Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That print they ran of WHITE ZOMBIE (1933) was bad.

LornaHansonForbes

Am I nuts or is there not an HD, restored print of this film? The print they showed yesterday had hisses, pops, lines through it, and frames missing in certain scenes. The sound was also very tinny. This is, with the possible exception of “The Bride of Frankenstein,” my favorite horror film of all time, and it’s quite distressing to see it in this condition. Am I hallucinating or is there not a restored version out there?

I know this film is in the public domain, but I also know that they still have to pay money to broadcast it, and it’s peculiar to me that they wouldn’t show the best quality version. 

If I am wrong and my fevered mind has imagined a restored HD version of “white zombie”, then I am all apologies.

However, if I’m right, and TCM had access to the restored version and chose not to play it while instead pouring needless money and time and effort into the new DOUBLEFUGLY  REDESIGNS Of everything (Those chartreuse backgrounds and mismatched fonts are just ****ing hiiiiiiiideeeeeous  and there’s no better way to say it) then I am MIFFED. 

54 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I caught some of it but wasn't paying that close attention to notice.

It’s definitely a film that I can just listen to the soundtrack of, not even watch the picture, while I do other things, but in this case the soundtrack was so bad, there was that hissing and popping that you hear in a lot of 1930s movies. And tiny and echo-ridden...

21 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Here's a restored version of White Zombie on youtube.

My version of White Zombie looks pretty bad too. I don't think it's ever been properly restored, that still photo looks awful, like someone ran it through high contrast in PhotoShop.

Remember too, there were all different grades of film stock, this movie may never have looked good. Bigger movies shot with bigger stars warranted the most expensive film stock while kids programmers did not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TikiSoo said:

My version of White Zombie looks pretty bad too. I don't think it's ever been properly restored, that still photo looks awful, like someone ran it through high contrast in PhotoShop.

Remember too, there were all different grades of film stock, this movie may never have looked good. Bigger movies shot with bigger stars warranted the most expensive film stock while kids programmers did not.

No, The version that Fausterlitz  kindly posted is what I’m watching right now and I can say with 100% certainty that it has been restored and is in high definition and is excellent quality and is absolutely not the p|ss poor print that TCM aired yesterday.

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No, The version that Fausterlitz  kindly posted is what I’m watching right now and I can say with 100% certainty that it has been restored and is in high definition and is excellent quality

All I'm saying is that picture does not look like a properly restored movie, it's too contrasty to even see the faces. It was only made "high definition" which means upping the black/white levels in PhotoShop.

But glad to know they've cleaned the hissy soundtrack.

3 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

All I'm saying is that picture does not look like a properly restored movie, it's too contrasty to even see the faces. It was only made "high definition" which means upping the black/white levels in PhotoShop.

Oh yeah, it’s not a perfect restoration, not on the level that universal did with Dracula, but it’s still unbelievably better than a lot of prints that are out there because this movie is in the public domain. 

The print TCM ran yesterday was so bad that I could not make it through the film, and it’s one of my favorites. The print I’m watching on YouTube right now is clean enough that I can appreciate the film and at least understand the dialogue, although there is a humming sound. But what I’m watching is, I think pretty close to our audiences in 1933 saw. I mean the print that aired on TCM yesterday literally had missing frames Where characters would jump across the screen.

Someone somewhere has taken some time to clean out the picture on this to some degree, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for again, that copy that ran on TCM.

• Thanks 1

Lorna, I'm somewhat a nut about video quality so I took a look at White Zombie on WatchTCM.  I have to say that if that is what you saw I'm surprised that it would evoke such a strong reaction from you.  It is not HD / blu-ray quality there but not bad compared to other prints TCM shows.  Here's a frame grab:

k4Xhttq.jpg

So this makes me wonder if what TCM showed live is different from what is posted on WatchTCM.  From some of your past comments I suspect you don't have access to WatchTCM to make a comparison, but it would be nice if you could.

Kino Lorber released a blu-ray version of White Zombie in 2013.  If you saw a similar version of that on TCM previously then what they have now would be a major step down.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/White-Zombie-Blu-ray/56753/#Screenshots

White Zombie is currently scheduled to be shown again on October 31 at 8:45 am ET so we can all get up early on Halloween and check it out.

🙂

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Am I nuts or is there not an HD, restored print of this film? The print they showed yesterday had hisses, pops, lines through it, and frames missing in certain scenes. The sound was also very tinny. This is, with the possible exception of “The Bride of Frankenstein,” my favorite horror film of all time, and it’s quite distressing to see it in this condition. Am I hallucinating or is there not a restored version out there?

I know this film is in the public domain, but I also know that they still have to pay money to broadcast it, and it’s peculiar to me that they wouldn’t show the best quality version. 

tcm is peculiar because they...are slackers. when the great iconic horror star Christopher Lee passed away did the show the 2012 BFI restored cut of Hammer's Dracula?

THEY DID NOT.

I had yesterday off and so I watched White Zombie live. The copy I saw/heard appeared restored. Not at all like the public domain copies I've seen circulate. I was using the east coast  live feed of the WatchTCM app on Roku TV.  There were also restored copies of Doctor X, Mystery of the Wax Museum, and  The Vampire Bat being shown yesterday. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Lorna, I'm somewhat a nut about video quality so I took a look at White Zombie on WatchTCM.  I have to say that if that is what you saw I'm surprised that it would evoke such a strong reaction from you.  It is not HD / blu-ray quality there but not bad compared to other prints TCM shows.  Here's a frame grab:

k4Xhttq.jpg

So this makes me wonder if what TCM showed live is different from what is posted on WatchTCM.  From some of your past comments I suspect you don't have access to WatchTCM to make a comparison, but it would be nice if you could.

