Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

e906566c-2297-4ad3-952b-1796575f68df_zps

Charles Chaplin visits Thelma Todd and director Mervyn LeRoy during filming of "Naughty Baby"

Joe, it appears that this photo was taken either in the parking lot of, or directly across Pacific Coast Highway from Thelma's Cafe which was/is situated along that famous thoroughfare just north of Santa Monica.

Here are a few pictures taken of the place which still stands to this day...the first when the ill-fated Miss Todd owned it,  and the second taken in recent times. Taking the time to compare these photos to the background behind her, Charlie and Mr. LeRoy, I believe you'll agree with my assessment here...

thelma-todds.jpg

cafe.jpg

Since "Naughty Baby" was filmed in 1928 I doubt that this was shot across from Thelma's Cafe since in 1928 she did not yet own her Cafe.

Hmmm...then I wonder if she perhaps purchased the property after the structure had already been built and a few years later than when that picture of them was taken? I don't know. However, I still believe the similarities of the structures, the arched windows and the angled facade in particular, and the fact that all three are sporting beachwear, give at least a little credence to my supposition that that was where the photo was taken.

(...hopefully our own "Thelma Todd", a TCM boards regular, will see this and know the specifics of this, and then be able set the record straight...not that this is any big deal, of course)

ampampampampampampampampampampampaaaaaaa

Porter Hall’s wife, Geraldine, and son, David, look on with director Lewis Milestone while the actor plays a death scene for "The General Died at Dawn" (looks like the kid is laughing at his dad)

I was surprised to find that the picture I thought was Jeanette MacDonald was actually Thelma Todd.  I assumed Jeanette had been heavier at the time and lost weight later ... Thelma was born near my home in Massachusetts.  Hers was always a big name in our area.

And then came Nelson Eddy ... a rock star in his day who couldn't go outside without being mobbed.  Girls tore his clothes off and stalked his and his mother's house.  I remember him from the radio before I ever saw him in the movies with Jeanette.  Sharon Rich's book "Sweethearts" talks about how much money he made from radio as opposed to opera or movies.  That's a wonderful picture of him.  His recording of "The Lost Chord" will always be one of my happiest memories.  It had the "Our Father" on the flip side.  It was in our house for years.  I recall that he could be very funny, too.  He did comedy well.  His magnificent voice was the real thing that drew people, though.

I can never get over how handsome Charlie Chaplin was.  I remember when he was going to be married to Oona O'Neill, and how everybody thought she was crazy, since she was only 18 and he was in his 50s.  Her father Eugene O'Neill was livid and she told him "I'll never marry anyone if not him."  And there they were years later, still together until his death, and with a huge family.  Amazing man, amazing girl, long marriage and great devotion.  According to one of their daughters, they were very close, holding hands all the time, sitting together in the evenings.  A lovely story.

Joe, it appears that this photo was taken either in the parking lot of, or directly across Pacific Coast Highway from Thelma's Cafe which was/is situated along that famous thoroughfare just north of Santa Monica.

Here are a few pictures taken of the place which still stands to this day...the first when the ill-fated Miss Todd owned it,  and the second taken in recent times. Taking the time to compare these photos to the background behind her, Charlie and Mr. LeRoy, I believe you'll agree with my assessment here...

That looks like a pretty good Sherlockian catch there, Dargo.

I must be honest, I was too busy observing Thelma Todd to pay much attention to the background architecture.