Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why, TCM? Why Mario Cantone?

As I said before, Cantone had a whole comedy stand up bit built around the song in the THE BIRDS. He's apparently still obsessed with it. Or maybe he's just doing his old act....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I'm surprised that I'm not familiar with Cantone. I guess the name sounds vaguely familiar. I actually record most of the movies I watch on TCM and generally scroll past the intros, so the comments and the way the camera moves tend not to affect me.

Cantone probably should not have made fun of the song used in The Birds. Hitchcock's use of music is always well thought out. He had the lyrics changed a bit, as he did in that brilliant scene in Ambrose Chapel in The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956). In The Birds, Suzanne Pleshette's collection contains a prominently displayed recording of Tristan and Isolde.

Do you mean the haunting, repetitive hymn in Ambrose Chapel "From Whence These Dire Portents Around".  It works so well to contrast with the anxiety and stress of the Stewart and Day characters.  As you said, "Hitchcock's use of music is always well thought out".  I'm curious about "Tristan and Isolde".

I caught Cantone last night when watching Little Shop of Horrors. He was fun. And he seems familiar with the movies he's chosen.

And that song in The Birds IS AWFUL! I always enjoy that scene where the kids get attacked! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 10/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, jameselliot said:

TCM could have booked Robert Englund, Tony Todd (Candyman in 3 films), Doug Bradley, Hellraiser), Barbara Steele, Barbara Crampton, Bruce Campbell,  Ken Foree or any number of writers or directors in horror. Cantone? MASSIVE FAIL.

I'd be all for Bruce Cambell.  He's a great guy and lots of insight and stories to share.

• Like 3

Usually the movies chosen in a set will be somewhat simpatico, but The Birds and Little Shop of Horrors had virtually nothing in common.  Mario and Ben were trying too hard to be funny and brought nothing new to the table, so I'll continue to mute everything in between films and not miss a thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I also agreed with Ben and Cantone wondering why Tippi Hedren goes into the attic.  I have always wondered why she went in there, she just survived a horrific bird attack, not to mention the previous attacks she survived and she wants to investigate?? What is she doing?  Regardless, I love The Birds.  It's such a creepy and fun movie.  My parrot however, doesn't seem to be a fan.

One interpretation might be that Melanie takes to heart she truly is "the cause of it all" as the hysterical mother at the Tides Restaurant accuses her of being, so she goes up to the attic as a sort of "penance", knowing full well the birds might be congregating there.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

One interpretation might be that Melanie takes to heart she truly is "the cause of it all" as the hysterical mother at the Tides Restaurant accuses her of being, so she goes up to the attic as a sort of "penance", knowing full well the birds might be congregating there.

The part when the hysterical diner mother screams at Melanie and calls her “Evil” is my second favorite part of the movie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I caught Cantone last night when watching Little Shop of Horrors. He was fun. And he seems familiar with the movies he's chosen.

And that song in The Birds IS AWFUL! I always enjoy that scene where the kids get attacked! :D

Me too! That song is awful and I appreciate the birds for putting us out of our misery. It’s never made sense to me why the kids run. I would think they would have been safer in the schoolhouse. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, agreed! Birds are all around and they decide to make for a run for it????? I always laugh that the school has ONE class! All grades in ONE! LOL.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, agreed! Birds are all around and they decide to make for a run for it????? I always laugh that the school has ONE class! All grades in ONE! LOL.

I also love the old woman in the diner who knows so much about birds and refuses to believe Melanie’s story. That woman is just an “odd duck” (pun intended). 

After the first attack, but definitely after the birthday party incident, if I were Melanie, I would have left Bodega Bay and gone back to San Francisco. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I also love the old woman in the diner who knows so much about birds and refuses to believe Melanie’s story. That woman is just an “odd duck” (pun intended). 

After the first attack, but definitely after the birthday party incident, if I were Melanie, I would have left Bodega Bay and gone back to San Francisco. 

That old woman is Ethel Griffies (Left), who, nearly 30 years earlier, thought that the tripe was tough, until Zeffie Tilbury pointed out that she was eating her veil.

untitled.jpeg

Mrs. Whack and Mrs. Moncaster in Werewolf of London (1935)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Vautrin said:

The provinces are the provinces; they are only ridiculous when they mimic Paris.

I assume from the accompanying photo that this is a quote from Balzac. Did he mean that the French Revolution (as also arguably turned out to be true of the Russian Revolution) was really a product of citified intellectuals, who cynically used "the masses" for their own ends? (Just trying to understand the Robespierre connection.)

2 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

I assume from the accompanying photo that this is a quote from Balzac. Did he mean that the French Revolution (as also arguably turned out to be true of the Russian Revolution) was really a product of citified intellectuals, who cynically used "the masses" for their own ends? (Just trying to understand the Robespierre connection.)

