Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*CANDIDS* 2

bansi4

How I loved Alastair Sim's reading of a line.  The one from "St. Trinian's" that I will always remember (and I hope I have it verbatim) is the one he uttered as Headmistress of the school when he entered the teachers' lounge, smoky and full of pool-playing slatterns:  "This room always reminds me of a ladies' powder room in Port Said."

Alan Ladd looks very cute in his flight suit.  I remember June Allyson's autobio, in which she said Dick Powell told her she could have her walks with Ladd, and her long talks with him, but she couldn't marry him.  Powell refused to move out when she divorced him, and they reconciled quickly.  I was surprised at some of the things she said in that book ... early on, when they were first engaged, she would tell stories about how romantic his proposal was, apparently for public consumption, movie magazine stuff, but in the book written so many years later she said she stormed and raged and insisted he marry her, until he finally gave in.  She was very young at the time and he was a lot older.  He loved her and always treated her well, but sometimes like a father.  He sold their house without telling her, for example.  He took charge of everything, including her love affair.  Sue Ladd called Powell one night and told him June and Alan were out having dinner together.  He said, "Do you want to talk to her?  She's right here."  She could be quite difficult, according to Helen Rose, who said they always sighed when they saw they had to design her costumes, but when it came to Dick Powell she was putty in his hands.

Alan Ladd looks very cute in his flight suit.  I remember June Allyson's autobio, in which she said Dick Powell told her she could have her walks with Ladd, and her long talks with him, but she couldn't marry him.  Powell refused to move out when she divorced him, and they reconciled quickly.  I was surprised at some of the things she said in that book ... early on, when they were first engaged, she would tell stories about how romantic his proposal was, apparently for public consumption, movie magazine stuff, but in the book written so many years later she said she stormed and raged and insisted he marry her, until he finally gave in.  She was very young at the time and he was a lot older.  He loved her and always treated her well, but sometimes like a father.  He sold their house without telling her, for example.  He took charge of everything, including her love affair.  Sue Ladd called Powell one night and told him June and Alan were out having dinner together.  He said, "Do you want to talk to her?  She's right here."  She could be quite difficult, according to Helen Rose, who said they always sighed when they saw they had to design her costumes, but when it came to Dick Powell she was putty in his hands.

Funny but Powell and Allyson were the same age as my wife and I when we got married.    I don't know if I would say 13 years is 'a lot older'.    That would be Bogie and Bacall.  ;)

:D Mongo:  I'm glad you had a great birthday.  For some reason I couldn't get through to the Board this week-end; when I tried it kept coming up that the "account was suspended".  It just came back up a few minutes ago so my best wishes are a bit belated.  I'll be up in Jacksonville, where it all started,  when mine comes up Wednesday.  Hope I can say the same thing you did when it's over.