Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New member with a question

BonnyBlueFlag

Greetings.    

Is there anywhere in GWTW about raffling off quilts, etc to help raise money for gunboats?  I have a sneaky suspicion that there may be one scene that is a small part of a much larger scene, but  not addressed directly.

I am a contributing editor for CivilWartalk.com.  My screen name here and at CWT is Bonny Blue Flag.  I posted a thread entitled, "Petticoat Gunboats", relating this info about women raising money for the gunboats to help purchase these boats to protect their towns, harbors, etc. 

One member thought she saw this kind of raffle in a background scene in GWTW.

Anyone have information?

Thank you,

Kelley / ..BBF

After her husband Charles' death Scarlett was staying with her Aunt Pittypat in Atlanta and attended a charity bazaar (with dancing) in her widow's outfit. She was supposed to be manning a booth with raffle items but enlisted Rhett to dance with her. I can't remember what was being raffled (and there were other booths), but that scene would be where to look. She may have had a conversation with her aunt about the purpose of the bazaar, but my memory fails. Hopefully, someone else has more clarity.

There's a clip of the bazaar scene on YouTube in which Dr. Meade announced an auction in which men could bid for a dance with a lady, to benefit the hospital. With just that information it's not clear whether the whole charity event is for the hospital or just the auctioned dances. I'm still thinking there may have been a previous conversation between Scarlett and her aunt about the event and the reason for it, because normally a recent widow wouldn't attend something like that, so Scarlett would have had to argue for Aunt Pittypat's approval. At the event both Melanie and Scarlett contributed their wedding rings to a collection basket for "the cause", but exactly what the cause was is what we're trying to determine. Hope I haven't led you on a wild goose chase.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings