Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DUMB CLOSED CAPTIONING

booger61801

I am 72 and staring to need closed captioning. Fortunately 90% of the films on TCM are closed captioned, for which I am grateful, but the recent documentary on George Melies was infuriating. Every time someone spoke in French, the caption "SPEAKING IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE" came on the screen, sometimes obscuring the English subtitles that were part of the film. Even dumber, every time music played, a musical note appeared on the screen and stayed there all the time the music was playing. What's the point? Deaf people can't hear music. Are you just trying to make them feel bad?

1 hour ago, booger61801 said:

I am 72 and staring to need closed captioning. Fortunately 90% of the films on TCM are closed captioned, for which I am grateful, but the recent documentary on George Melies was infuriating. Every time someone spoke in French, the caption "SPEAKING IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE" came on the screen, sometimes obscuring the English subtitles that were part of the film. Even dumber, every time music played, a musical note appeared on the screen and stayed there all the time the music was playing. What's the point? Deaf people can't hear music. Are you just trying to make them feel bad?

Whoever made or distributed the film is responsible for the captioning.  TCM doesn't add these.    There are some platforms where the captioning is done in real-time by computers using AI techniques (similar to voice dictation for texting, etc.) but most films will come with captions provided by the studio and/or distributor.  TCM doesn't have any control over it.

From what I've seen, it's pretty common for films and TV shows where there's only music playing to have a musical note captioned.  I suppose it lets the viewer know that nothing is being said, and that the captioning is still functioning correctly (vs. someone thinking there's dialogue being spoken off-camera and out of sight).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, booger61801 said:

> sometimes obscuring the English subtitles that were part of the film. Even dumber, every time music played, a musical note appeared on the screen and stayed there all the time the music was playing.

The placement of captions can vary locations on the screen to evade subtitling. They are sometimes placed by the captioners intentionally high. This is very evident on network television, where credits flash, sometimes deep into the program itself. A consistent place is hard to find, since usually the captions are placed away from faces or actions necessary to plot. The ability of the viewer of the TV to move or size the image adds complication.

Usually, captioners rely on the TV owner her/himself to localize them if the TV Options allows personalization, and stick to transcribing the words.

Language unfamiliarity (since schools may not enforce those credits anymore) forces some to just insert [foreign language] as a catchall.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings