favorite star and shake her hand and as a result of that meeting Tierney's baby was born severely  handicapped, deaf and partially blind.So sad....

That is heartbreaking.  My mom's younger brother was born with club feet due to my grandmother's exposure to a student with German Measles.  She taught that year when she hadn't planned to b/c the school was short teachers and my grandfather was the principal.  They both blamed themselves though the effects for him could have been so much worse as they were for Gene Tierney's daughter.

e0141000-57ae-4f7e-a214-f23df3784466_zps

War heroes Sid Flum and Robert Flicker, seamen wounded in the Battle of Midway, are accompanied by Kay Francis on a tour of Universal Studios

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

CHRISTOPHER LEE is 92 today

WILLIE BEST  (1916 - 1962)

VINCENT PRICE  (1911 - 1993)

Isn't it amazing how the Aurness brothers, like Jackie Cooper, never changed through the years except for their names?  You know who those boys are just by looking. 

I got a kick out of James and John Wayne sharing a birthday.  Wayne was his mentor, using him in many films and recommending him for Gunsmoke  when he wasn't ready to do TV.  Arness later made his own versions of Red River and The Alamo.

What great photos of two of our favorite horror stars who look anything but.  Mr. Price is definitely ringing my chimes here. 

• Like 1

James Cagney strums a guitar for Irene Papas on the Colorado location of "Tribute to a Bad Man" in 1956

5d0d1907-f78e-4f13-811f-d8cd1dde1eda_zps

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LUCILE WATSON

A sterling character actress, I forgot her birthday today. Shame on me.

Wowsers! Carroll might have been Cher's inspiration. :D

Wowsers indeed!!  I will take Carroll over Cher any day!!  Wowsers!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Joe, for the photo of my crush, the handsome Mr. Payne. (Is it wrong to have a crush on a man who's older than your own father?  :wub:  ) I believe his birthday was actually on May 23. He and Gloria were married from 1944 to 1950 and had two children, Kathleen and Thomas. He also had a daughter, Julie, from his previous marriage to Anne Shirley.

Midge, you are right. John Payne's birthday was on the 23rd. It looks like I need new glasses  since I thought th 3 was an 8 (from a distance and my blurred vision). Thanks for the the heads up.

• Like 1

ampampampampampampampampampaaaaaaa_zpscb

As visitor Paul Newman listens in, Marlon Brando talks to his agent, Jay Kantor, while a scene is being set up on the set of "Sayonara"

Vincent Price spends time with rocker Alice Cooper

OH me.. the "king" of horror movies.. meets.. um.. well.. Alice Cooper. :)

I wonder which one was thinking, "Welcome to my nightmare." (insert rimshot sound effect here, ha) :D

Ok, there now. I feel better ha. Thanks Mr. Mongo/Bansi.. I know,  I know. that pun was so bad,  I can hear folks groaning all the way out here in the midwest. ha.  :rolleyes:

And PS: I am no big Alice Cooper fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I just remember that song from way (so very way) back in the 70's, ha, and that was literally the first thought that popped in my head, so I couldn't resist. ha.   :D

What can I say.. You set me up so well, so I just had to say it.  :D

Midge wrote:

>>>>(Is it wrong to have a crush on a man who's older than your own father? 

Gosh, I hope not. I  have crushes on women who are dead ;-)

• Like 1

I wonder which one was thinking, "Welcome to my nightmare." (insert rimshot sound effect here, ha) :D

Ok, there now. I feel better ha. Thanks Mr. Mongo/Bansi.. I know,  I know. that pun was so bad,  I can hear folks groaning all the way out here in the midwest. ha.

Ha! You might find it interesting that Price did the intro to the song The Black Widow on the album...wait for it...Welcome to My Nightmare. I was a big fan.

Price did the intro to the song The Black Widow on the album...wait for it...Welcome to My Nightmare. I was a big fan.

Well, I had NO idea.. ha. Wowsa. the things you learn on here.

But THEN.. I have to confess to you.. I don't know much about either man.. ha. So when I saw your post, I went digging around in google, ha.. and what is really funny about all this..I SHOULD have known they worked together anyway. Because (true story) my very first exposure to Alice Cooper was a late night movie/video/special (I don't know WHAT to call it, ha) that he made way back in the mid 70's. I was about 11 or so, (I think) and it came on in the middle of the night one summer.

My dad was in the army, and I think we lived in Alaska at the time (and all the TV shows aired at least two weeks behind the rest of the states back then) so I am not sure if it was intended as a late night show or not.. I just remember it was VERY late (at least in my 11 yr old mind) and my parents had both fallen asleep on the couch and I was still up (though I should not have been by that hour) and there I was sitting around watching late shows on tv. (without permission)  

And then all of a sudden,  there was this CREEPY guy I had never heard of singing songs I never DREAMED I'd hear on tv..ha. And it was Alice Cooper. ha.  

But what is so funny about it (and the part I did not remember till I looked it up) is that Vincent Price was in THAT movie with him too. (silly me..I had NO memory of that at all.In my defense.. it was a long, long time ago and I am an old, old woman now.)  ha

I only recall just being totally engrossed in my first (and only) Alice Cooper "nightmare" ha. In fact.. now that I think about it.. ha. .that show probably DID give me nightmares, (maybe.. if I recall) ha. I just know I had never (ever, ever) seen anything like it. What can I say.. my Dad was a country-western/blue grass fan. I grew up with Ernest Tubb and Roy Acuff..and as far as I knew.. neither of them ever wore black eye makeup.. and had long stringy hair.. and sang songs about.. well.. stuff. HA. :D   

So I guess maybe Price did the album and then also the movie they made to promote the album , maybe. I bet the photo posted here is probably from  the same time frame for all that, then. (because.. well.. they just don't strike me as two guys who would naturally hang out together, otherwise, ha. (but hey.. I could be wrong) :D

And I  have to say,  over the years, I have heard other songs of Cooper's, but not too many of them stood out for me, other than just a few. There are some that I could even say I might (maybe..sort of be willing to listen to and not just want to run to the radio and turn it off.. HA! But back then, when I watched  that tv show.. wowsa, I was mesmerized (ha.. or so horrified, I just couldn't look away.. I don't know which. ha. :D  I am sure he is an acquired taste. :)

Meanwhile.: my all time fave Alice Cooper performance.. ha.. is this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoRbxePeDTY     HA! :D

PS: Mr. Mongo/.Bansi, sir.. sorry to take over your thread with all things Alice Cooper. But thanks for the trip down memory lane.. and for giving me a smile. :)

While I loved your walk down memory lane here rohanaka, I gotta question this comment of yours here...

...that he made way back in the mid 70's. I was about 11 or so, (I think)... it was a long, long time ago and I am an old, old woman now.)  ha

Your's Truly,

Methuselah...aka, 62 y/o Dargo  ;)

(...btw, Alice is presently hosting a Classic Rock syndicated radio program weeknights here in AZ...he's very funny and has great stories to tell about his years in the recording industry)