Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My gosh, Shirley Temple is wearing saddle shoes in that picture!  She was exactly my age, and at that stage in our lives saddle shoes were an imperative.  But they had to be dirty.  If the white part of the shoes was clean, you were ostracized as some kind of a freak.  Ah, those were the days ... nutty fads that we never questioned.

Trouble in paradise for birthday gal Shelley Winters and hubby Anthony Franciosa

Why trouble?   Because they are in a sheriff office and Tony appears to be wearing handcluffs OR because it appears Shelley isn't wearing her wedding ring?   Maybe both!  

Why trouble?   Because they are in a sheriff office and Tony appears to be wearing handcluffs OR because it appears Shelley isn't wearing her wedding ring?   Maybe both!  

It might have something to do with this incident, and would explain her not having a wedding ring, since at that time they weren't yet married.  Why she'd be pushing him in the face is anybody's guess, however.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19570420&id=EtJaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GmwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4730,3467254

It might have something to do with this incident, and would explain her not having a wedding ring, since at that time they weren't yet married.  Why she'd be pushing him in the face is anybody's guess, however.

Thanks for the link.  Interesting.   I wonder if Tony was a mentor of Sean Pean?   

As for Shelley pushing him in the face;   As you can see I didn't ask about that because that to me wasn't something unusual!  ;)

ampampampampampampampampampampampampampa

David Ladd visits his dad, Alan, on the "Saskatchewan" location at Banff Nation Park in the Canadian Rockies

Thanks for the photo of Alan Ladd and son David. David would be cast in two of his father's westerns later in the '50s, The Big Land and The Proud Rebel, in the latter film giving a genuinely touching perfromance as Ladd's mute son.

Raoul Walsh's Saskatchewan. It's set in the flattest province of Canada so naturally they filmed in it in the Rockies in Alberta. Makes perfect sense to me. ;)

Oscar nominated costume designer Irene.
Doris Day wrote in her 1975 autobiography that she got to know Irene quite well. One night after Irene had a few drinks, Irene told Day that the "love of her life" was Gary Cooper. On several other occasions Irene spoke about the intensity of her love for Cooper, and Day got the feeling that Irene had never mentioned this to anyone before her. Day wrote that today she honestly could not tell if they actually had or were having an affair, or if it was a one-sided love. Irene took her own life about a year and a half after Cooper's death from cancer.
On November 15th, 1962, she took a room at the Knickerbocker Hotel in Los Angeles, under an assumed name. She cut her wrists. This did not prove immediately fatal so she jumped to her death from the fourteenth floor window. Her suicide note read: "I'm sorry. This is the best way. Get someone very good to design and be happy. I love you all. Irene."

She was 61 years old.

Oscar nominated costume designer Irene.

Doris Day wrote in her 1975 autobiography that she got to know Irene quite well. One night after Irene had a few drinks, Irene told Day that the "love of her life" was Gary Cooper. On several other occasions Irene spoke about the intensity of her love for Cooper, and Day got the feeling that Irene had never mentioned this to anyone before her. Day wrote that today she honestly could not tell if they actually had or were having an affair, or if it was a one-sided love. Irene took her own life about a year and a half after Cooper's death from cancer.

On November 15th, 1962, she took a room at the Knickerbocker Hotel in Los Angeles, under an assumed name. She cut her wrists. This did not prove immediately fatal so she jumped to her death from the fourteenth floor window. Her suicide note read: "I'm sorry. This is the best way. Get someone very good to design and be happy. I love you all. Irene."

She was 61 years old.

That is a very sad end to her story.  Very sad.