Kino Lorber released a blu-ray version of White Zombie in 2013.  If you saw a similar version of that on TCM previously then what they have now would be a major step down.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/White-Zombie-Blu-ray/56753/#Screenshots

White Zombie is currently scheduled to be shown again on October 31 at 8:45 am ET so we can all get up early on Halloween and check it out.

🙂

The mystery deepens!!

I use Hulu, I have actually tried to download the watch TCM app because someone recently told me that they have adjusted it to where it will work on Hulu or Roku television, unfortunately it still asks me for a cable provider which I don’t have.

I recorded White Zombie off TCM using Hulu a year ago, and it’s very strange when you record a movie off of Hulu, the recording actually expires after 30 days, but if the movie is re-broadcast the recording automatically frees itself up and you can watch it again, It is literally pointless to record some thing then, I may as well just watch it in TCM on Hulu because the films there expire in about the same amount of time, But whatever, whenever TCM shows white zombie it shows up immediately in my feed, and that’s what I watched yesterday with a TCM logo, and it’s what I’m watching right now, (the version that is running with a TCM logo) and I can tell you after just having watched the really clean version that Fausterlitz posted, this version is just not as good. There’s a lot of flickering and a very unclear picture. Granted it is not like a “walls of Malapaga” type situation, or a 1940s “ Gigi” type situation, both of those are inexcusably bad prints that TCM has shown in the past, but what I am watching right now with a TCM logo is DEFINITELY NOT THE BEST PRINT OF EHITE ZOMBIE OUT THERE!!

All apologies if this was a long, confusing, and badly misspelled post, I made it with my phone. Also I’m really terrible at explaining technology.

• Thanks 1

Literally, in the scene that I’m watching right now between the witch doctor and the priest, where the witch doctor is warning him not to go to the castle, there have been numerous scratches and there was just a severe jump (missing frames)  in the film. There’s clear damage on the print and negative...

But it’s sounding like it’s just entirely possible that for whatever reason TCM on Hulu is showing a bad print, whereas the net work itself showed the restored version courtesy of UCLA.

I did catch some of the mystery of the wax museum, and they definitely ran the pristine restored version of it.

24 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm is peculiar because they...are slackers. when the great iconic horror star Christopher Lee passed away did the show the 2012 BFI restored cut of Hammer's Dracula?

THEY DID NOT.

That is true, especially since they have such a cozy relationship with WB (Who I am pretty sure  still own the rights to the film, although maybe I’m wrong.)

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I didn't catch THE WHITE ZOMBIE, but I thought whomever was in charge of the  technicolor version of DOCTOR X  ('32) got  way to heavy on the GREEN.

Sepiatone

TCM ran a short that explained the Curtiz horror films were shot in 2-strip technicolor, thus the heavy orange-green shading.  We don't often get to see that technology, so compared to the glories of 3-strip technicolor it does look different.

It makes me wonder if there could be a computer process that could 'correct' the 2-strip color to make it look more normal.  This would be blasphemy for not respecting the original presentation but somehow that doesn't seem as bad as colorizing black and white films.  Just as an alternate version would be interesting.  Perhaps any such process would be too artificial and it would come down to a subjective decision on how to correct it. 

I don't mean to criticize the restoration of these films.  I'm sure they put their heart and soul into making them look as original as possible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The mystery deepens!!

I use Hulu, I have actually tried to download the watch TCM app because someone recently told me that they have adjusted it to where it will work on Hulu or Roku television, unfortunately it still asks me for a cable provider which I don’t have.

I recorded White Zombie off TCM using Hulu a year ago, and it’s very strange when you record a movie off of Hulu, the recording actually expires after 30 days, but if the movie is re-broadcast the recording automatically frees itself up and you can watch it again, It is literally pointless to record some thing then, I may as well just watch it in TCM on Hulu because the films there expire in about the same amount of time, But whatever, whenever TCM shows white zombie it shows up immediately in my feed, and that’s what I watched yesterday with a TCM logo, and it’s what I’m watching right now, (the version that is running with a TCM logo) and I can tell you after just having watched the really clean version that Fausterlitz posted, this version is just not as good. There’s a lot of flickering and a very unclear picture. Granted it is not like a “walls of Malapaga” type situation, or a 1940s “ Gigi” type situation, both of those are inexcusably bad prints that TCM has shown in the past, but what I am watching right now with a TCM logo is DEFINITELY NOT THE BEST PRINT OF EHITE ZOMBIE OUT THERE!!

All apologies if this was a long, confusing, and badly misspelled post, I made it with my phone. Also I’m really terrible at explaining technology.

Sounds like I would not be impressed with Hulu.  Maybe cable isn't so bad after all... (of course, I'm paying for it)  🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sounds like I would not be impressed with Hulu.  Maybe cable isn't so bad after all... (of course, I'm paying for it)  🙂

for the most part, I've been happy with HULU, but there are a few things that annoy me (as is the case with everything though!)

TCM ON DEMAND ON HULU tends to offer about 70% of what has aired on TCM for the past 15-30 days, and it's usually the stuff I want to watch 9although some things "fall through the cracks)

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings