Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy National Silent Movie Day!

SweetSue

In addition to National Silent Movie Day, today, September 29, is Michaelmas. If you eat goose today, you'll be financially secure for the coming year.

goose.jpg

Michaelmas goose ‘spells prosperity for coming year’

"The feast of St Michael and All Angels was traditionally celebrated as Michaelmas on September 29 in most of the UK (in Suffolk it is marked on 4 October and in Norfolk on October 11) by eating a well-fattened goose. It is the first day of the new farming year when tenants would often present their landlord with a goose on paying rent for the quarter."

Carving-RoastGoose.jpg

"At many top universities and public schools the expression is still used in referring to the ‘Michaelmas term’. Eating a goose at Michaelmas was deemed to ‘spell prosperity for the coming year’.

The festival is still celebrated in many European countries with Michaelmas goose nowadays regaining popularity across the UK. Michaelmas goose is often known as the ‘green goose’ as the birds would have been fed almost entirely on grass stubble and harvest gleanings – in contrast to the Christmas goose finished primarily on wheat. They are a leaner bird than the Christmas goose which develops more fat with the cold weather."

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SweetSue said:

So glad TCM is celebrating and I get to start my morning by watching one of my favorite films City Lights😊

Though everyday should be silent movie day in my opinion🤣

https://www.nationalsilentmovieday.org/

I wish I could've hosted a watch party or something today haha, anyone have any special plans? What's your go to silent film?

I Have Three Favourite Silents; Speedy, the General, and Sherlock Jr.

With That Said though.. i know i need to Expand my Horizons Upon this topic. (Maybe I'll Start with Sunrise..) (😐).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

I Have Three Favourite Silents; Speedy, the General, and Sherlock Jr.

With That Said though.. i know i need to Expand my Horizons Upon this topic. (Maybe I'll Start with Sunrise..) (😐).

All three of those are some of my faves as well! But then again I love all of Lloyd's and Keaton's films😅

• Like 1

Be Natural:  The Untold Story of Alice Guy  was on tonight.  Fascinating film about one of the pioneers of silent pictures that most people including me never heard of.   From 1896 to 1920, she directed over 1,000 films.  Sadly only 150 of those survive. 

Alice_Guy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

All three of those are some of my faves as well! But then again I love all of Lloyd's and Keaton's films😅

*Pop Quiz* (If Your Interested.)

Do YOU Know, (a la Wheres Waldo); Where to Find the Great Stoneface (🗿🎩) in the Comedy Classic Its a Mad Mad .. . Mad World ,?    Far As I Know, Harold isnt in this Near Encyclopedic Who's Who of Laughter.  But Keaton Is. (Took me Years (And Years); & a little help to Finally figure it out).

I Imagine You Know Darn Well EXACTLY Where to Find Him in Said Film. If Not Though Lemme Know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

Do YOU Know, (a la Wheres Waldo); Where to Find the Great Stoneface (🗿🎩) in the Comedy Classic Its a Mad Mad .. . Mad World ,?    Far As I Know, Harold isnt in this Near Encyclopedic Who's Who of Laughter.  But Keaton Is. (Took me Years (And Years); & a little help to Finally figure it out).

I Imagine You Know Darn Well EXACTLY Where to Find Him in Said Film. If Not Though Lemme Know.

Alas, I actually have never seen the film so there goes my cool factor I guess 😔 But as far as I know he had a longer scene that was cut so I guess he can only be seen around the 3:40 mark in this video https://youtu.be/CIOoQq3NOu8 whatever scene that may be haha. If someone could point me to where I can watch the movie in its entirety though I'd be very grateful☺️

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Swithin said:

In addition to National Silent Movie Day, today, September 29, is Michaelmas. If you eat goose today, you'll be financially secure for the coming year.

goose.jpg

Michaelmas goose ‘spells prosperity for coming year’

"The feast of St Michael and All Angels was traditionally celebrated as Michaelmas on September 29 in most of the UK (in Suffolk it is marked on 4 October and in Norfolk on October 11) by eating a well-fattened goose. It is the first day of the new farming year when tenants would often present their landlord with a goose on paying rent for the quarter."

Carving-RoastGoose.jpg

"At many top universities and public schools the expression is still used in referring to the ‘Michaelmas term’. Eating a goose at Michaelmas was deemed to ‘spell prosperity for the coming year’.

The festival is still celebrated in many European countries with Michaelmas goose nowadays regaining popularity across the UK. Michaelmas goose is often known as the ‘green goose’ as the birds would have been fed almost entirely on grass stubble and harvest gleanings – in contrast to the Christmas goose finished primarily on wheat. They are a leaner bird than the Christmas goose which develops more fat with the cold weather."

I guess vegetarians don't prosper?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SweetSue said:

Alas, I actually have never seen the film so there goes my cool factor I guess 😔 But as far as I know he had a longer scene that was cut so I guess he can only be seen around the 3:40 mark in this video https://youtu.be/CIOoQq3NOu8 whatever scene that may be haha. If someone could point me to where I can watch the movie in its entirety though I'd be very grateful☺️

Thats Sad.

Far As i can tell after a brief stint of investigation; said film is on one Plutotv and also (far as i know to best of my knowledge) on youtube for Free.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

In this excellent streaming presentation on a Russian website, you can see Buster Keaton at the 2:19 (two hours, 19 minutes) moment in It's A Mad,  Mad, Mad, Mad World.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I watched The Magician, the 1926 horror-thriller starring Paul Wegener, directed by Rex Ingram.

Horror film fans (Present!) will recognize the influence of this MGM production, filmed in France, on Universal horror "talkies," most notably Frankenstein. Turner Classic Movies' 2010 edition emphasizes the similarity between The Magician and Universal horror films via Robert Israel's evocative soundtrack. Israel exquisitely accompanies cinematographer John F. Seitz's nightmarish images and Ingram's melodramatic story-telling with familiar musical excerpts from Dracula and The Mummy (the title themes of both being Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake), The Black Cat (enhanced with the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Johannes BrahmsFranz Liszt, and Robert Schumann), and Werewolf of London (score by Karl Hajos). I could easily imagine a sound remake by Universal Pictures starring Bela Lugosi as sinister hypnotist Oliver Haddo*.

Eighty-nine minutes definitely well spent! Thank you, TCM!

MV5BYzk1YzcyZDgtMmUwYy00ZmMzLTk4NWYtYmE3

* W. Somerset Maugham, who authored the source novel, based Haddo on Aleister Crowley -- also the inspiration for Hjalmar Poelzig in The Black Cat.

• Like 2

I didn't have any special plans for National Silent Movie Day, my husband and I were taking advantage of free studio time for the pottery class we're taking.  But afterwards, we got some sushi takeout and watched Peter Bogdanovich's "The Great Buster" documentary which was just starting when we flipped on TCM.  I own this documentary and have seen it twice; but I never tire of it.  It is a fantastic documentary.  Some of Buster's 1960s commercials and TV appearances were so much fun too.  I could watch him on Candid Camera all day long.  He is hysterical. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I didn't have any special plans for National Silent Movie Day, my husband and I were taking advantage of free studio time for the pottery class we're taking.  But afterwards, we got some sushi takeout and watched Peter Bogdanovich's "The Great Buster" documentary which was just starting when we flipped on TCM.  I own this documentary and have seen it twice; but I never tire of it.  It is a fantastic documentary.  Some of Buster's 1960s commercials and TV appearances were so much fun too.  I could watch him on Candid Camera all day long.  He is hysterical. 

Couldn’t agree with you more! His early stunts almost defy description. 

1 hour ago, Kikiki said:

Couldn’t agree with you more! His early stunts almost defy description. 

I still find it hard to believe he actually did some of those stunts without any 'tricks' being pulled?  Like grabbing onto a moving car like that?!?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I still find it hard to believe he actually did some of those stunts without any 'tricks' being pulled?  Like grabbing onto a moving car like that?!?

His unique upbringing may have freed him from the conventional thinking that would have given the average person pause to even attempt some of the things he did so flawlessly.