Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mike Flanagan's " Midnight Mass"  on Netflix is a thinking man's horror series dealing with religion and how evil can use to take over people's mind. The arrival of a charismatic priest brings miracles, mysteries and renewed religious fervour to a dying town.   The series is slow and takes it's time developing the characters like in a Stephen King novel.  It pays hommage to "Salem's Lot" .   The show has some horrifying scenes involving animals  which has turned some people off- personally I was very disturbed by the death of a dog- but this is horror show after all.

9 hours ago, jaragon said:

Mike Flanagan's " Midnight Mass"  on Netflix is a thinking man's horror series dealing with religion and how evil can use to take over people's mind. The arrival of a charismatic priest brings miracles, mysteries and renewed religious fervour to a dying town.   The series is slow and takes it's time developing the characters like in a Stephen King novel.  It pays hommage to "Salem's Lot" .   The show has some horrifying scenes involving animals  which has turned some people off- personally I was very disturbed by the death of a dog- but this is horror show after all.

I watched Midnight Mass, and -- exercising all my willpower -- hung with it. I'm not really into mini-series. Tell me a story efficiently, economically, and above all, swiftly. I'm old and don't have time to plod through "character development" and a leisurely paced narrative.

"Charismatic priest"?

Yeah, the characters in the story  found "Father Paul" charismatic. Me, not so much. Au contraire, I found actor Hamish Linklater goofy in appearance, delivery, and performance. But, that's me. I too sensed the Stephen King vibe . . . which didn't thrill me. No Stephen King fan I! Stories set in small towns populated by small-town folk don't appeal to me. Ditto banal,  expository, echt-sounding dialogue between characters whom I find dishwater dull and a test of my patience. The last gasp of "Erin Greene" I found particularly prolix. Instead of being inspired and uplifted by her final monologue, I was thinking, "For God's sake, Woman! D-I-E already!"

For me, Midnight Mass was a follow-up mini-series -- after Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu: another endurance test for Yours Truly. One common connection between both serials was the (for me) annoying overuse of music. Am I watching a drama or a music video? Enough with filmmakers' overloading samplings of their favorite Pop songs past and present! Midnight Mass mixes in Neil Diamond tunes with bombastic hymns -- aural torture that sorely tested my almost overpowering urge to punch the Mute button for relief.

YMMV. Watching Midnight Mass was, for me, not a joy but a penance. On a positive note, it was better than self-flagellation or a hairshirt, and that's the best critique of it that I can give.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I watched Midnight Mass, and -- exercising all my willpower -- hung with it. I'm not really into mini-series. Tell me a story efficiently, economically, and above all, swiftly. I'm old and don't have time to plod through "character development" and a leisurely paced narrative.

"Charismatic priest"?

Yeah, the characters in the story  found "Father Paul" charismatic. Me, not so much. Au contraire, I found actor Hamish Linklater goofy in appearance, delivery, and performance. But, that's me. I too sensed the Stephen King vibe . . . which didn't thrill me. No Stephen King fan I! Stories set in small towns populated by small-town folk don't appeal to me. Ditto banal,  expository, echt-sounding dialogue between characters whom I find dishwater dull and a test of my patience. The last gasp of "Erin Greene" I found particularly prolix. Instead of being inspired and uplifted by her final monologue, I was thinking, "For God's sake, Woman! D-I-E already!"

For me, Midnight Mass was a follow-up mini-series -- after Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu: another endurance test for Yours Truly. One common connection between both serials was the (for me) annoying overuse of music. Am I watching a drama or a music video? Enough with filmmakers' overloading samplings of their favorite Pop songs past and present! Midnight Mass mixes in Neil Diamond tunes with bombastic hymns -- aural torture that sorely tested my almost overpowering urge to punch the Mute button for relief.

YMMV. Watching Midnight Mass was, for me, not a joy but a penance. On a positive note, it was better than self-flagellation or a hairshirt, and that's the best critique of it that I can give.

I agree with you that this would have worked better if it was shorter- Flanagan likes to give his actors long speeches and here a lot of them were rambling-  I thought the show picked up once Reily met the vampire- and the midnight mass itself was a great horror set piece

• Like 1
On 10/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, jaragon said:

I agree with you that this would have worked better if it was shorter- Flanagan likes to give his actors long speeches and here a lot of them were rambling-  I thought the show picked up once Reily met the vampire- and the midnight mass itself was a great horror set piece

I thought the actor playing Reily was kind of dull but yes it did pick up in the last three episodes- but I do wish something more horrible would have happened to the church lady