Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seventies movies where the cast is all dead

skimpole

I watched Silver Streak yesterday, and was struck by the fact that the actors playing the hero, the love interest, the FBI agent who is murdered halfway through the film, the comedic sidekick who appears shortly thereafter, the villain and his three henchmen are all no longer with us.  Which made we wonder how many seventies movies one can also say that about, assuming that we're talking about the five most important cast members.  Patton has only two major cast members.  Whether it's true of Airport or The Towering Inferno depends on how you define the five most important cast members, but of all th the other best picture nominees from that decade at least one major actor is still alive.

That's an easy one for me.  💀

BREAKHEART PASS (1976). 

All the main characters and most of the minor ones are all pushing up daisies.  (Along with the director, producer, writer, cinematographer, music 'scorer', et cetera).  

Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland, Ben Johnson, Richard Crenna, Ed Lauter, Billy McKinney, David Huddleston, Archie Moore, Roy Jenson, Scott Newman (Paul's son), Robert Tessier and Paul Frees (Frees dubbed Tessier's voice in the movie), Rayford Barnes, Eddie Little Sky, John Mitchum, Casey Tibbs, Doug Atkins all gone.    

Joe Kapp, Read Morgan and Sally Kirkland are still alive, but they only had minor roles.  

----------------------------------------------------

In regards to SILVER STREAK (1976)  the obnoxious conventioneers are dead, too:  Henry Beckman and Harvey Atkin.    

I ♥ cheerful topics like this; makes my mind work harder.  😜

• Haha 1

I know it seems like yesterday to a lot of us, but the 70s were now half a century ago.

If you watched a 50 year old movie in 1971, it would've been made in 1921.  That's why some of today's kids look at movies made in the 70s the same way many of us looked at movies made in the 1920s.  They're cultural curiosities to most younger folks.

• Like 4

I had to make sure this was a longtime regular, and not some newbie Millennial poster, since I couldn't imagine who else would be preoccupied with "Like, they're all DEAD now!"

(You'd think, with all the old movies on the exact same shelf next to the new ones, on disk and Amazon, we'd have the first time-blind movie generation that didn't care whether a movie was made in the 00's, 70's or 40's--When, instead, we have the opposite, a generation that wants to "punish" the 20th century, thinks it's their own private burden to improvise the new one from amnesiac scratch, and only knows a classic movie scene or song if it was referenced on Family Guy or Glee.)

And since Michael Caine is still alive, the cast of Sleuth (1972) is only 50% dead.

It's not all that unusual to come across 70s films where nearly the entire cast is no longer living. For example:

There Was a Crooked Man... (1970): Lee Grant is the only one of the first 16 listed cast members still living.

The Angel Levine (1970): Harry Belafonte is the only one of the 11-member cast still living.

The Organization (1971): Sidney Poitier is the only one of the 9-member cast still living.

Hannie Caulder (1971): Raquel Welch is the only one of 7 credited actors still living.

The Revengers (1972): none of the first 10 listed cast members are still living.

Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977): Burt Young is the only one of the first 18 listed cast members still living.

And so on.

If anything, it's more surprising to encounter a film like Uptown Saturday Night (1974), where the three lead actors (Poitier, Belafonte, and Bill Cosby) are all still living. Or even a film like The Landlord (1970), where more than half of the 11-member cast are still living (Beau Bridges, Lee Grant, Louis Gossett Jr., Robert Klein, Marki Bey, Will Mackenzie)--and probably only because most of them (except Grant) were in their 20s or 30s when the film was made.

When you consider average life expectancy in the US, the fact that the average age of most lead actors in their prime is somewhere around 40, and that they appeared in these films somewhere between 42 and 51 years ago, the result shouldn't really be a surprise.

Of course, that doesn't stop it from still being a bit of an existential shock, especially if (like me) you were born in the early 60s and don't think of yourself as being "old."  🙂

• Like 2

I remember watching The Trouble with Harry on TCM in maybe 2007 or 2008 and having delight with the idea that all the principal cast was still alive. And this was a movie from the '50s. This was maybe the only time previously I ever played this game with myself and with a more positive spin. I was thinking the kid in the movie was Ron Howard, but I'm looking at imdb right now and seeing it was actually Jerry Mathers, whom imdb says is still with us. Of course, we lost John Forsythe just a couple of years after my viewing. but Shirley MacLaine, as much as she may want to travel on an astral plane, is still on this earthly one, I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wbogacz said:

Murder on the Orient Express (1974).

Nearly everybody's dead, joining victim Foscarelli.

Of the major stars, only a couple of suspects still alive: Jacqueline Bisset and Michael York.

Don't forget Vanessa Redgrave.

5 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

If anything, it's more surprising to encounter a film like Uptown Saturday Night (1974), where the three lead actors (Poitier, Belafonte, and Bill Cosby) are all still living. Or even a film like The Landlord (1970), where more than half of the 11-member cast are still living (Beau Bridges, Lee Grant, Louis Gossett Jr., Robert Klein, Marki Bey, Will Mackenzie)--and probably only because most of them (except Grant) were in their 20s or 30s when the film was made.

When you consider average life expectancy in the US, the fact that the average age of most lead actors in their prime is somewhere around 40, and that they appeared in these films somewhere between 42 and 51 years ago, the result shouldn't really be a surprise.

Of course, that doesn't stop it from still being a bit of an existential shock, especially if (like me) you were born in the early 60s and don't think of yourself as being "old."  🙂

It's understandable, though from The Godfather Pacino, Duvall, Caan, Shire and Keaton are still with us.

17 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

In regards to SILVER STREAK (1976)  the obnoxious conventioneers are dead, too:  Henry Beckman and Harvey Atkin.    

I ♥ cheerful topics like this; makes my mind work harder.  😜

Two Canadians BTW.   Some of it was shot in Toronto.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skimpole said:

It's understandable, though from The Godfather Pacino, Duvall, Caan, Shire and Keaton are still with us.

Yes, but as with The Landlord that's partly because those actors were all relatively young at the time. Filming of The Godfather  was completed in August of 1971, at which time those actors were (respectively), 31, 40, 31, 25, and 25 years old.

Save for PAUL SAND and JOHN ASTIN, ( and a few others)most of the principal cast of  EVERY LITTLE CROOK AND NANNY('72) are gone.  Like...

LYNN REDGRAVE

VICTOR MATURE

PAT MORITA

DOM DeLUISE

MAGGIE BLYE

PAT MORITA

PHIL FOSTER

PAT HARRINGTON

Sepiatone

On 10/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, Sepiatone said:

Save for PAUL SAND and JOHN ASTIN, ( and a few others)most of the principal cast of  EVERY LITTLE CROOK AND NANNY('72) are gone.  Like...

LYNN REDGRAVE

VICTOR MATURE

PAT MORITA

DOM DeLUISE

MAGGIE BLYE

PAT MORITA

PHIL FOSTER

PAT HARRINGTON

Sepiatone

OOPS!

Seems in reality, PAT MORITA only died ONCE!  :o

Huh....  we could sure use a "blush" emoticon 'round here.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

I've gone down a more 'morbid' road in my movie-watching experiences.  I think of movies where prominent members of the cast did not die natural deaths due to old age. 

Like HANGOVER SQUARE (1945).  Stars LAIRD CREGAR, LINDA DARNELL, GEORGE SANDERS. 

Laird Cregar was killed by a crash diet in late 1944 before "Hangover Square" was released.

Linda Darnell died of burns sustained in a house fire in '65.

George Sanders was bored and took way too many pills in '72.

BE OF GOOD CHEER.