Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joanne Woodward made that dress herself.  Joan Crawford said, snidely, "It's nice she can sew."

Doesn't Joanne's "homemade" gown beat a lot of those 1K+ things by "designers" worn Sunday night?  She looked like a real star.  Could Joan have done the same or even tried to?

That's a really great photo of Jean Harlow.  She looks natural there while in her b&w movies the film made her white hair look so phony that she came across as cheap and tarty even when she was a decent girl.  I get her appeal now.

David Niven was the only one of those "British drawing room" actors I really liked.  He looks so charming and likable here.

Charles Durning was at Normandy although he's said he was injured early in the battle and didn't do much fighting.  He was there; that's enough for me.

Great few days of photos.  Thanks.

• Like 1

What a sad little girl Jean Harlow was, although she looks anything but.  I was surprised at "Love, Laughter and Tears," by Adela Rogers St. John, in which she talks about being waylaid at San Simeon as soon as she arrived, with the news that Harlow wanted to see her as soon as she got there.  She went to her room, and Jean asked her to go with her to William Powell's room, where she told him to tell Adela what he'd told her.  He was really unhappy about it, but Harlow persisted, and it turned out he had said he wouldn't marry Jean, although he loved her dearly.  He had been married to a blonde bombshell before (Carole Lombard) and didn't want to go through it again.  Jean begged and pleaded, but he said no, he couldn't.  Adela left, with Jean sobbing her heart out.  She said she'd never seen anyone so heartbroken.  Such a beautiful girl, but with such bad luck with men.  She didn't live much longer.

What a sad little girl Jean Harlow was, although she looks anything but. I was surprised at "Love, Laughter and Tears," by Adela Rogers St. John, in which she talks about being waylaid at San Simeon as soon as she arrived, with the news that Harlow wanted to see her as soon as she got there. She went to her room, and Jean asked her to go with her to William Powell's room, where she told him to tell Adela what he'd told her. He was really unhappy about it, but Harlow persisted, and it turned out he had said he wouldn't marry Jean, although he loved her dearly. He had been married to a blonde bombshell before (Carole Lombard) and didn't want to go through it again. Jean begged and pleaded, but he said no, he couldn't. Adela left, with Jean sobbing her heart out. She said she'd never seen anyone so heartbroken. Such a beautiful girl, but with such bad luck with men. She didn't live much longer.

That's a very informative story. Because I always wondered why William Powell had a breakdown after Jean Harlow died; I had no idea there was some kind of a guilt or remorse involved. However, apparently, he went on to have a very happy life for number of decades.

634e0b41-8b3b-4c8e-a024-e827eb3ab9a4_zps

So sorry and sad to hear that my movie buddy Robert Osborne has passed away.
I met him in Atlanta when I was one of the 15 lucky people chosen to present a film
with Robert on TCM. The movie was "Double Indemnity", he also told me some
stories about one of his favorite stars, Barbara Stanwyck. It was a total delight.
Needless to say I will miss him and never forget him, Rest in peace my friend.

• Like 6