Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

JPSEPH CALLEIA  (1897 - 1975)

Interesting face. A combination of Tyrone Power (eyes), Django Reinhardt (general), a tinge of Cesar Romero maybe (faintly). I'm still mining the face for more. Very evocative. I didn't know of him at all, until now. Maybe that's why I'm seeing so many others.

• Like 1

Interesting face. A combination of Tyrone Power (eyes), Django Reinhardt (general), a tinge of Cesar Romero maybe (faintly). I'm still mining the face for more. Very evocative. I didn't know of him at all, until now. Maybe that's why I'm seeing so many others.

lafitte - check out a list of his films - he is one of those guys who is everywhere and still sometimes is not recognized - he blends in even if he stands out.

My favorite Joseph Calleia films are, GOLDEN BOY,THE GLASS KEY, GILDA, CAPTAIN CAREY U.S.A., WILD IS THE WIND, and TOUCH OF EVIL. Joseph`s role as Pete Menzies  in TOUCH OF EVIL was so good. PETE, working with his superior Orson Welles, in TOUCH OF EVIL was heartbreaking. Pete trusted Hank, and was his faithful colleague. When he discovered in the end that his trust was misspent, I found the scene where he helped Charlton Heston bring Hank down especially moving.

• Like 1

on righta6155b99-feda-41af-90df-6bec2cb5ca50_zps

Birthday boy Robert Taylor ()far right) is joined by Hpllywood luminaries at MGM. You know who they are,

Everybody but me. I am unsure about two of them. The man to Clark's right ... Robert Montgomery? And the lady to the right ... Roz?

EDIT: right, not left

Edited by laffite

Everybody but me. I am unsure about two of them. The man to Clark's right ... Robert Montgomery? And the lady to the right ... Roz?

EDIT: right, not left

Yep, you got 'em, laffite.

I always liked Joseph Calleia.  He seemed to epitomize all those character actors we recognized but couldn't name ... I remember being with Milburn Stone when we tried to remember the names of some of them.  I recall we were talking about George Zucco and Martin Koslov.  We wracked our brains but couldn't come up with Zucco.  Calleia's best remembered (by me, at least) for his part as the detective in "Gilda."

Calleia's best remembered (by me, at least) for his part as the detective in "Gilda."

I always think of him as Dancer in After the Thin Man.

Apparently, after he died, the government of Malta (where he'd grown up, and where he returned in retirement) issued two commemorative stamps in his honor.

cee9be97-5b73-485b-86c7-c4550c7134d4_zps

A long forgotten Hollywood scandal was about the birthday boy Paul Kelly, Dorothy Mackaye and Ray Raymond case. I am still trying to figure out details about that one. It happened so long ago, but its as juicy today as it was in the late 20's. Handsome Paul was having an affair with Ray's wife Dorothy, and when the two men wound up in a fist fight, Ray died two days later, resulting in a scandal, prison, and gossip, gossip gossip.