Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What a great picture of the Cagneys.  I read Jimmy's book "Cagney on Cagney," and it was full of warm stories about the family and how close they were.  Jimmy's mother was a feisty lady.  He wanted to go into prize fighting and was going out the door one night to take part.  She asked where he was going.  He told her he was going to go out and fight this guy for a $10 prize.  She said, "Do you think you can beat him?"  "Sure," said Jimmy.  Then she said, "Do you think you can beat me?"  "No, of course not," he said, "and I wouldn't even try."  "Well, you're going to have to if you think you're going out there to fight somebody."  And that was the end of the prize fighting scheme.  He said that on her deathbed, his mother couldn't talk, but she held out her hand and pointed to Jeanne, and held up her thumb, indicating she meant her.  Then she folded the rest of her fingers around it.  Jimmy said they all understood, and said, "We'll take care of her, Ma.  Don't you worry."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ampampampampampampampampampampampampampa

RED SKELTON  (1913 - 1997)

LUPE VELEZ  (1908 - 1944)  suicide

CHILL WILLS  (1902 - 1978)

RICHARD DIX  (1893 - 1949)

GENE LOCKHART  (1891 - 1957)

Verna Felton was not only "Mrs. Jumbo" but those nasty old biddies who made her life so hard in Dumbo? That was real talent; I'd never have guessed it.  I think she was also 'Aunt Sarah" in Lady and the Tramp.

And, od course, there's "Hilda Crocker" on December Bride.  She was great in whatever she did. 

Verna Felton was not only "Mrs. Jumbo" but those nasty old biddies who made her life so hard in Dumbo? That was real talent; I'd never have guessed it.  I think she was also 'Aunt Sarah" in Lady and the Tramp.

And, od course, there's "Hilda Crocker" on December Bride.  She was great in whatever she did. 

She was, Star ... she was also Red Skelton's Grandma on radio when he was doing the Mean Widdle Kid.  He'd set up the joke and she'd fall into the trap and admit crazy things, as though she was Minnie the Stripper or something similar.  It was a cute routine and always made me laugh.  She was the ultimate straight woman.

My heart is broken today.  James Garner is gone.  There goes my dream of having him on one side of me at a dinner party and Robert Benchley on the other ... I know Benchley preceded him, but I thought maybe he could be there in spirit.  I figured Benchley could entertain me verbally and I could just look at Jim ... God bless him.  Rest in peace, Jim.

• Like 1

Verna Felton was also on a couple of "I Love Lucy" episodes.  In one of the episodes she was a housekeeper Lucy hired to help out after Little Ricky was born. As I'm typing this I'm chuckling as I remember how she made a peanut butter sandwich for Lucy after she ate all the other food in the Ricardo's fridge.  She was great!