Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Years ago I met Joyce Reynolds, who lived here on the Big Island of Hawaii, and typed a screenplay for her.  She told me that she and Joan Fontaine had loved Charles Boyer so much when they made "The Constant Nymph" that they used to wait for him to come in every morning and would greet him joyfully, to spend as much time with him as they could.  Apparently he was a delightful man, both to know personally and to work with.  R.I.P.

Dothery, it's my understanding that Joan Leslie was originally to be cast as the lead in The Constant Nymph, replaced by Joan Fontaine. Joyce Reynolds and Joan Leslie had a striking similarity in appearance and would have been completely believable as sisters. I believe (I could be wrong here) that Reynolds was cast in her part before Fontaine became the female star of the film, but, fortunately for her, she was not replaced, as well.

Thanks very much for your anecdote about Joyce Reynolds, a real little cutie back in the '40s, who never had quite the same luck as did Joan Leslie at Warner Brothers. I well recall Reynolds as part of the female chorus supporting Ann Sheridan in her "Love Isn't Born" number in Thank Your Lucky Stars. Plus, of course, after Reynolds's film, Janie, was popular enough for a sequel, Janie Gets Married, who replaced her in the title role? Joan Leslie!

Thanks for the info about Joyce Reynolds, Tom.  She was a delightful person.  I used to run into her now and then in Kona.  She never went into those things when I knew her.  I asked her once why she didn't write a book about her film career like everyone else, but she indicated she didn't want to relive those years, which I take it weren't her favorite time in her life.  I remember her as a sweet, smiling lady who had a firm grip on her life and was pleasantly situated here in Hawaii.  Her name was Joyce White by that time.

Thanks for the info about Joyce Reynolds, Tom.  She was a delightful person.  I used to run into her now and then in Kona.  She never went into those things when I knew her.  I asked her once why she didn't write a book about her film career like everyone else, but she indicated she didn't want to relive those years, which I take it weren't her favorite time in her life.  I remember her as a sweet, smiling lady who had a firm grip on her life and was pleasantly situated here in Hawaii.  Her name was Joyce White by that time.

Thanks Dothery. It looks like Joyce Reynolds may have found a satisfaction in her later liife that was denied her during her Hollywood years.

DEAN JONES  (1931 - 2015)  R.I.P.

A fine actor and wonderful Christian gentleman who turned his life around and made it count for not just himself but others.  I also remember his wife, Lori Patrick, from her TV work in the 60's.  He is somebody the industry can be proud of.    

I still remember Marge Champion from the 2011 Festival.  She has more energy that I have and she has 26 years on me.  What's this about "only the good die young"-glad it's not true. 

I never thought of Alan Ladd as having committed suicide deliberately.  It sounded like more of an accidental death due to too much alcohol and perhaps meds.  He called Bill Bendix to see if he could come over the night before but Bendix couldn't come, which he regretted forever afterward.  Sad, sad.  Whatever it was, God rest his soul.

cccccccccccccccccccccc_zpsj1cjd0za.jpg

Dothery, according to his biography, the end of his love affair with June Allyson, his co-star in The McConnell Story (1955), led to Ladd's  late-life depression.

In November 1962 he was found unconscious lying in a pool of blood with a bullet wound near his heart. In January 1964 he was found dead, apparently due to an accidental combination of alcohol and sedatives.

Sad indeed.

• Like 1

Dothery, according to his biography, the end of his love affair with June Allyson, his co-star in The McConnell Story (1955), led to Ladd's  late-life depression.

In November 1962 he was found unconscious lying in a pool of blood with a bullet wound near his heart. In January 1964 he was found dead, apparently due to an accidental combination of alcohol and sedatives.

Sad indeed.

Ladd was drinking a lot and depressed as his looks bloated and his career was clearly in decline. There's been a lot of speculation as to how "accidental" was his death. He was, by anything that I've read, a terrific father.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ALAN LADD (1913 - 1964) suicide?

Well, there are still some like me who remember his immortal acting in Shane. Time has its way and many great moments in the past are forgotten. But not this:

Shane: So you're Jack Wilson.

Jack Wilson: What's that mean to you, Shane?

Shane: I've heard about you.

Jack Wilson: What have you heard, Shane?

Shane: I've heard that you're a low-down Yankee liar.

Jack Wilson: Prove it.

Thanks, Mongo for all the history you have given us.

Jake

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.

D. W. Griffith

cccccccccccccccccccccc_zpsj1cjd0za.jpg

Sad indeed.

I like this photo of Alan and June taken while they were filming THE MCCONNELL STORY 1955. Alan and June had chemistry on the screen, and at least he was happy for a short period during his later career.

Isn't that Ethel/Mitzi/Lucy photo from Ethel's wedding to Ernest Borgnine which lasted only a month and neither would write or talk about afterwards?  The papers reported she wore yellow and she's wearing a veiled headpiece.  While Mitzi and Lucy are smiling she looks a bit perturbed; trouble already?