Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BARRY LYNDON (1975) on TCM 4:45pm EST TODAY

Wow I'm amazed. Not many people like this or Kubrick in general. I saw this in a theater in a "Kubrick" class and enjoyed it very much, but without any desire to see it again. Maybe I should!

I actually think Ryan O'Neal is a good actor....esp notable in PAPER MOON. 

• Like 3

I caught parts of it while it was on.  It would have been a good two hour movie; not great, but good.   At 187 minutes, way, way too long.

• Like 2

I remember when it came out a big deal was made about Kubrick's use of "natural lighting", and not much else.  And while I did find it visually striking, not much else about it was remarkable. 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow I'm amazed. Not many people like this or Kubrick in general. I saw this in a theater in a "Kubrick" class and enjoyed it very much, but without any desire to see it again. Maybe I should!

I actually think Ryan O'Neal is a good actor....esp notable in PAPER MOON. 

I've never been an admirer of Ryan O'Neal's acting abilities but I will concede he pulled off the title role of BARRY LYNDON very well.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I've never been an admirer of Ryan O'Neal's acting abilities but I will concede he pulled off the title role of BARRY LYNDON very well.

In addition to Paper Moon (as TikiSoo mentioned), his drolly understated comic performance in What's Up, Doc? is unexpectedly good.  Yes, it's a deliberate allusion to Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby, but it works surprisingly well on its own terms.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

In addition to Paper Moon (as TikiSoo mentioned), his drolly understated comic performance in What's Up, Doc? is unexpectedly good.  Yes, it's a deliberate allusion to Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby, but it works surprisingly well on its own terms.

Never was a fan of WHAT'S UP, DOC?. 

I'll take Cary and Kate Hepburn over Ryan and Barbra Steisand any day. I'm not a huge fan of Barbra's either. 

• Like 1
On 10/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, ElCid said:

It would have been a good two hour movie; not great, but good.   At 187 minutes, way, way too long

I think that's why I like it... long  motionless sequences ...

On 10/4/2021 at 6:28 AM, TikiSoo said:

I actually think Ryan O'Neal is a good actor....

I don't think I agree, but his casting in this film is perfection.  He is the perfect cad. 

On 10/4/2021 at 12:34 PM, Sepiatone said:

I remember when it came out a big deal was made about Kubrick's use of "natural lighting", and not much else.  And while I did find it visually striking, not much else about it was remarkable. 

Yes, but that was hardly the only thing "remarkable" about it... many commented also on its length! 

22 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Ditto; I think the character was dubious at best, so O'NEAL (though too old) was still perfectly cast. 

11 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Yes, but that was hardly the only thing "remarkable" about it... many commented also on its length! 

Well, as I dropped off long before it ended I had to look up it's running time.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

I've tried getting into this one a couple of times. Maybe if I split it up over a few days but in one sit-down I can't keep my interest up long enough.

I actually like Ryan O'Neal. I thought he was excellent in What's Up Doc?, Paper Moon, and the vastly underappreciated Nickelodeon and Driver.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I listen to the soundtrack all the time on youtube.

I have a used CD (expect it's OOP again) uploaded.  The vinyl also quickly went out of print.  It is interesting how academy award winning... eh "soundtracks" often fall OOP (Hannah And Her Sisters)...

46 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

It definitely put me into a trance

Definitely the way I reacted to these long "motionless" films like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY... films I now love and find endlessly watchable... DEATH IN VENICE is like that too... a snooze-fest... now, all favorites of mine. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, people complain about this film's length and pace, but is there any denying it is one of the most gorgeous motion pictures ever?

I'd be hard pressed to think of another... BARRY LYNDON just gets better and better for me.  I could see where audiences would have stayed away in droves. 

16 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Definitely the way I reacted to these long "motionless" films like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY... films I now love and find endlessly watchable... DEATH IN VENICE is like that too... a snooze-fest... now, all favorites of mine. 

"Endlessly" being the operative word here.  ;)  :D

Sepiatone