Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

DON AMECHE  (1908 - 1993)

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

ELAINE STEWART  (1930 - 2011)

ALIDA VALLI  (1921 - 2006)

BARBARA PEPPER  (1915 - 1969)

CLINT EASTWOOD us 85 today

Birthday boy Johnny Weissmuller is pictured here modeling the BVD swimwear line, which he traveled cross-country to promote. At a hotel on one of these trips, Weissmuller befriended a little boy and taught him to swim. The boy was mysteriously accompanied by two big, well-dressed men at all times. Shortly after the little boy left the hotel, a package was delivered to Weissmuller with an expensive watch and a note that read: “Thanks for taking care of my son. —Al Capone”.

• Like 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

VIRGINIA McKENNA is 84 today

DOLORES GRAY  (1924 - 2002)

DEAN MARTIN  (1917 - 1995)  It's hard to believe it's been 20 years

JESSICA TANDY  (1909 - 1994)

• Like 1

DEAN MARTIN  (1917 - 1995)  It's hard to believe it's been 20 years

As a kid I always thought that Dean Martin was the essence of cool. He seemed like such a laid back guy with a great sense of humour, taking nothing seriously and having a ball. Later I read that he was very much his own man and a difficult person for anyone to really get close to, even with the legendary Rat Pack with whom he paled around. It saddened me greatly when I heard how deeply shaken Martin was by the airplane crash death of his son, largely withdrawing from public view after that. (So much for the superficial image of the cool dude who couldn't be touched by anything).

Yes, it's been 20 years and I miss good old Dino. The kid in me who idolized him probably always will.

• Like 1

As a kid I always thought that Dean Martin was the essence of cool. He seemed like such a laid back guy with a great sense of humour, taking nothing seriously and having a ball. Later I read that he was very much his own man and a difficult person for anyone to really get close to, even with the legendary Rat Pack with whom he paled around. It saddened me greatly when I heard how deeply shaken Martin was by the airplane crash death of his son, largely withdrawing from public view after that. (So much for the superficial image of the cool dude who couldn't be touched by anything).

Yes, it's been 20 years and I miss good old Dino. The kid in me who idolized him probably always will.

I always thought Dean Martin was super cool too.  In fact the Rat Pack (okay, the three main guys: Sinatra, Martin and Davis Jr) were really cool guys.  Dean's a good actor too.  I really enjoy his movies.  I love his voice, his music is fun to listen to.  His "loungy" sound makes it the perfect dinner music. 

I remember the first time I saw Martin and Lewis, in 1947, at the Capitol Theater on F Street in Washington, D.C.  They were so amazingly funny that within a few hours I had convinced everyone I knew at Arlington Farms (a government girl living complex just across the Memorial Bridge) to go and see them.  They were a smash that week.  Soon afterward they had hit the big time and were playing in New York and had their pictures on the cover of the big mags.  The act then was VERY loose, almost completely improvised, and Jerry was swinging on the curtains and Dean was doing the serious numbers but also wrestling on the floor with Jerry.

• Like 2

I always thought Dean Martin was super cool too.  In fact the Rat Pack (okay, the three main guys: Sinatra, Martin and Davis Jr) were really cool guys.  Dean's a good actor too.  I really enjoy his movies.  I love his voice, his music is fun to listen to.  His "loungy" sound makes it the perfect dinner music. 

As a kid I couldn't understand what people saw in Sinatra, especially when compared to Dino.

Today I have a good eight or nine DVDs of Sinatra (NOW I get him; the guy was a brilliant singer, and sometimes actor) while I have only one DVD of good old Dino.

Somebody once said to me that you can listen to Sinatra sing and he's great, but Martin, to fully appreciate him, was best seen when he sang a song. Perhaps there's a little something to that, to see that casual, comforting presence of Dean as he croons a love song adds something to the experience.

The other thing about Martin that I loved, of course, was his sense of humour and the perception that he was a fun guy to be around. This was possibly never more apparent than when he hosted The Dean Martin Show on TV for something like, what was it, nine years. Never had the impression that Sinatra was necessarily a fun guy. In fact, at times, he could be the exact opposite, particularly in his choice of criminal associates. That was another thing about Dean Martin - unlike Frank, he avoided the Mob as much as it was possible for him.

• Like 2