Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George said once that when he and Valentino worked together as dancers in New York, all the women headed for Rudy to dance with him.  I don't see why.  Raft was just as gorgeous.  Those eyes ... and Raft was a marvelous dancer.  Rudy was amazingly good-looking, too, but I don't think there was that much difference in their looks.  Appeal-wise, who knows?  There must have been something to draw women to Valentino besides classic features.  I think myself it must have been his smile, very shy.  George had more of a menacing look.  He seems to have done well with women for the rest of his life; Betty Grable was bats about him for such a long time until she gave up hope that he'd marry her, since he was already married and apparently couldn't or wouldn't get a divorce.  I don't think she got much out of her marriage to Harry James except for her children.  He was an abuser and a really hard man to live with. 

I always thought that George was a pretty good actor, in spite of being accused of being wooden.  I always enjoyed his pictures.

When I was about ten I thought Lee Aaker was the cutest thing on TV and hoped I'd run into him when I grew up.  I'd never have recognized him from that photo; he looks like "Caitlyn" before the switch.  I'm afraid "the thrill is gone". 

I did not know George Raft was ever married.  I'd always read he was so devoted to his mother that there was no other woman that interested him.      

When I was about ten I thought Lee Aaker was the cutest thing on TV and hoped I'd run into him when I grew up.  I'd never have recognized him from that photo; he looks like "Caitlyn" before the switch.  I'm afraid "the thrill is gone". 

I did not know George Raft was ever married.  I'd always read he was so devoted to his mother that there was no other woman that interested him.      

Star, George was mad about women.  He had many flames throughout the years, but Grable was the longest-lasting.  There are lots of stories about him, some very flattering, since women thought he was the cat's pajamas in some areas.

Birthday boy George Raft with his wife Grace Mulroone attend the opening of Moulin Rouge in LosAngeles in 1957

Joe, I have serous doubts that that is a picture of George's wife Grace Mulrooney(yes, spelled with the ending letter 'y'), as George's Wikipedia bio page says that he married Grace "who was several years his senior in 1923", and that they very soon separated, and with Grace being a devout Catholic, she would never grant him a divorce. And thus, this being the reason he never married again.

And besides, there is no way that that very lovely and barely middle-aged looking brunette sitting with him in that picture when he was clearly in his golden years could have been "several years his senior".

(...well, unless of course Grace might've stumbled across that ancient Egyptian scarab that Ann Blyth found in that one Twilight Zone episode which granted her eternal youth, anyway...but I kind'a doubt that too) ;)

I'm still trying to get over the notion that Betty Grable was "bats over" George Raft. When I think of how lovely Betty was in that non-musical role I Wake Up Screaming the idea that anyone that dreamy could have ever been "bats" over me is a reverie of infinite heights.

(Though I am no fan of Betty, especially, I am hopelessly smitten by her person in that film. I hope Betty's birthday comes to us in the sooner rather than later. If I may so do, I would post most eagerly a cap of of her loveliness from that film)

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Birthday boy and senior citizen Claude Jarman Jr.
CROSS CREEK - It's been 65 years to the month since Claude Jarman Jr. left Florida after starring in "The Yearling." So much has changed since he last saw the woods and springs that novelist Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings wrote about.
Jarman doesn't look much different though, he's taller, of course. The blond mop of hair has turned silver. And there are some crow's feet at his eyes.

• Like 1

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Birthday gal Greer Garson with younger husband Richard Ney, her costar in "Mrs Miniver"
His divorce from Greer Garson wasn't a pretty one since he made some nasty remarks about about the ten year age difference between them. The public then turned on him since they adored Garson. Needless to say he didn't have much of a movie career after that.