Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

photos of ACTRESSES and a couple of ACTORS

Hello all, nicer weather out there.  Can anyone help me with these photos:

#1  this is a silent film actress, i believe  but I do not recognize her.

UID0001.JPG

2.  another unknown (to be) silent actress

UID0002.JPG

3.  Back of photo of this starlet has an RKO Radio Stamp, photographer Bachrach and dated 1944.

UID0003.JPG

4.  I'm guessing this photo was from late 1930s.  anyone know??

UID0004.JPG

5.  This one is from the 1920's.

UID0005.JPG

6.  an actor, probably early 1940s.

UID0006.JPG

7.  i am recognizing (sort of) the actor on the left from a film noir film but do not recognize the actress

UID0007.JPG

8.   1940s actor??

UID0008.JPG

9.   1930s actor???

UID0009.JPG

10.  and one more silent actress.

UID0010.JPG

Thanks in advance for all your help on these!!

4 minutes ago, DickLindsay said:

which one is nancy gates??

Sorry, #3, I corrected my post.

I recognize #9 and can even "hear" his voice but his name escapes me at the moment

#2 is Mary Miles Minter.

For photo #2, I googled the photographer's name.  His full name is Melbourne Spurr and he was quite a famous 1920s photographer in LA, apparently.   He has his own IMDb page.  Starting in the 30s, most studios mandated that their actors use in-house photographers, so any film star photographed by his studio was likely from the 20s (this is from his IMDb page).  The marcelled hairstyle was most popular in the 20s to mid 30s, but I've never seen one piled high like that (almost a foreshadowing of the 60s beehive).

Anyway, I found another photo of her.  Same dress as above.  According to the Heritage Auction page (source of this photo), her name is Mary Miles Minter.  Per her IMDb bio, she was a child star.  Her career as an adult was scuttled at age 20 by a murder scandal and the rumors that the murdered man (director William Desmond Taylor) was involved romantically with her (he was more than twice her age).   Apparently the public turned their back on her.  Her public image up to that time was as a sweet innocent young girl (the new Mary Pickford)

Her last credit listed was in 1923.

Mary Miles Minter by Melbourne Spurr (1920s). Portrait Photo (8" X | Lot  #52298 | Heritage Auctions

Your photo of her can be found on her IMDb page.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

#6 looks like John Carradine from Mary Of Scotland (1936).

#8 may be a director, and #10 may be a writer. 

#6 is Carradine from that film:

Press Photo Katherine Hepburn and John Carradine in Mary of Scotland -  Historic Images

#1 is Viola Dana.  Used the same technique by grabbing the photographer's imprint from the corner.  But the script was so florid for the first few letters, it was difficult to read.  At first I thought it was McFeely or McSeely.  I even pulled up a couple of 1920s-era LA city directories to look for such a photography studio.  I finally learned that it was Walter Frederick Seely.

Here's another photo from the same session.  Her last credit was on an episode of My Three Sons in 1963.  

VIOLA DANA SILENT FILM LEADING LADY DBLWT W.F. SEELY STAMPED MOVIE PORTRAIT  1929 | eBay

Still no 7 is from the 1941 Universal movie "Man Made Monster". The girl is Anne Nagel. Not sure about the guy. Her leading man in the movie is Frank Albertson, but it doesn't look like him.

Here is Anne Nagel in "Man Made Monster" wearing the same dress as in the still.

Man Made Monster (1941) - Lon Chaney, Jr, Anne Nagel.jpg

2 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

Still no 7 is from the 1941 Universal movie "Man Made Monster". The girl is Anne Nagel. Not sure about the guy. Her leading man in the movie is Frank Albertson, but it doesn't look like him.

Nicely done! I believe that guy IS Frank Albertson (with the hat he looks different). Here is another  publicity still from the film. Note the same necktie.

cZdDhro.jpg

14 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

The actor in still 9 looks like he could be Rod LaRocque but I'm not entirely sure.

I think you're right.  I found a couple of other photos of him wearing the same tie.

Rod La Rocque Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock

File:Rod La Rocque - George Hurrell.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I think you're right.  I found a couple of other photos of him wearing the same tie.

Rod La Rocque Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock

I don't think our mystery man is Laroque, although there is a strong resemblance. Laroque's eyebrows are v-shaped, whereas the other guy has straighter eyebrows. Also, there are the initials AD on the photo which probably indicates his name. If I could just think of what movies I've seen that guy in I could figure out his name.

