Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy National Silent Movie Day!

SweetSue

So glad TCM is celebrating and I get to start my morning by watching one of my favorite films City Lights😊

Though everyday should be silent movie day in my opinion🤣

https://www.nationalsilentmovieday.org/

I wish I could've hosted a watch party or something today haha, anyone have any special plans? What's your go to silent film?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I can generally take or leave most silents.  Silent comedies are more to my liking.  All depends on what it is and about.  Like  Georges Milies  early camera trickery is hard for me to resist.  ;) 

I'll keep an eye out for what's being offered over the day.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks for drawing attention to National Silent Movie Day,  Sweet Sue !  

I love silent movies.   Some of my favourites are Sunrise,  Metropolis,  City Lights,  ...sorry, that list is a bit predictable.  I know I can think of lots more,  but often I can't remember the titles.

Oooo I have yet to see Sunrise and would like to very much! And you can never go wrong with the classics, I have to watch City Lights at least once a year or I'm just not myself😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Gosh!  I forgot all about it!  :o

Otherwise I'd have sent out Happy Silent Movie Day cards!!  ;)

Sepiatone

Why bother being sarcastic about something as nice as a National Silent Movie Day ? I know you said you don't really enjoy them,  lots of people don't,  that's fine.   But no need to make fun of the fact that such a day exists.  Hey,  it's important to think of ways to remember these ancient movies, otherwise they may be forgotten,  which would be a huge loss.

edit:  ok,  I know you were just joking.  I guess SweetSue lives up to her name,  since she's being much more good-natured about your joke than I was.  B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Why bother being sarcastic about something as nice as a National Silent Movie Day ? I know you said you don't really enjoy them,  lots of people don't,  that's fine.   But no need to make fun of the fact that such a day exists.  Hey,  it's important to think of ways to remember these ancient movies, otherwise they may be forgotten,  which would be a huge loss.

edit:  ok,  I know you were just joking.  I guess SweetSue lives up to her name,  since she's being much more good-natured about your joke than I was.  B)

Oh my, that joke apparently went whoosh right over my head I actually thought Sepia was genuine. 😂 I really need to read into sarcasm better, I just always try and see the good in people I guess whoops!Thank you MissWonderly for clearing that up😅

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, Misswonderly knows that I meant no serious or nasty harm.  Just havin' a bit o' fun.   

Sepiatone

I figured as much, no harm done, seems like you got a reputation here bein the joker and I'm just now figuring it out😉

Here are some resources of interest to further celebrate today!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I meant to post about this, but forgot, Thanks, Miss W. I noticed they were showing all silents, Not that is was National Silent Movie Day. Hope this is more of a trend and not limited to one day a year. You RARELY EVER see silent films on primetime or ANY time. Mostly only on silent Sun. nights. Unless they are doing a  Keaton/Chaplin thing.

• Like 1

I meant to post about this, but forgot, Thanks, Miss W. I noticed they were showing all silents, Not that is was National Silent Movie Day. Hope this is more of a trend and not limited to one day a year. You RARELY EVER see silent films on primetime or ANY time. Mostly only on silent Sun. nights. Unless they are doing a  Keaton/Chaplin thing.

I guess I should be thanking Sweet Sue, sorry!

• Like 1

I just saw The Passion Of Joan Of Arc (1928) for the very first time. I thought it was good, with great use of close ups and harrowing scenes of interrogation, torture and finally the execution. However it was in a 2 hour time slot and looking at Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide and on IMDB, it says it is 114 or 117 minutes long. The print I just saw was only 82 minutes. The short running worked very well, I am not sure I could have lasted nearly two hours, has anyone seen the longer version?

6 hours ago, SweetSue said:

So glad TCM is celebrating and I get to start my morning by watching one of my favorite films City Lights😊

Though everyday should be silent movie day in my opinion🤣

https://www.nationalsilentmovieday.org/

I wish I could've hosted a watch party or something today haha, anyone have any special plans? What's your go to silent film?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z6yueva0t17wzb8xaq

THE CROWD, GREED, SAFETY LAST, RED LILY,, CALIGARI, FLOATING WEEDS.......

just off top of my head....

:)

• Like 2