The quote is not related to the French Revolution. I was just quoting from another Frenchman with no

other connection to Robespierre. I'm guessing Balzac is talking about the difference between the provinces

and Paris and that each has its own manner of living. One of Balzac's favorite themes was the young naive

provincial who comes to the big city and is at first overwhelmed and out of place but gradually get used

to how things are done in Paris. Being used went both ways. The revolutionary intellectuals sometimes used

the engaged people of Paris and sometimes were used by them.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

The quote is not related to the French Revolution. I was just quoting from another Frenchman with no

other connection to Robespierre. I'm guessing Balzac is talking about the difference between the provinces

and Paris and that each has its own manner of living. One of Balzac's favorite themes was the young naive

provincial who comes to the big city and is at first overwhelmed and out of place but gradually get used

to how things are done in Paris. Being used went both ways. The revolutionary intellectuals sometimes used

the engaged people of Paris and sometimes were used by them.

What would Mario Cantone say about the French Revolution?

"Oh, that Marie Antoinette! Those wigs were hideous! I was so rooting for that guillotine!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
15 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

I assume from the accompanying photo that this is a quote from Balzac. Did he mean that the French Revolution (as also arguably turned out to be true of the Russian Revolution) was really a product of citified intellectuals, who cynically used "the masses" for their own ends?

Could have just posed this-----  ;) 

Anyway----Didn't see any of the post or pre movie "shtick"  with Ben and this Cantone character.  But did look in on that clip  of Mario someone posted.  My guess is that he's supposed to be(or has been) some kind of comedian?  But I though comedians were supposed to be funny!    I did see a between movie "filler" of Ben talking with Mario and my first impression was...

"Someone get this guy some DECAF!"    And another guess is that TCM is trying to attract those who unfortunately grew up watching this guy's children's show.  😭

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

What would Mario Cantone say about the French Revolution?

"Oh, that Marie Antoinette! Those wigs were hideous! I was so rooting for that guillotine!"

And eat what kind of cake? C'mon queeny, inquiring minds want to know.

I never heard of Cantone, which doesn't mean much as I'm way behind on pop culture and

celebrities. I caught just one outro and he was a little bit desperate for a good laugh. Whatever.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, Shank Asu said:

I'd be all for Bruce Cambell.  He's a great guy and lots of insight and stories to share.

Bruce would have been great. He's worked in horror and comedy for 40 years, he's starred in 2 TV shows, he meets and knows the fans and his contemporaries working in horror, and he wrote a book. 

I shut off The Birds when Ben and Cantone started up with the Hitchcock-Hedren story. I've seen The Birds a dozen times anyway.  As far as the reason the birds are pooping on humans, it was obvious to me as a kid when I first saw it that the balance of nature was disintegrating, a sign of worse events to come. Hitchcock saw no need to spoon feed the audience.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, speedracer5 said:

The part when the hysterical diner mother screams at Melanie and calls her “Evil” is my second favorite part of the movie. 

I always felt sorry for those two kids, having her as a mother, overreacting to everything, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/4/2021 at 6:50 PM, Swithin said:

That old woman is Ethel Griffies (Left), who, nearly 30 years earlier, thought that the tripe was tough, until Zeffie Tilbury pointed out that she was eating her veil.

untitled.jpeg

Mrs. Whack and Mrs. Moncaster in Werewolf of London (1935)

My favorite scene in that movie.  Very James Whale-ian even though I think Stuart Walker was the director.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I always felt sorry for those two kids, having her as a mother, overreacting to everything, lol.

I know! She's telling everyone to stop talking about the birds because they were scaring the children.  Meanwhile, the children are sitting there without a care in the world.  She epitomizes "won't somebody please think of the children?!" Obviously those kids don't attend school at the one-room schoolhouse, otherwise I would think they'd have been more affected by the bird attacks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When you think about it, are there any likeable characters in THE BIRDS?

Stupid Annie Hayworth, interminably pining away for the love of wimpy Mitch who initiated the end of their relationship by not standing up to his cold, selfish, needy, controlling mother Lydia.  Then there is blubbery sister Cathy, and last but not least, rich vacant ex-playgirl Melanie Daniels.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

When you think about it, are there any likeable characters in THE BIRDS?

Stupid Annie Hayworth, interminably pining away for the love of wimpy Mitch who initiated the end of their relationship by not standing up to his cold, selfish, needy, controlling mother Lydia.  Then there is blubbery sister Cathy, and last but not least, rich vacant ex-playgirl Melanie Daniels.   

I think the lovebirds are the only likeable characters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2