17 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Nicely done! I believe that guy IS Frank Albertson (with the hat he looks different). Here is another  publicity still from the film. Note the same necktie.

cZdDhro.jpg

Yes, I agree now that the guy has to be Frank Albertson. I guess I'm just not used to seeing him looking so serious !

6 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I don't think our mystery man is Laroque, although there is a strong resemblance. Laroque's eyebrows are v-shaped, whereas the other guy has straighter eyebrows. Also, there are the initials AD on the photo which probably indicates his name. If I could just think of what movies I've seen that guy in I could figure out his name.

Are you stating that the photos I posted aren't of Rod LaRocque, or that it's not the same person as posted in the OP?  The photos I grabbed were identified as LaRocque; the source for the second one is from a movie fan magazine back in the day that has been scanned in and is held by the Library of Congress, with LaRocque's name printed on the magazine page.

I can see that there can be some doubt (I am not 100% certain myself); my main thought was that the hairline is slightly different between the two.

My understanding on the alphanumeric codes on these photos, from posts in similar threads on the board, is that it's a studio code, that is usually tied to a specific film.  Others have mentioned that there are decoder books or lists, but I've not seen one published.

3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Are you stating that the photos I posted aren't of Rod LaRocque, or that it's not the same person as posted in the OP?  The photos I grabbed were identified as LaRocque; the source for the second one is from a movie fan magazine back in the day that has been scanned in and is held by the Library of Congress, with LaRocque's name printed on the magazine page.

I can see that there can be some doubt (I am not 100% certain myself); my main thought was that the hairline is slightly different between the two.

My understanding on the alphanumeric codes on these photos, from posts in similar threads on the board, is that it's a studio code, that is usually tied to a specific film.  Others have mentioned that there are decoder books or lists, but I've not seen one published.

The photos you posted are definitely LaRoque, no question. Thanks for the  reminder on the studio code.  

Hello everyone, and thanks so much for your help in identifying some of these photographs; I can assure you it is very much appreciated!

With regard to the alphanumeric codes on the bottom of the photos, they are indeed codes  from the studio, and different studios used different formats.  for example MGM had a digit production code for each film, and they were in sequential order.  So, I know that THE WIZARD OF OZ was production code 1060; if I know that the photo is an MGM production, and the code is 876 (for example), I know it was produced in 1937 or 1938.  MGM used different codes for portraits which were also in sequence, but a little more difficult to identify.  RKO used letters as codes  on their  photographs.  Sometimes that makes it easy, if you recognize the people in the photograph.  Sometimes, its not so easy.  SWING TIME was original titled "NEVER GONNA DANCE" and all stills from the film have the alpha-code NG.  So, if you don't know that detail but you recognize Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, you might not necessarily know the film is SWING TIME unless you recognize the characters clothing or a particular scene.  There is a movie-photo decoder book that I often use.  the photograph portrait of ROD LA ROQUE here, has code AD 3-16, and there are no films with the code AD which had ROD LA ROQUE in the cast........ perhaps there was a  name change, but I do not see any titles from the 1920s with the code AD; there is "ALIAS THE DOCTOR" from 1932, but not with Rod LaRoque.  ANyway, hope this info helps.

To further complicate things, I believe that #9 is an actor who was billed as Gordon Elliott in many small parts in 1930's movies.  In 1938 he shaved his mustache and played the lead in "The Great Adventures Of Wild Bill Hickock".  From then on he was in only westerns and was billed as Wild Bill Elliott.  He was in several movies series playing characters named Wild Bill Hickock and Wild Bill Elliott.  He was also one of several actors to play Red Ryder in forties movies.  Also, if you look closely at the photo #9 and the photos of Rod LaRoque, the neckties are similar, bit not the same. 

Here is Wild Bill Elliott.

William “Wild Bill” Elliott (1904-1965) - Find A Grave Memorial

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

To further complicate things, I believe that #9 is an actor who was billed as Gordon Elliott in many small parts in 1930's movies.  In 1938 he shaved his mustache and played the lead in "The Great Adventures Of Wild Bill Hickock".  From then on he was in only westerns and was billed as Wild Bill Elliott.  He was in several movies series playing characters named Wild Bill Hickock and Wild Bill Elliott.  He was also one of several actors to play Red Ryder in forties movies.  Also, if you look closely at the photo #9 and the photos of Rod LaRoque, the neckties are similar, bit not the same. 

Here is Wild Bill Elliott.

William “Wild Bill” Elliott (1904-1965) - Find A Grave Memorial

I thought it might be Elliott but I'd never seen him with a moustache and without a hat. But here's a photo of him with the stash and sans hat, and I think you are correct:

R5pUg7W.png